Locked Up Abroad

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Locked Up Abroad

Postby Beaver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Good tv show on Nat Geo about Americans who are charged with crimes and jailed for many years while traveling in other countries. Drug charges are the main one, but can be anything.

This young woman could be the next lock up. Facing 20 years of jail in Zimbabwe for tweeting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... dff920378f

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Locked Up Abroad

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:04 pm

When I read the thread title I figured you finally got a woman over to your house and decided to keep her.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 pm

narcoleptish wrote:When I read the thread title I figured you finally got a woman over to your house and decided to keep her.

Locked up a broad? Sick, but....never mind.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 am

Just remember a good Turk always walks to the right.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:36 pm

gargantua wrote:Locked up a broad? Sick, but....never mind.

Then there's the new tv show about Harvey Weinstein...Knocked up some broads.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:40 pm

One must be careful traveling.

I read a story many years back, some naive American girls agreed to take the suitcase for some cute guy through customs in Singapore or Malaysia, forget which. Anyway, there were drugs in there, so they got the death penalty. Oops.

Not too long before I read that, I was flying from Hong Kong to Taipei. This was when HK was under Brit control, and Taiwan was a military dictatorship. I had some stuff with me I wasn't supposed to take through customs, since it was stuff from the PRC (bitter enemies back then), but they normally didn't bother Americans. On the flight over, I was sitting next to a cute Chinese girl, who gave me her phone number. When we landed, she demanded I take HER bags through customs. I figured she was smuggling some stuff made in the PRC, and wanted me to take the fall if there was any trouble. She got really mad when I wouldn't take the stuff through customs for her. I threw away her phone number. Not worth it.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 pm

My life is really boring.
I should appreciate that more.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Sometimes boring is better.

i'm glad I didn't let a broad get me locked up abroad.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:12 pm

When are you sickos going to stop discussing sex with boards?

Dylsexics of the world untie!

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:17 pm

O.J. wrote:When are you sickos going to stop discussing sex with boards?

Dylsexics of the world untie!

Oh, now I get it.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 pm

My board was bored 'cause I didn't let a broad get me locked up abroad when I was aboard a plane.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:16 am

Know of a guy from Minnesota featured on this show. He was kidnapped by FARC while on a motorcycle trip in South America, a few others were also kidnapped. If he hadn't been in good physical shape he probably would have died. After being released he finished his trip to the southern tip of SA.

As for most of the people on this show, they're dumb asses who were looking for a quick buck.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Paleo2 wrote:I read a story many years back, some naive American girls agreed to take the suitcase for some cute guy through customs in Singapore or Malaysia, forget which. Anyway, there were drugs in there, so they got the death penalty.

I saw a tv movie about those women but can't find it now. There were two Australian men executed in Malaysia for drug charges in 1986: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlow_an ... _execution

A French woman was sentenced to death in Malaysia in 1980. She spent 10 years in prison then was released.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Béatrice_Saubin

Which countries have the death penalty for drug smuggling?
Thirty-two, mainly in Asia and the Middle East—but only half a dozen really carry it out
https://www.economist.com/blogs/economi ... xplains-28

This chart says USA is the 5th leading country for executions. Do they mean for all crimes, or just drug trafficking? I didn't think drug charges ever carried the death penalty here.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:17 pm

†Incomplete data due to war — chilling.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Beaver wrote:
Paleo2 wrote:I read a story many years back, some naive American girls agreed to take the suitcase for some cute guy through customs in Singapore or Malaysia, forget which. Anyway, there were drugs in there, so they got the death penalty.

I saw a tv movie about those women but can't find it now. There were two Australian men executed in Malaysia for drug charges in 1986: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlow_an ... _execution

A French woman was sentenced to death in Malaysia in 1980. She spent 10 years in prison then was released.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Béatrice_Saubin

Which countries have the death penalty for drug smuggling?
Thirty-two, mainly in Asia and the Middle East—but only half a dozen really carry it out
https://www.economist.com/blogs/economi ... xplains-28

This chart says USA is the 5th leading country for executions. Do they mean for all crimes, or just drug trafficking? I didn't think drug charges ever carried the death penalty here.

i believe that the death penalty is on the books for large quantities of certain drugs in louisiana but i do not recall it being implemented as of current. . .

Return to “Travel”