Tropical vacations

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Tropical vacations

Postby Ducatista » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Where have you been? Where would you like to go?

We stayed at a lovely small resort in Antigua a couple years ago and adored it. The tiny private beach at the resort was too small to be much more than cosmetic (and it really was a little jewel), but the adjacent public beaches were spectacular. Our favorite, Big Ffryes, has a view of Montserrat, Redonda, and Nevis — and, cool/creepy side note, you can see the internet plunge into the ocean via the Southern Caribbean Fiber cable.

This year we stayed at an obscenely huge all-inclusive in the Dominican Republic. Totally not our style, but a friend arranged the trip for a dozen of us, and it was a great setting for group shenanigans. Lovely grounds, immaculate rooms, crowded but beautiful beach, and all the decent booze and bad food you could consume. We took a couple off-resort excursions, including a memorable trip to a coffee and cacao plantation in the mountains, but mostly we stayed in the surreal bubble of the resort.

Next year we want to take a snorkeling vacation. Our dive instructor friend is pushing for Turks and Caicos. Other recommendations?

(Thanks, gargantua, for the thread idea.)

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tropical vacations

Postby fennel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Never been to the tropics, but it's been on my mind lately. I usually prefer cool, temperate weather. A WFMU DJ played an ambient tape recording of her visit to Guadeloupe — just background sounds. That got me thinking.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Hope you speak French. Unfortunately I only took Latin and Spanish.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Duca, I have a friend who loves diving, and she swears by Bonaire, off the Venezuelan coast near Aruba.
We're going to an all-inclusive couples-only resort on Jamaica's 7 mile beach in a couple of weeks. You'll know, I'll disappear like Hank did. They have good WiFi there, but last year I never even thought about checking in to the Forum until we got home.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Stayed at an all inclusive on the Mayan Riviera a couple years back. Very nice, and convenient to several day trips.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:23 am

gargantua wrote:Duca, I have a friend who loves diving, and she swears by Bonaire, off the Venezuelan coast near Aruba.

It's on the short list! One of my friends is there now... it's a fave with her family. They're renting a house as they usually do, which sounds like a great way to go.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:25 am

fennel wrote:Never been to the tropics, but it's been on my mind lately. I usually prefer cool, temperate weather. A WFMU DJ played an ambient tape recording of her visit to Guadeloupe — just background sounds. That got me thinking.

How about Bermuda? Tropical visuals in a cooler clime.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:25 am

Ducatista wrote:How about Bermuda? Tropical visuals in a cooler clime.
I can't shake the association with the shorts. And I'm guessing the food might be better on a French île.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:37 am

I wonder where Obama goes kite surfing.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/politic ... /316436519

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:20 am

fennel wrote:
Ducatista wrote:How about Bermuda? Tropical visuals in a cooler clime.
I can't shake the association with the shorts. And I'm guessing the food might be better on a French île.

Try the French side of St. Martin. Grand Case is the culinary capital of the Caribbean. And unlike Guadeloupe, English is widely spoken.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:38 pm

We are still trying to decide. We were looking at Jamaica all inclusive, but it was going to be spendy. Plus like a 2 hr drive from airport once we got there. Other carrib places were expensive and I was fearful of backlash at the non spring break spots in Mexico.

Probably in the US again. Maybe SoCal. Not sure if I can ever go back to Florida. I'd like to go to SE coast sometime, those coastal islands or whatever they are called.

Send us an update wherever you land!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Try the French side of St. Martin. Grand Case is the culinary capital of the Caribbean. And unlike Guadeloupe, English is widely spoken.
I can get by in French, somewhat so in Spanish. In a way, the lack of English speakers appeals to me. It's supposed to be a vacation, after all.

Lately, I've been thinking about mosquitos — not so much as vectors of infection, just as little heinous creatures who bite. And then I think, well maybe the cold isn't all that bad ...

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:06 pm

john_titor wrote:We are still trying to decide. We were looking at Jamaica all inclusive, but it was going to be spendy. Plus like a 2 hr drive from airport once we got there. Other carrib places were expensive and I was fearful of backlash at the non spring break spots in Mexico.

Probably in the US again. Maybe SoCal. Not sure if I can ever go back to Florida. I'd like to go to SE coast sometime, those coastal islands or whatever they are called.

Send us an update wherever you land!

Were you thinking of the Bahamas perhaps? We've gone to the Caribbean every year since the late 80's. We go in February, and most years we don't even see a mosquito. I'm sure it's the time of year. The trade winds are in full force, and February is the driest month down there. Keep in mind that's dry by tropical standards.

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:55 am

While not necessarily what you were thinking of, I spent 5 days at Disneyworld staying on site. It was mainly for the kids, but I have to say that I was more impressed than I thought I would be. We stayed at the Animal Kindon Lodge and had zebras and Giraffes right outside our balcony. The kids had a blast, and it was nice to escape the cold for just a few days.

Round trip right out of Madison on Frontier to Orlando was $150.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:23 pm

Don't forget the Florida Keys and Key West. Rent a car in Miami and drive down. Also, had a surprisingly good time on Marco Island last year. Not super touristy and there's a great little state park to explore.

Enjoyed Playa del Carmen. Can highly recommend the small El Dorado Maroma resort. Expensive, but that's how I roll.

Return to “Travel”