Edgewater cancellations

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Canceled - Vo5 at the Edgewater, 7/15

Postby penquin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 am

bdog wrote:Everyone, including Opera in the park attendees.

The riffyest of the raffests indeed!

There's more going on here. A noise complaint alone doesn't shut down an event like this.

Depends on who is making the complaint...but yeah, there seems to be some confusion over their permits.

And "confusion" seems to be about par-for-the-course for Edgewater. Heard a few horror stories about a couple of the early weddings that took place there...tho, in all fairness, haven't heard anything lately.

But let's not stray too far from the important issue: With that "cheap band" comment, Mr. Mohs once again shows himself to be an elitist jerk.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 am

The one time we stopped there specifically to listen to music, we were approached by an elderly neighbor who was working the crowd, looking for anyone who thought the music was too load or not appropriate for the venue. She didn't much care for my replies.

It seemed quite odd that she was looking for vocal opposition to the music from the very people who were there listening to the music.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 am

So, to sum up, it sounds like a small group of anti-Edgewater snooty die-hards don't like having any audible music or common people in their neighborhood.

Issue Edgewater the requisite permits or clarify that they have what they need, and pump up the volume.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:02 pm

gargantua wrote:So, to sum up, it sounds like a small group of anti-Edgewater snooty die-hards don't like having any audible music or common people in their neighborhood.

So to sum up, it's easy to armchair quarterback when it's not in your neighborhood.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:18 pm

bdog wrote:
gargantua wrote:So, to sum up, it sounds like a small group of anti-Edgewater snooty die-hards don't like having any audible music or common people in their neighborhood.

So to sum up, it's easy to armchair quarterback when it's not in your neighborhood.

Yup. People who live downtown in a metro area of a half million people have every reason to expect quiet. Just like people who live near airports shouldn't have to hear aircraft noise, or chose to buy a house near railroad tracks shouldn't have to hear train horns. Only the people who live in those neighborhoods have any right to an opinion on it. Interesting take. Oh, and just because you live near a hospital doesn't mean you should have to listen to those damn sirens. Fuck the patients. They don't even live here, easy for them to say.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:54 pm

Yup so basically if you live anywhere in a city you should never expect it to be quiet. Moreso if you live across the street from an ill conceived hotel makeover whose management will do anything to make money. Fuck the neighbors, they've got bills to pay!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:03 pm

You got it! In a city, you have traffic. You have your neighbor's lawnmowers, snowblowers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, barking dogs, loud mufflers, yelling children, sirens, jets, horns, music festivals, special events. It's a madhouse! If you don't like that, you should probably not be living in the middle of a city, in which the hundreds of thousands of other residents don't feel the need to tiptoe around so as not to offend your entitled tender ears!

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:27 am

gargantua wrote:You got it! In a city, you have traffic. You have your neighbor's lawnmowers, snowblowers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, barking dogs, loud mufflers, yelling children, sirens, jets, horns, music festivals, special events. It's a madhouse! If you don't like that, you should probably not be living in the middle of a city, in which the hundreds of thousands of other residents don't feel the need to tiptoe around so as not to offend your entitled tender ears!

Quoted for posterity.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:10 am

bdog wrote:
gargantua wrote:You got it! In a city, you have traffic. You have your neighbor's lawnmowers, snowblowers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, barking dogs, loud mufflers, yelling children, sirens, jets, horns, music festivals, special events. It's a madhouse! If you don't like that, you should probably not be living in the middle of a city, in which the hundreds of thousands of other residents don't feel the need to tiptoe around so as not to offend your entitled tender ears!

Quoted for posterity.

Fine with me.
This is for the record.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:07 am

For the record, it should be noted that in the city we also have a healthy sprinkling of neighbors whose sole life purpose is to stand on their porch yelling "Get off my lawn!"

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:38 am

I am sometimes annoyed by noise in Madison. But I love the city, and it's many amenities, so I live with the irritants, like noise, or traffic, that come with it.
In this case, some wealthy and influential people who opposed the Edgewater redevelopment from the beginning, now don't care for the clothing of the people it attracts, or the music they listen to. I have a hard time feeling sorry for these people. I don't feel sorry for them at all. How many of us have that kind of clout in our own neighborhoods? Just last evening someone had a permitted event in a local park. They abided by the permit and ended up on time. A few neighbors were bothered by it and said so. They're not getting much sympathy on the neighborhood Facebook page, because most people understand that this sort of thing happens and there's little to be done about it. We're not one percenters, after all.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:21 pm

I think lots of people would have that kind of clout, assuming the events were occurring several times a week and not a once a summer type thing. Heck didn't some Monroe streeters get a barbecue place shut down because they didn't like the smell? But they weren't 1 percenters so that's ok?

There's a happy medium somewhere. I think edgewater crossed that medium and lost.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:57 pm

Obviously we don't agree. FWIW I didn't agree with how the Monroe St. thing played out. And while they aren't one percenters by a long shot, they do have a lot of clout in this town. We have a lot of strong neighborhoods, and that's largely a good thing. But in the context of the needs of the city as a whole, it's not an unalloyed blessing either. I opposed the Edgewater TIF ,but not the redevelopment. And I find Fred Mohs' views about his fellow citizens and their tastes in music to be repellent. Which I think you know by now.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Generally speaking, the less noise the better.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:27 pm

fennel wrote:Generally speaking, the less noise the better.

Well, yeah, of course. And those who value it highly can find it in really nice places like Deerfield, or Paoli, or Waterloo, or Lodi. You don't get quiet in a medium size city because it's just not possible. Things that bother me may not trouble you. My rights don't trump yours, and vice versa. So we all have to tolerate things like noise, or air pollution, or slow traffic, because we chose to live in a city. No one's holding a gun to your head, are they?
Sorry if someone is. That's city life for you.

Return to “Hype Exchange”