Chicago scared us off

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Chicago scared us off

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:23 pm

Well, MH, my advice is that the risk is similar, and the reward is greater in Chicago. Really, dude, you're safe there if you don't wander into the wrong neighborhood after dark. Don't do that.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:39 am

I'm more scared (wary?) of the traffic in Chicago than crime.

willystresident
Forum Addict

Postby willystresident » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:28 pm

I've always found Chicago traffic easier to navigate than Madison traffic.

Why? In Chicago, drivers are used to other drivers doing weird and crazy things, so they're less likely to respond in sheer panic if you do something weird and crazy. If you need to merge and there's no room, just start to merge and they'll let you in. I think they're more used to paying attention when they're driving--I've found that Madison drivers often seem set in routines, and aren't friendly to people violating those routines. I've always assumed its because the population here (absent the students) is so much older and more likely to have been at their job/in their home for a while and have a set commuting culture than in Chicago. Admittedly, Chicago highway gridlock isn't even comparable to Madison gridlock, but most of the driving I do once I'm in the city is on city streets.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:30 pm

penquin wrote:I'm more scared (wary?) of the traffic in Chicago than crime.

That is exactly the place where my irritation with Chigago started.
Again, I believe I am hanging onto irrational baggage.
Although, I have been much more capable of handling LA traffic over Chicago's.
I cannot shake off the creepy feeling I have about Chicago.
That sucks, as I understand that there is so much to be enjoyed.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Maybe Chicago isn't the best idea after all:
(GRAPHIC)

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:22 pm

Mad Howler wrote:Although, I have been much more capable of handling LA traffic over Chicago's.

Riding through LA traffic as a kid made me realize I didn't wanna live in a big city. Near one, perhaps, but not in one.

I now live within walking distance of an Amtrak station* but have yet to ride it into Chicago...perhaps this is the summer to try that out.

*and I have a large driveway, so if a fellow-foron wants to park&ride sometime feel free to ask.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:23 pm

I live in Madison - traveled X-county to LA for a wedding a few years ago.
On a prior trip out we took to flight to LA - spent our time and took a train to San Diego.
In either case - the traffic was irritating but less so than Chicago kludge. Whatever.
I wish I had an Amtrak station in my locale - but no one shall know the benifit/opportunities offered, except an ineffective corridor in southeast WI.
Descisions have been made that preclude people recognizing the benefits afforded by rail travel.
If you want to freak people about what you don't want them to need,
Take a lesson from the rail debacle & cut them off before potential clients can taste the product.

TeachInPeace
Forum Addict

Postby TeachInPeace » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:45 pm

People who are "afraid" of cities should deserve to stay in the suburbs. Maybe then the traffic won't be as bad. Good grief.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:45 pm

I used to live in Chicago -- in a neighborhood that I would not be able to afford now due to gentrification. But it was still perfectly safe as long as you didn't look like a complete fool late at night. (And FWIW, being young and stupid, and frequently drunk late at night, I did look like a complete fool on a regular basis and still didn't endure anything worse than aggressive panhandling.) I actually got rid of my car while living there. I had too many parking tickets, and I had multiple transit options within blocks of my apartment. I took cabs once in awhile and still came out ahead financially.

I go to Chicago a couple of times a year, and I never drive/park in downtown. Usually I take the Van Galder, but I understand that can be pricey for a family. If I'm visiting friends or family in the 'burbs, I just drive to the closest El or Metra station to get downtown.

If you want to drive part way in, take everyone's advice and ditch the car at O'Hare or Cumberland. Then take the Blue Line into downtown (or wherever) and walk, cab, or take transit. It's still cheaper than parking, you can drink if you want, and you don't have to worry about traffic. As others have suggested, you can also take Metra from Harvard, IL. There is a weekend rate -- $9 ??? -- that will get you a round trip into the heart of the city. Even with the family in tow, you can't beat that rate.

Cities are tons of fun and there is so much to do. If you want to go to the Art Institute, then do it! It's really not scary, and you will see lots of other tourists wandering around. Then you'll feel silly for being nervous.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:31 pm

TeachInPeace wrote:People who are "afraid" of cities should deserve to stay in the suburbs. Maybe then the traffic won't be as bad. Good grief.

I didn't think I was coming from so much a place fear - more like irritation. But, I suspect you are right on some level. Fear is some powerful stuff, even if absorbed in small doses.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:32 pm

roadkill bill wrote:I used to live in Chicago -- in a neighborhood that I would not be able to afford now due to gentrification. But it was still perfectly safe as long as you didn't look like a complete fool late at night. (And FWIW, being young and stupid, and frequently drunk late at night, I did look like a complete fool on a regular basis and still didn't endure anything worse than aggressive panhandling.) I actually got rid of my car while living there. I had too many parking tickets, and I had multiple transit options within blocks of my apartment. I took cabs once in awhile and still came out ahead financially.

I go to Chicago a couple of times a year, and I never drive/park in downtown. Usually I take the Van Galder, but I understand that can be pricey for a family. If I'm visiting friends or family in the 'burbs, I just drive to the closest El or Metra station to get downtown.

If you want to drive part way in, take everyone's advice and ditch the car at O'Hare or Cumberland. Then take the Blue Line into downtown (or wherever) and walk, cab, or take transit. It's still cheaper than parking, you can drink if you want, and you don't have to worry about traffic. As others have suggested, you can also take Metra from Harvard, IL. There is a weekend rate -- $9 ??? -- that will get you a round trip into the heart of the city. Even with the family in tow, you can't beat that rate.

Cities are tons of fun and there is so much to do. If you want to go to the Art Institute, then do it! It's really not scary, and you will see lots of other tourists wandering around. Then you'll feel silly for being nervous.

Thank you - that is excellent advice & reassurance.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu May 05, 2016 12:44 pm

I went down to the Art Institute yesterday with my folks. We took the Metra down from Crystal Lake - $8.50 per person per trip plus $1.50 to park all day. The Crystal Lake station is further than Harvard but it has more options for trains, including the 6:00 rush hour express that we took on our return. One item to note: US 14 is under construction from Woodstock on down and it added to the drive. If you have GPS driving over from I-39/90 might be a touch quicker, though the route we took on the return trip did include a few back roads.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:17 pm

Here are maps of Chicago shootings and murders. Western part near Oak Park looks the worst, followed by the South side. I wonder why Oak Park area is worst?

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/homicides

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings/

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:15 am

What about Memphis? I thought it had the highest murder rate. It's hard to keep track of the cities to avoid.

Chicago's 500 homicides: How we got here
http://www.channel3000.com/news/chicago ... e/41531120

"When you compare Chicago's homicide rate to that of other big cities in the country -- New York and Los Angeles, for example -- it tops the list. But Chicago is not the homicide capital of the United States. New Orleans, St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore and Newark all have higher rates when you drill down the data per capita."

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:04 pm

Beaver wrote:I wonder why Oak Park area is worst?

Oak Park isn't so crime-y, but the western neighborhoods around the Eisenhower are a disaster. The Eisenhower just mowed down everything in its path, until the city of Oak Park put up at least a little bit of a fuss. It was a big factor in blight and white flight from the western neighborhoods. A couple housing projects along the Eisenhower corridor (Rockwell, Henry Horner) didn't help.

My husband worked at a homeless shelter in the East Garfield neighborhood in the mid/late 80s. Many of the people he worked with had never seen Lake Michigan. The lake was just a few miles away, but it may as well have been on the moon.

Return to “Travel”