Tropical vacations

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27807
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Just booked a week in Cuba, on the very day the Trump administration issued a travel warning.

Details on a later date.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5305
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby fennel » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Just booked a week in Cuba, on the very day the Trump administration issued a travel warning.

Details on a later date.
Fly through Mirabel.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27807
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 am

I got back late Friday after visiting Cuba. A very interesting, enjoyable and information trip. As I mentioned in the car thread, Ms. Vilas and I toured Havana in a classical '55 Crown Vicky convertible. The cab driver showed us embassy row. The North Korean embassy is next to UK's. Saw Hemingway's house on the outskirts of Havana. The Cuban people (who by the way, are extremely friendly and many speak English) adore Papa Hemingway. Che is more popular than Fidel, maybe because he died young and was more charismatic and good looking.

The infrastructure, like the cars, is stuck in the '50s and needs updating and repair. Very little retail (although what one can buy is usually inexpensive). That's a good thing, since the average wage is the equivalent of one dollar a day. Two types of currency, which can be maddening. Food was bland, which I found strange, especially since the Habanero pepper is named after the capital. Black beans, rice and chicken is the usual meal.

Also visited Trinidad, the city of artists. Cobble stone streets were tough to walk on. Houses were more in disrepair than in Havana. The other city we explored was Cienfuegos (no, they don't have 100 fires), nicknamed the Pearl of the South. A very beautiful city.

Came back with Havana Club rum, Cuban coffee (which I am drinking right now) but no cigars. And plenty of great memories.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11024
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:31 am

I've often wondered about Cuba, since I've flown over it dozens of times on the way to/from other Caribbean destinations. What was the actual travel experience like? And how is the coffee?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27807
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:00 am

Went by ship on a Viking Ocean Cruise out of Miami. Didn't know flights originating in the States were allowed over Cuba (prior to Obama loosening the travel rules). Coffee is great. I bought dark roasted whole beans. Cubans like to put sugar in theirs, but I drink it black, like God intended.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11024
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:00 pm

It's been OK to fly over Cuba since at least the late 80's. I think I remember a pilot mentioning an approved air corridor once years ago. It was over the eastern part of the island.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 15750
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I got back late Friday after visiting Cuba. A very interesting, enjoyable and information trip. As I mentioned in the car thread, Ms. Vilas and I toured Havana in a classical '55 Crown Vicky convertible. The cab driver showed us embassy row. The North Korean embassy is next to UK's. Saw Hemingway's house on the outskirts of Havana. The Cuban people (who by the way, are extremely friendly and many speak English) adore Papa Hemingway. Che is more popular than Fidel, maybe because he died young and was more charismatic and good looking.

The infrastructure, like the cars, is stuck in the '50s and needs updating and repair. Very little retail (although what one can buy is usually inexpensive). That's a good thing, since the average wage is the equivalent of one dollar a day. Two types of currency, which can be maddening. Food was bland, which I found strange, especially since the Habanero pepper is named after the capital. Black beans, rice and chicken is the usual meal.

Also visited Trinidad, the city of artists. Cobble stone streets were tough to walk on. Houses were more in disrepair than in Havana. The other city we explored was Cienfuegos (no, they don't have 100 fires), nicknamed the Pearl of the South. A very beautiful city.

Came back with Havana Club rum, Cuban coffee (which I am drinking right now) but no cigars. And plenty of great memories.

Ahhhh. Hank finally got to visit the Motherland. Congrats!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27807
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Not the first time in Cuba. Our ship had training at Guantanamo Naval Base nearly 50 years ago. Gitmo wasn't a prison camp back then.

Ned, where did you serve?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11024
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re:

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Ned, where did you serve?

My money's on Arby's.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5432
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby Beaver » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Sad news from Costa Rica.

10 Americans die in fiery plane crash in Costa Rica
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10- ... id=UE12DHP

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27807
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Sad news indeed. And it seems like it's the only type of news you report on.

No wonder you are a prepper.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27807
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:44 am

USA Today's web site has a photo tour of the Viking Sun, the ship I took to Cuba. There is even a picture of the Sun anchored in Cienfuegos, Cuba.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11024
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 am

Henry Vilas wrote:There is even a picture of the Sun anchored in Cienfuegos, Cuba.

That's called a "sunset". If you wait a few minutes, it will go away.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5432
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby Beaver » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Sad news indeed. And it seems like it's the only type of news you report on.


'Family enjoys vacation' doesn't make the news. If you see her contact the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/findingcarla

Florida woman disappears on birthday vacation in Costa Rica
https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-woma ... 20190.html

Image

Image

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27807
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:43 am



Return to “Travel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest