Vietnam

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Vietnam

Postby Beaver » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:03 pm

If you travel to Vietnam, don't eat raw or undercooked fish.

VA study shows parasite from Vietnam may be killing vets
https://www.yahoo.com/news/va-study-sho ... 34477.html

"The Department of Veterans Affairs this spring commissioned a small pilot study to look into the link between liver flukes ingested through raw or undercooked fish and a rare bile duct cancer. It can take decades for symptoms to appear. By then, patients are often in tremendous pain, with just a few months to live....

Though rarely found in Americans, the parasites infect an estimated 25 million people worldwide. Endemic in the rivers of Vietnam, the worms can easily be wiped out with a handful of pills early on, but left untreated they can live for decades without making their hosts sick. Over time, swelling and inflammation of the bile duct can lead to cancer. Jaundice, itchy skin, weight loss and other symptoms appear only when the disease is in its final stages.

The VA study, along with a call by Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer of New York for broader research into liver flukes and cancer-stricken veterans, began after The Associated Press raised the issue in a story last year. The reporting found that about 700 veterans with cholangiocarcinoma have been seen by the VA in the past 15 years. Less than half of them submitted claims for service-related benefits, mostly because they were not aware of a possible connection to Vietnam. The VA rejected 80 percent of the requests, but decisions often appeared to be haphazard or contradictory, depending on what desks they landed on, the AP found."

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Vietnam

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:11 pm

don't go out in the forest either -- there are reports of an as-yet not formally described centipede up to 2 metres long and thick as an adult's leg with 800-1200 legs which can run at up to 120 km/h and accelerate like greased lightning and, being a centipede, is ostensibly venomous . . . probably shoot enough histamine alone into u to make yer heart explode . . . the broad, somewhat concave shape of the underbelly may enable it to volplane up to 5 km like a flying snake . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:47 am

I looked it up and found the Vietnamese Giant Centipede (Scolopendra subspinipes). It is big, aggressive, poisonous, and killed one person on record. But I count less than 50 legs in its photos. Can't find anything about it's speed but I'm sure it is much slower than 120 km/h. As usual, your post is a mix of interesting, obscure facts and exaggerations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scolopendra_subspinipes

https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/ ... centipede/

https://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/giant-centipede.html

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:35 pm

i wasn't speaking of scolopendra subspinipes leach 1815 -- or i would have provided the full binomial in the original post and not described it as not formally described . . . what i speak of is a rumour going around south-east asia and paris for the last 60 years about a creature the forest residents call (in vietnamese) "the big leggy motherfucker"

and u know what is an exaggeration or whatever just like u know the demographics of this forum (all or most middle-aged males)? as some sub-normal forons are accustomed to say, whatever gets u through the night . . .

but u do make much more of an effort than a lot of forons here, and i appreciate that. i haven't seen u dismiss a political opponent as a troll or someone who is somehow different/threatening by dismissing it as a persona or schtick (as if 50 per cent of the people who do that even know what those words mean) . . .

well, there goes about 15-18 months' worth of spleen. i'm going to need to go in for a transfusion of spleen . . .

Return to “Travel”