Edgewater cancellations

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Canceled - Vo5 at the Edgewater, 7/15

Postby fennel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:51 pm

gargantua wrote:
fennel wrote:You don't get quiet in a medium size city because it's just not possible.
I disagree. That's like saying you have to expect people and livestock to defecate on the sidewalks. Regulation, enforcement, and education. Medium-size cities need not be analogous to privately owned gold mines in Brazil.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:27 pm

fennel wrote:
gargantua wrote:
fennel wrote:You don't get quiet in a medium size city because it's just not possible.
I disagree. That's like saying you have to expect people and livestock to defecate on the sidewalks. Regulation, enforcement, and education. Medium-size cities need not be analogous to privately owned gold mines in Brazil.

I never said that. I said that you don't get quiet in a medium size city, and I stand by that. On a quiet, calm, Sunday night, I can hear the roar of the Beltline.
It's two miles away from me. An hour ago, my neighbor's big dog was out and wouldn't stop barking. But I can shoot him, right? I'm entitled to quiet.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 pm

bdog wrote:
gargantua wrote:So, to sum up, it sounds like a small group of anti-Edgewater snooty die-hards don't like having any audible music or common people in their neighborhood.

So to sum up, it's easy to armchair quarterback when it's not in your neighborhood.

It is my neighborhood, and garg nailed it.

Remember the good old days, when forons derided Edgewater's promises of improved public access? It was a scam, a sham, a joke, was never going to happen.

Well, Edgewater has done a great job of encouraging public use, from land and from water, and now people are pissy about that. It was ever fucking thus.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:01 pm

gargantua wrote:An hour ago, my neighbor's big dog was out and wouldn't stop barking. But I can shoot him, right? I'm entitled to quiet.
If your neighbor doesn't take care of the problem after being politely approached, you can get relief from the Madison Police Dept. They will (eventually) visit and warn the dog owner, and then follow up with citations if the problem persists.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:01 pm

fennel wrote:
gargantua wrote:An hour ago, my neighbor's big dog was out and wouldn't stop barking. But I can shoot him, right? I'm entitled to quiet.
If your neighbor doesn't take care of the problem after being politely approached, you can get relief from the Madison Police Dept. They will (eventually) visit and warn the dog owner, and then follow up with citations if the problem persists.

Unless, of course, you have your cat tied to a tree in the back yard and the neighbor's dog is barking at the cat. Then the cops will laugh their asses off and leave your neighbor alone (true story!).

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:50 pm

david cohen wrote:Unless, of course, you have your cat tied to a tree in the back yard and the neighbor's dog is barking at the cat. Then the cops will laugh their asses off and leave your neighbor alone (true story!).
So, follow up! They won't be so predisposed to laugh it off after a they get a few reprimands on record.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:21 pm

fennel wrote:
david cohen wrote:Unless, of course, you have your cat tied to a tree in the back yard and the neighbor's dog is barking at the cat. Then the cops will laugh their asses off and leave your neighbor alone (true story!).
So, follow up! They won't be so predisposed to laugh it off after a they get a few reprimands on record.

Yeah. Because who wants to be on speaking terms with someone who will probably live next door for at least the next two decades.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:47 pm

jman111 wrote:The one time we stopped there specifically to listen to music, we were approached by an elderly neighbor who was working the crowd, looking for anyone who thought the music was too load or not appropriate for the venue. She didn't much care for my replies.

It seemed quite odd that she was looking for vocal opposition to the music from the very people who were there listening to the music.

And then there she was again, being interviewed tonight on the evening news. I guess she, or someone close to her, knows how to get shit done in this town. All music at Edgewater canceled, apparently, pending permit.

And, of course, I meant "too loud".

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:46 pm

gargantua wrote:Yeah. Because who wants to be on speaking terms with someone who will probably live next door for at least the next two decades.
I have a neighbor who has been visited by the cops a number of times. (Never due to me, for what it's worth.) Everyone is still on speaking terms.

Some folks just have a steeper learning curve than others. An informational visit by the cops can put things in perspective.

Another neighbor got a visit because their dogs were left outside while they were away, and barked wildly. They really had no idea their dogs were barking (they were away). But they found out in a hurry.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Edgewater cancellations

Postby Shorty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:51 am

Noise complaints lead to concert cancellations
http://www.channel3000.com/news/noise-c ... /592425447

“This was supposed to be a first-class hotel, and decent hotels don't disturb their neighbors”...“We have amplified drums, basses, somebody screaming into a microphone four nights a week,” she said.

In an email to News 3, an Edgewater spokesperson said that the hotel is trying to work with the city and the neighborhood. Their full statement is below.

“We have certain rights that were granted under the Public Access Management Agreement (PAMA), which was executed with the City of Madison as part of our development entitlements. This PAMA provides The Edgewater the right to host events, including concerts, on The Grand Plaza 365 days a year. Since opening, we have operated well within the scope of this agreement. This said, we appreciate that concerns have been raised, especially about live music on the Plaza. We have, and will continue to work with the City and neighborhood to try to find good solutions to these issues in a manner that will also allow us to fulfill the promises we made to build and program a vibrant public space and waterfront destination for Madison residents and visitors alike.”

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Edgewater cancellations

Postby jman111 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:59 am

OK, so it appears she has been working on this for a while. She was clearly opposed to the music before it even started.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:09 am

Ha, I just dug up that 6-year-old exchange, too. At the time, she was concerned about music till 11pm. Edgewater concerts ended at 9pm. Earlier bedtime these days, Franny?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:59 pm

I can't figure out how an expensive hotel room fits with having loud music right outside your hotel room window. I myself can sleep through just about anything, but not everybody can.

The neighbors are a separate question. How do the Edge's own guests like it?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 am

snoqueen wrote:The neighbors are a separate question. How do the Edge's own guests like it?

My speculation is that it's not likely to bother most guests because the music ends so early. And, when I stay at hotels, I'm using it primarily as a place to sleep. I'm out and about the rest of the time, either attending the business function I came for, or out sight-seeing.
I would be interested in hearing from someone who actually had a room at Edgewater during a musical event though. I wonder if you could even hear it in the room enough to be annoyed by it.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:12 am

One of the things we commented on when we were there was the proximity of some of the guest rooms to the outdoor public areas. Those outdoor steps leading up to the plaza run right outside some guest room windows. Some of those rooms must be quite loud during events-- worse than getting stuck in a room next to an elevator or ice machine, I'm sure.

Return to “Hype Exchange”