underground, offbeat, little-known, off-the-beaten-path atlanta

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

underground, offbeat, little-known, off-the-beaten-path atlanta

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:00 pm

any ideas for interesting places,events, and the like for a group of people travelling to atlanta for a while, and long enough to make side trips to places like other georgia cities, charleston &c? when i did a request for comments concerning san francisco a while ago, the information made for all sorts of wonderful diversions and discoveries, one thing leading to another and all that . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: underground, offbeat, little-known, off-the-beaten-path atlanta

Postby Beaver » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:26 am

Travel & Leisure says Charleston is best place to visit in USA. I lived there many years ago and it didn't seem so great to me. I think it's had a high murder rates for many years. All I miss is the grits. But the Southeast is very different from WI so that makes it interesting. There is Mrytle beach but that is on the beaten path. Savannah always seemed like a nice place. Is hurricane season over there?

How about stopping in Dolly Wood? https://www.dollywood.com

"Why Dollywood?
With more than 40 rides, 15 exceptional shows, five of the South's largest festivals, Southern-style dining, and the friendliest employees in the world . . . Dollywood is an award-winning destination!
One of the world's premier theme parks >
35 acre, Smoky Mountain-themed water park >
Breathtaking full-service, on-site resort >
Luxurious cabins in the beautiful Smoky Mountains >
Two extraordinary dinner show experiences >"

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:27 pm

I was underwhelmed by the Varsity. We met a friend of my lover's for dinner in Gainesville which was a charming little town about an hour from ATL.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Threesome?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Beaver wrote:Travel & Leisure says Charleston is best place to visit in USA. I lived there many years ago and it didn't seem so great to me. I think it's had a high murder rates for many years. All I miss is the grits. But the Southeast is very different from WI so that makes it interesting. There is Mrytle beach but that is on the beaten path. Savannah always seemed like a nice place. Is hurricane season over there?

How about stopping in Dolly Wood? https://www.dollywood.com

"Why Dollywood?
With more than 40 rides, 15 exceptional shows, five of the South's largest festivals, Southern-style dining, and the friendliest employees in the world . . . Dollywood is an award-winning destination!
One of the world's premier theme parks >
35 acre, Smoky Mountain-themed water park >
Breathtaking full-service, on-site resort >
Luxurious cabins in the beautiful Smoky Mountains >
Two extraordinary dinner show experiences >"

o, we are headed there too (charleston) and can highly recommend it, but one thing -- i don't think the brush with hurricane matthew last year relieved s c of being overdue for a major hurricane -- i don't know exactly how i could do a chi-square test or anything on that, just a feeling in my gut . . . but as i mentioned elsewhere, even toronto, st louis, and brazil have been hit by hurricanes, so 1. go in the off season, or 2. pack one's weather instruments and make the best of it . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:33 pm

What weather instruments do you recommend traveling with? Barometer, thermostat, wind vane?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:06 pm

several manufacturers make hand-held wind gauges which also measure all the other paramters and keep a record of them, obviating the need for, say, a recording barograph

I am Jack's PO Box

Postby I am Jack's PO Box » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Depending on your interests, Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta is worth a stop; cemetery "residents" range from Confederate Civil War soldiers to notable Atlantians. The cemetery location is also in the thick of where the Battle of Atlanta took place, and there's a great breakfast/lunch spot across the street (Ria's Bluebird Cafe).

The Atlanta Botanical Garden is also nice, if plants are your thing, and they grow really different stuff than we have here.

Also in Atlanta itself is the Center for Puppetry Arts. It's not large, but the museum's Jim Henson Collection includes large number of Muppets, more than I've seen anywhere else.

Stone Mountain is a nice place for a picnic. It's also the source of the granite curbs you can see all over Atlanta. The confederate monument didn't do anything for me, but there's a great view from the top of the mountain. There's a county park (I forget the name) near Stone Mountain that is free also has a lot of exposed granite, if you don't want to pay the fee to get into Stone Mountain.

A drive east through Monroe, Social Circle, and Madison shows a glimpse of an old south that is mostly gone, including wild cotton fields; parts of nearby Covington and Conyers are kind of charming and were where In the Heat of the Night was filmed, if you're into that.

Headed west, Sweetwater Creek State Park has easy walking trails and the ruins of an old mill on the Sweetwater Creek.

Last time I was there, Athens did really feel like "the Madison of the SouthEast", though I don't have any specific recommendations about things to do there.

The Folk Pottery Museum and the nearby Mark of the Potter are good stops to see "folk" pottery from the North Georgia Mountains; I myself find the head jugs fascinating. If you head up that way, avoid Helen like the plague, unless you want to see what happens if you turn the Essen Haus into a whole town.

Also north, the Blue Ridge Parkway is all kinds of pretty, but don't plan to drive on it very long if you want to get anywhere in a hurry.

Headed south, a Haunted Savannah tour can be a fun way to have some drinks and see the city on foot (the open container policy helps on both accounts). As for Savannah itself, the feeling of history is thick there, mostly because Sherman let the city stand. Nearby Fort Pulaski is also worth a stop; just keep an eye out for alligators.

Have a good trip. There's plenty to do in and around Atlanta.
Last edited by I am Jack's PO Box on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 pm

I did the Haunted Savannah tour several years ago. It originated at the Moon River brewpub downtown. I really enjoyed it.

Return to “Travel”