New Orleans

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Orleans

Postby Beaver » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Marvell wrote:
Beaver wrote:Interesting finds, but the Acadian expulsion was in Canada and done by the British, so not part of US history.

I'm not trying to be pedantic...much...but by your logic, the Stamp Act was not part of US history.

Which probably wouldn't fly in any US history class anywhere.

No I was looking for examples of resettling by the USA gvmnt. The Acadian expulsion was done by British. Yes some Acadians were sent to the US, so it is part of US history, but it was done by British.

Stamp Act is also a bad analogy. Again it was done by the British, not the USA. It was imposed on Colonies.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Cadfael wrote:There are quite a few people in Louisiana who would beg to differ that the Acadian expulsion was not part of US History. I mean, Evangeline is arguably Longfellow's most famous work.

OK Acadian expulsion was part of US History, but is not an example in US history of resettling done by the USA. Geez, some nitpickers here.

Were German concentration camps part of US History, or examples of torture by USA gvmnt? Some survivors did move to the USA, but the camps were not run by the US gvmnt.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Beaver wrote:Gays Mills and Soldiers Grove are much smaller than New Orleans.

Beaver wrote:Geez, some nitpickers here.

Indeed.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Beaver wrote:
Cadfael wrote:There are quite a few people in Louisiana who would beg to differ that the Acadian expulsion was not part of US History. I mean, Evangeline is arguably Longfellow's most famous work.

OK Acadian expulsion was part of US History, but is not an example in US history of resettling done by the USA. Geez, some nitpickers here.

Were German concentration camps part of US History, or examples of torture by USA gvmnt? Some survivors did move to the USA, but the camps were not run by the US gvmnt.

Okay, I suppose somebody's got to bring up the Trail of Tears and all those broken treaties. And slavery.

And if we're talking about torture by US Gvmnt, how about Viet Nam and Guantanamo?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:02 pm

jman111 wrote:
Beaver wrote:Gays Mills and Soldiers Grove are much smaller than New Orleans.

Beaver wrote:Geez, some nitpickers here.

Indeed.

Getting grumpy and defensive seldom works well for the Beav.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 am

There's always the Kickapoo Reserve.

The La Farge dam was proposed as early as the 1930s as a means to control flooding in the northern part of the Kickapoo River Valley. After many false starts, in 1962 Congress authorized a flood control dam at La Farge. With some modifications, it took its final form of a larger flood control dam with tourism and recreational potential in the mid-1960s. Acquisition of the property with compensation at market value started in 1969, and ultimately 140 farms were purchased most unwillingly from local property owners.

[emphasis mine]

If you've ever been to the Kickapoo Reserve Visitor Center, one of the things they have there is a display put up by the Ho-Chunk that features a brick wall, each brick bearing the name of one of the families displaced by the U.S. government.

Indicating that the Ho-Chunk, like most first peoples, have a very dry sense of humor.

Return to “Travel”