Guam

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Guam

Postby Beaver » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:00 am

I didn't know Guam had such a tourist industry. Looks scenic with lots to do there. I hope it doesn't get nuked.

http://www.visitguam.com/media-gallery/

http://www.visitguam.com/things-to-do/
"While Guam is no doubt a great place to relax, de-stress and recuperate by doing absolutely nothing but enjoy the balmy breezes and sunshine, GUAM also stands for Get Up And Move!

Enjoy an array of beaches and water activities, sports, adventure, local attractions and nightlife. There are many things to do as a lone traveler, a couple or as a family. Visit one of dozens of cultural or historical sites, for Guam is replete with World War II memories responsible for molding Guam into the island it is today.

You can Time your travel with one of Guam’s many annual events, such as a road race, the Guam Micronesia Island Fair, or any of the village festivals. Indulge in shopping, where you can purchase anything from Made On Guam products to souvenirs and keepsakes; all the way to outlet products and luxury goods for the worldly traveler.

Explore all that is Guam, and all we have to offer. We are sure you will not be disappointed."

4 things to know about Guam, the center of US-North Korea tension
http://host.madison.com/news/national/t ... 3BEF2C94B1

"PEOPLE AND GOVERNMENT
The island was first populated about 4,000 years ago by the ancestors of the Chamorros, still the island's largest ethnic group. Now, about 160,000 people live on Guam. Its capital city is Hagatna and its largest city is Dededo. Its chief languages are English and Chamorro. It has seen various popular movements pushing for greater self-government or even U.S. statehood, most notably a significant but failed effort in the 1980s to make it a commonwealth on par with Puerto Rico."

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Guam

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Sometimes when I am on a United flight, looking at the entertainment, there is a clip about Guam, and what to do there. The clip is entirely in Japanese.

Makes sense. Hawaii is closer to Japan that it is to many parts of the US. Waikiki beach has always had a lot of Japanese tourists. I worked at a store in Waikiki many decades ago, and I went back about a year and a half ago. The percentage of Japanese tourists is even higher now. Haoles (Caucasians) from the Mainland dominate the outer island tourism, though. Maui in particular is really booming.

Guam is MUCH closer to Japan than it is even to Hawaii. So it makes sense the tourism industry caters to Japanese. Sort of a poor man's Honolulu to them, perhaps.

BTW, earlier this year I was bumped up to first class on a United flight, and found myself sitting next to a United flight attendant stationed in Guam who was visiting a friend in Madison. It turns out that most of the United crew in Guam live other places, such as Honolulu or Japan or even West Coast US, and dead head to work.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Guam has much more to worry about than NK. According to Rep Hank Johnson democrat from Georgia, the biggest threat to Guam is that it might tip over :)

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Typhoon Yutu hit Guam and Northern Mariana Islands hard.

https://weather.com/storms/typhoon/news ... rn-pacific

"NWS-Guam is forecasting the following peak storm surge inundation with Yutu:
- Saipan and Tinian: Up to 15 to 20 feet on windward sides as Yutu approaches; after the storm passes west of the island, 5 to 7 feet along westward-facing shorelines
- Rota: Up to 2 to 4 feet on windward sides as Yutu approaches
- Guam: Up to 2 to 4 feet on windward sides

The NWS is forecasting seas to increase to 30 to 40 feet near the center of Yutu, with life-threatening rip currents expected from this surf. High surf and rip currents will be felt throughout the Marianas through at least Thursday as Yutu passes through. Here are the expected additional rainfall totals from Yutu through Thursday, according to NWS-Guam:

- Saipan and Tinian: 6 to 10 inches
- Rota: 4 to 8 inches
- Guam: 4 to 6 inches

This rainfall is likely to trigger dangerous flash flooding and dangerous landslides in higher terrain. A flash flood watch has been issued in the islands through late Thursday night. Next week, Yutu could eventually pose a threat to the northern Philippines, Taiwan and the Ryukyu Islands of Japan."

Return to “Travel”