Anthony Bourdain

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Anthony Bourdain

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am

Bwis53 wrote:
thebookpolice wrote:Delete your account.
I'm guessing this was aimed at me. If you disagree with what I posted, why not just explain why?

It was not. It was directed at the horrifyingly blinkered and perhaps unintentionally hideous Beaver.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:32 pm

thebookpolice wrote:the horrifyingly blinkered and perhaps unintentionally hideous Beaver.

Worst...Animaniac...ever.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:39 pm

TBP thinks I am hideous? Compared to posts by others that are routine here? We definitely have a difference of opinion.

Did my post violate any of the forum policies? I don't think so. Did it insult any poster here? No. Are harmless comments at the passing of a pompous celebrity a problem? No.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Bourdain didn't strike me as pompous at all.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Most celebrities strike me as pompous, including him. It pretty much goes with the territory. His name even rhymes with vain.

Like I said, I enjoyed his shows and watched many of them. But he is just another rich, famous celebrity who had an early and troubled end.

I would say I will miss his shows but it seems like he had been to almost every country, so what else was there to do with his show? His show probably had nowhere to go. Maybe he realized that and it led him to do what he did.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Yeah, no rules are violated, but you and Shorty seem to have some deep empathy deficit. Whether it be a helicopter crash, suicide, or natural disaster, you just don't seem to give a shit aside from being chuffed you could start a thread about it.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:38 pm

What's your real name Beaver, so we can falsely attribute characteristics to you after you die based on a name you had no role in choosing. You're the worst.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Beaver wrote:Most celebrities strike me as pompous, including him. It pretty much goes with the territory. His name even rhymes with vain.

no, i think it is closer to rhyming with "pen" . . .

Like I said, I enjoyed his shows and watched many of them. But he is just another rich, famous celebrity who had an early and troubled end.

I would say I will miss his shows but it seems like he had been to almost every country, so what else was there to do with his show? His show probably had nowhere to go. Maybe he realized that and it led him to do what he did.

noo . . . he never did a wisconsin show did he? there were plenty of places left . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:52 pm

gozer wrote: he never did a wisconsin show did he?

Andrew Zimmern has that covered.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:58 pm

He stopped in Milwaukee for the "Heartland" episode of his previous series, No Reservations.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
gozer wrote: he never did a wisconsin show did he?

Andrew Zimmern has that covered.

i remember seeing that one . . . has anyone here had duck blood soup? it sounds like it might be good for anaemia . . . though i remember from the dentist's office that blood must be an acquired taste . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:22 pm

The Travel Channel has been running Bourdain's old shows. The one from his visit to Cuba in 2013 included a restaurant in Havana where Ms Vilas and I ate lunch in December. He had the same meal. Chicken, black beans and rice.

My favorite lines from that show was when Bourdain said the three best things that resulted from the Revolution were baseball, health care and education. The three worst were breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:02 pm

gozer wrote: . . . has anyone here had duck blood soup?

Yup. Years ago I had czernina at Crocus in Milwaukee. It was delicious.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:43 pm

thebookpolice wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:
thebookpolice wrote:Delete your account.
I'm guessing this was aimed at me. If you disagree with what I posted, why not just explain why?

It was not. It was directed at the horrifyingly blinkered and perhaps unintentionally hideous Beaver.

Agreed. Dick move.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:40 am

Beaver wrote:Most celebrities strike me as pompous, including him. It pretty much goes with the territory. His name even rhymes with vain.

This is probably the stupidest thing you've ever posted. Oh, wait,
Beaver, asking me to hold his beer wrote:Like I said, I enjoyed his shows and watched many of them. But he is just another rich, famous celebrity who had an early and troubled end.

Every tribute I came across after Bourdain's death emphasized his compassion and humanity. Feel free to read these comments and reconsider your opinion.

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a21233 ... reactions/

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/148842/ ... journalist

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annal ... -the-truth

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”