Edgewater cancellations

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Edgewater cancellations

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 am

I'm a tripadvisor junkie and currently procrastinating, so I searched Edgewater reviews for "music," "band," "loud," and "noise," and pulled all the relevant comments I found. Stars are the rating the reviewer gave the hotel.

Upshot: one in 716 reviewers complained about band noise in the room — and still gave the hotel 4 stars. Doesn't sound as if the bands were a big problem for the guests. Thanks, Franny, yer a peach!

3 wks ago *****
    This is not the place for a one night stay I would recommend multiple nights.. There are also events at the hotel so there are tons to do.

3 wks ago ***
    The hotel itself was nice, rooms were large and comfortable and they had bands playing on the plaza, which was fun.

June 16 2017 *****
    They have live music on their terrace every Saturday which is so much fun. Pat McCurdy was playing the night of my husbands birthday. It was the perfect way to celebrate!

August 8, 2016 ****
    The windows in the room looking outside were very dirty and on Friday nights there was a band playing and it was VERY loud in our room, which was facing that.

July 26, 2016 *****
    Our room, 980, was on the corner of the building overlooking the lake and a large courtyard where a band played in the evening.

July 24, 2016 ****
    The plaza was filled each night with something different from live music to weddings, a little pricey, but worth it.

July 10, 2016 *****
    We were there on a Friday so we were able to enjoy the live music outside along the lake which was a nice and unexpected bonus.

June 13, 2016 ****
    There was live music for many hours right outside the hotel which was very cool and the location is awesome.

October 6, 2015 *****
    We enjoyed room service meals there (pricey, food quality fine though not exceptional) and evening music performed in the public space. Rooms are very soundproof; once we shut doors and curtains, no sound leaked in from the concert below.

September 4, 2015 ***
    We sat outside for awhile, but the music that was there for another event was too loud, so we came back in.

July 28, 2015 *****
    There was a guitarist playing music for everyone walking by and you could grab a quick bite from The Icehouse Cafe and sit to listen to the concert.

June 4, 2015 ****
    There was a bit of noise that came from parties/weddings in the outside area, but it didn't bother us too much.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:41 am

[Oops, duplicate post because I quoted instead of edited the post below. While I'm at it: the comments above are snipped from larger reviews, in case that isn't obvious.]
Last edited by Ducatista on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:51 am

jman111 wrote:...worse than getting stuck in a room next to an elevator or ice machine, I'm sure.

They don't have ice machines, or at least they didn't when we stayed, specifically they didn't want the noise.

Most of noise complaints in my search results were HVAC related. We weren't bothered by that, but our noise tolerance is fairly high from living where we do.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:59 am

I should have clarified that those are two 'traditional' sources of offending noise in hotels, not that either applied at Edgewater. Good to hear that the room soundproofing is apparently sufficient, based on the reviews posted.

Also, those traditional noise complaints really apply to the overnight hours, when most guests are typically trying to get some sleep. As stated earlier, the music stopped at 9pm. Could certainly be an issue for families with small kids or others who hit the sack early, but not for most hotels guests, I presume.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Yeah, sorry, I figured you were being general, just tossed that in as a point of interest. We were surprised at first at no ice machines, but then it made sense. They typically noisy as hell.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Maybe Edgewater could buy Franny a nice ice machine for her bedroom-- it might drown out the noise of "somebody screaming into a microphone" across the street.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:34 pm

Ducatista wrote:[Oops, duplicate post because I quoted instead of edited the post below. While I'm at it: the comments above are snipped from larger reviews, in case that isn't obvious.]

As for the reviews, could be the people most likely to be bothered by noise (old people) are also not the types to do reviews on tripadvisor.

And the Edge may fill the rooms closest to the music last.

Just sayin. There's potential problems with your polling data.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:26 pm

bdog wrote:There's potential problems with your polling data.

Hmmm, how best to phrase this: DUH.

A few people wondered about user experience, I dug up some user experiences. You want better data, rope it yourself, cowgirl.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:25 pm

bdog wrote:As for the reviews, could be the people most likely to be bothered by noise (sentient* people) are also not the types to do reviews on tripadvisor.
But they might be, you know. I mean, if they had smart phones, free time, and were living rent-free in their parents' basement ...

Wait, is that a stereotype?

* My edit.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Ducatista wrote:
bdog wrote:There's potential problems with your polling data.

Hmmm, how best to phrase this: DUH.

A few people wondered about user experience, I dug up some user experiences.

It was me wondering. I found it interesting most Edgewater guests either didn't mind the music or liked it.

I was left questioning what separated the guests who liked the music from the neighbors who hated it. I have no idea what's going on here.

I live where I can hear the occasional East Side Club bands and I don't mind them at all. They stop before it gets really late. If the music the Edge neighbors hear isn't any louder or later than what the East Side Club plays, I can't see why it's a problem.

Some people just hate hearing anything they didn't personally turn on/choose/pay for.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:30 am

Have you ever heard the phrase "it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there"? I think that's some of what is going on.

Edgewater pushed it and lost. Good for that old lady.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:54 am

Now, to address the next big problem: Packers jackets.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Didn't notice this thread. From another:

Concerning the Edgewater's live music travails and Mr. Mohs' dumb comments, it would be hilarious if everyone wore a Packer jacket to whatever next event they manage to pull off.

Management could even have a Packer Jacket Jamboree & neighborhood points-of-interest tour.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm sure one particular point-of-interest just across the street would be very popular for the Packers-bedecked attendees.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 pm

snoqueen wrote:I live where I can hear the occasional East Side Club bands and I don't mind them at all. They stop before it gets really late. If the music the Edge neighbors hear isn't any louder or later than what the East Side Club plays, I can't see why it's a problem.

I think history's the problem. I'm guessing you didn't lobby long and hard to prevent the East Side Club from existing in its current form. But Franny and others spent years doing just that against Edgewater. Doesn't really surprise me their bitterness could curdle perfectly reasonable volume (with a 9pm cutoff time) into "somebody screaming into a microphone."

What happens next, I wonder? My hope: Edgewater gets the necessary license to restart the shows.

Maybe they won't, and the shows are done for good. Wonder if Franny could turn that into opportunity to whine about Edgewater not fulfilling their public use agreement? That'd be super.

Return to “Hype Exchange”