Netherlands

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Netherlands

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:48 am

I thought Netherlands was a safe place. Lots of bikers and tulip lovers. Not always.

Mother of American student stabbed to death in Netherlands 'totally in shock'
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/american-stud ... ories.html

"Papenheim, a Minnesotan native, died Wednesday afternoon after she was attacked at her apartment in Rotterdam, according to Rotterdam police and Minneapolis ABC affiliate KSTP. The suspect, a 23-year-old Dutch man, lived in the same building as Papenheim, and the two were believed to be acquaintances, Rotterdam police said."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Netherlands

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:09 am

It's still safe. One murder is not a killing spree.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:It's still safe. One murder is not a killing spree.

Now there's two places on Beaver's no-go list.
1. Park St.
2. The Netherlands

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:55 am

gargantua wrote:

1. Park St.
2. The Netherlands

how about the golan heights or north korea? chernobyl?
iraq? angola? libya?
iran? sinaloa? the tri-border region in the southern cone of south america?
chechnya? transylvania? papua new guinea? indonesian volcanoes?

there is a neighbourhood in nearby copenhagen, freetown christiana, which is, per mutual agreement with various levels of government, with the form of government being anarchy and it works quite well. it is enough to turn an open-minded conservative into an anarcho-syndicalist at the very least . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:25 pm

gozer wrote:
gargantua wrote:

1. Park St.
2. The Netherlands

how about the golan heights or north korea? chernobyl?
iraq? angola? libya?
iran? sinaloa? the tri-border region in the southern cone of south america?
chechnya? transylvania? papua new guinea? indonesian volcanoes?

there is a neighbourhood in nearby copenhagen, freetown christiana, which is, per mutual agreement with various levels of government, with the form of government being anarchy and it works quite well. it is enough to turn an open-minded conservative into an anarcho-syndicalist at the very least . . .

Coincidentally, I've actually been to Christiana. It's a very cool place. Kind of has a Willy neighborhood vibe, only with a European twist. Just about everyone we saw looked like the hippie stereotype.

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:31 am

The Netherlands is one of my favorite places to go.

When I used to go there for work (Sonic Foundry's office in Delft), I always had a great time. So much so, that I went back this year to celebrate my 50th. If you go, Delft is a great place to stay, medeival city full of canals.

On my first visit there in 1999, I got to my hotel and went out to find some food. After dinner I was trying to find my way back to the hotel, which I thought I could find due to its proximity to the canal. I did not realize that the city is full of canals. A Dutch guy and his 7 year old son saw me looking lost. When I told the guy where I was trying to get to, he said, my son knows how to get there, he will take you. So the little boy and I departed together. Very trusting.

Also, Delft has the old-church and the new-church. The new one dates from 1600, the old from 1200.

I may have to go back again this year, come to think of it. Also, the Dutch speak absolutely flawless english.

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:51 am

I'd like to learn Dutch and some of the local dialects -- and Frisian. They're interesting because they're so close to English. It's not easy because everybody speaks English so well that it's too easy to bail out whenever you're at a loss for words. I've managed a few three-sentence conversations but that's all.

I once went to Leeuwarden (before I knew about the NATO airbase nearby) thinking I'd be able hear some Frisian. It sounded like everybody was speaking Dutch until, at the end of the evening an older guy came up to the bartender to wish him a happy new year. What he said sounded different, much more frontal compared to the more gutteral Dutch.

I probably won't be doing any more of this. I don't travel alone any more.

Return to “Travel”