Good country to move to if needed

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Good country to move to if needed

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:Leaving Wisconsin for some better-governed state might be enough.

I have a family member here who needs me. Absent that, I'd move from Wisconsin as a permanent residence and spend summers in Madison. Someday. Breaks my heart.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Where are people moving? Canada? Costa Rica?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Beaver wrote:Where are people moving? Canada? Costa Rica?

Where are you and Shorty moving?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:13 pm

Staying here to fight the good fight. Where's the protest this weekend? Or maybe MN if it keeps getting warmer. Maybe DC...someone has to fix this country. Quebec could be nice but my French needs work. Comment ca va?

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:31 am

New Mexico seems doable...California is just too expensive...for foreign soil, I'd take Australia (for their lack of weaponry) or Switzerland. Scandanavia perhaps...

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:11 pm

New Mexico appeals to me as well. It's affordable, multicultural (that matters to me), and interesting. The level of education is actually better than in WI.

I'm really annoyed when I see my state tax dollars so badly misused. I want to support education, the environment, and a social safety net. Another state might not exactly be better, but I wouldn't have such a long history and deep knowledge of how things used to be pretty decent in Wisconsin and how it's been pissed away. That's as bad as anything else.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:06 am

For those of us considering a move to Canada to escape Trump, we may want to consider. In 2019 they may elect their own Trump.

Canada's Donald Trump? 'Shark Tank' star Kevin O'Leary runs for Tory leadership
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/politics/ ... ervatives/

"Canada's got its own reality TV star vying for the nation's top job. Kevin O'Leary, the business man-turned-reality TV star, announced Wednesday that he will stand in the now 14-person race to lead Canada's Conservative party. The winner will likely challenge current Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in the country's 2019 federal elections...

Both Trump and O'Leary are businessmen who starred in reality TV shows (produced by Mark Burnett). O'Leary is a judge on "Shark Tank," a TV show in which entrepreneurs pitch their ideas to successful tycoons. If judges like the ideas, they'll invest. It's based on the British show "Dragon's Den." Both are bombastic and plain-spoken -- "Archie Bunker with an MBA," as David Moscrop, a political scientist at the University of British Columbia, put it. They're both fiscal conservatives with no actual political experience, who each argue that an outsider with business acumen is needed to put their respective governments in order."

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:49 am

I have a feeling what they see south of the border for the next four years is not going to be an incentive for them to vote for the "make Canada great again" party.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:20 am

Lets get this settled. I can only afford to send a couple of you. :mrgreen:

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:28 am

Which of us would you like to send?

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:45 am

Sorry to disappoint Roy but I am staying in the USA. My family has been here for just about 250 years and served in the military in all major engagements from the Revolutionary War until the Iraq War in the 1990s.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:41 pm

HawkHead wrote:Sorry to disappoint Roy but I am staying in the USA. My family has been here for just about 250 years and served in the military in all major engagements from the Revolutionary War until the Iraq War in the 1990s.

Good for you. Your Patriotism is appreciated.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:38 am

Just read this:

In the first seven days after Donald Trump’s election, 13,401 Americans registered with New Zealand’s immigration authorities, the first official step toward seeking residency—more than seventeen times the usual rate.

In fact, the influx had begun well before Trump’s victory. In the first ten months of 2016, foreigners bought nearly fourteen hundred square miles of land in New Zealand, more than quadruple what they bought in the same period the previous year, according to the government.

I was there in 2003 and it seemed like the most perfect place I'd ever been. Not for long I guess. Hopefully they'll get smart and nip it in the bud.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Is the sun shining in NZ?

Return to “Travel”