Edgewater cancellations

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Edgewater cancellations

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm with you in hoping that Edgewater obtains the necessary permissions. And when they do, I'll go out of my way to attend, and spend money there.
I wish I had a Harley so I could rev it a bit after the concert's over.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:19 pm

gargantua wrote:I wish I had a Harley so I could rev it a bit after the concert's over.
Now, that's just mean-spirited. Instead, take your bike and put playing cards in the spokes.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:29 pm

fennel wrote:
gargantua wrote:I wish I had a Harley so I could rev it a bit after the concert's over.
Now, that's just mean-spirited. Instead, take your bike and put playing cards in the spokes.

That's true, and I wouldn't want to make the nice people in the neighborhood suffer because a few old churls live among them.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:57 pm

"Update on Concerts at The Edgewater:
We are very disappointed to report that we will cancel the remaining concerts in our Summer Music Series on Friday and Saturday Nights. We will return with three more concert events this summer: A “Kick Off to Football Season,” partnering with the Mendota Gridiron Club (August 24), a Bluegrass Festival (August 25) and a Pre-Badger Game Tailgate (September 1). Our “Facts and A Flick” movie series as well as other non-concert events will continue through end of summer. See our website for additional details.

Since reopening, The Edgewater has honored the promise we made to the Greater Madison Community to open the waterfront, and make The Grand Plaza a vibrant public space. This commitment has included hosting many events, including live music series and festivals – which have been free, open-to-the-public, and family friendly.

Our right to host events 365-days a year is established by the Public Access Management Agreement (PAMA) that was executed with the City in 2012. Currently, we are working with the City to resolve the open issue. We hope that they will share in our commitment to do this without delay, and ask that they honor our rights to host events as were
negotiated, and agreed to, in the PAMA.

Our goal is simple. We want to continue building on our vision of making this Madison’s Place. An asset for downtown and the entire southcentral Wisconsin region. We hope you will support us in this goal. Many of you have asked what you can do to help? A start is to contact your alder and share your support. We will follow up with additional information as we move through this process."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:34 pm

If this is a legal, as opposed to political issue, I'm not sure that contacting my Alder will help much.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Legal and political are all up in each other's business when it comes to licensing/permitting in Madison (and probably everywhere else).

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Ducatista wrote:Legal and political are all up in each other's business when it comes to licensing/permitting in Madison (and probably everywhere else).

Yeah. I was hoping MP May would weigh in with the city's legal position on this.
I think I understand Edgewater's strategy. If they can get the city to agree they can operate under the PAMA, they don't need any steenking permits. I gather someone in the city attorney's office said, "not so fast". But it would be nice to know if they're looking at it, or already made a decision.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Maybe it's one of those things that gets worked out privately before anything gets said or explained in public. Giving the complainers more attention just creates extra drama.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Concerning the Edgewater's live music travails and Mr. Mohs' dumb comments, it would be hilarious if everyone wore a Packer jacket to whatever next event they manage to pull off.

Better yet - wear a Packer jacket to the Symphony. (I understand he is a fan of that genre.)

Bonus points for an NFL jersey that says "Mohs" on the back.

MadisonHomer

Postby MadisonHomer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:38 pm

As someone that lives directly next to the Edgewater and has for six year, two years of which was the extremely noisy demolition and building of the hotel. Waking up at 7am to the sound of a T-Rex shaking the building for months on end was less of an issue than the headaches now. I've bartended in Madison and Milwaukee for over a decade, love concerts and live for Badger tailgates, noise is not an issue at all for me. The issue is the Edgewater assuming they can do as they please and are above the law.

First, the "Grand Plaza" is being paid for by city tax revenue so welcoming the public to a space the city paid for and pays to manage is just a big middle finger to anyone that lives here. The very fact they have their own street (Wisconsin Place, not Ave) should shed some light on things for most of you. You build a hotel in a residential area and you have to adjust accordingly which they have made little effort to do so. Their privileged guests shouldn't be allowed to be extremely loud drunks screaming all hours of the night without any recourse. They built the plaza like an amphitheater which makes everything even more audible, to counter this they were told to place signs on the stairs leading up from the Boathouse and true to form failed to do so. For me that just goes to show how little effort they are willing to put forth in order to meet the neighborhood halfway.

As for the music, the bands were for the most part awful and not just genre selection but quality. I love concerts but again you built an amphitheater on a lake so there's no need to turn it up so that those coming off the Capitol loop can hear it, which seems a ploy in of itself. It's pretty simple math, you're allowed up to X dbs and they went well over without caring every time. There was music coming from the rooftop bar for a week straight, I went over and complained for three days straight and each time I was turned away saying there was no music. On the third day I finally call MPD and they did a walk through with management and wouldn't you believe it, a speaker was left on that they hadn't turned off via a circuit breaker that was playing continuously. The ice rink is a nice tough and fun during the season but they can't seem to have a simple switch that turns the music off so that also will play through the night at least twice a week. Again, sound carries very well and hearing the same loop of holiday songs would drive anyone nuts. Especially when I call over and the night staff tells me they don't have a way to turn it off?

I love the views, I love that my friends can pick me up on the dock, I love being within walking distance of the loop and all the nightlife. I mean I've lived here for six years obviously I enjoy where I live but I'm also respectful of my neighbors even the ones that are awful to me. The Edgewater could have just made a little effort that would have gone a long way but they refused to because they place themselves above everything. They did it to themselves and then bitch about the whole thing which is just the most ironic part of it.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:25 pm

So, if I may summarize, the thing that bothers you the most is that you don't like their attitude. They feel that they're above the law, and refuse to meet the neighborhood halfway.
I certainly wouldn't like being treated that way. I don't know what your demeanor is like when you interact with the staff, but given that there are neighbors who fought this project tooth and nail from the beginning, I can also understand a less than cooperative attitude on the hotel's part. I think this feud won't die down for quite awhile.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:00 pm

MadisonHomer wrote:The very fact they have their own street (Wisconsin Place, not Ave) should shed some light on things for most of you. [emphasis mine, because: awesome]

They don't "have their own street." Until the revamp, they had the best address ever: 666 Wisconsin Avenue. You want to blame somebody for their Wisconsin Place address, blame Christians.

MadisonHomer wrote:You build a hotel in a residential area and you have to adjust accordingly which they have made little effort to do so.

You know the Edgewater's been there for nearly 70 years, right? It's been Edgewater's neighborhood for more than ten times as long as it's been yours.

Which isn't to say I don't feel for you, Homer. If you're bothered by entitlement, you must HATE living at the top of fraternity row.

P.S. "the loop"? are you sure you live here?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

"Your favorite band sucks"

Postby penquin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:21 am

MadisonHomer wrote:As for the music, the bands were for the most part awful and not just genre selection but quality.

Which bands are you referring to? Are you talking about Natty Nation? Are you claiming that Madison County sucks as a country band? Was Pat McGurdy out of tune or something?

Could you perhaps name some "quality" local/regional bands that you beleive should have performed instead, or are you mostly interested in stopping the music rather than replacing it?

you're allowed up to X dbs and they went well over without caring every time.

How much over? Please be specific...it is kind of important to this discussion.

Return to “Hype Exchange”