NutKrack

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

NutKrack

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:23 pm

Eric Rupert will be soon opening a place on Atwood that will only sell his pecan confection.

Rupert, the former executive chef at Epic Systems, has been making the salty-sweet roasted pecan confection for about 10 years, giving it away as holiday gifts for friends and family. Along the way, he experimented with the recipe and discovered a new technique that yielded a shockingly delicious result. “I accidentally did something, and it turned out super well,” Rupert says. “All I will say is that the process is counter-intuitive.” The “happy accident” was so tasty that Rupert ate an entire pound of nuts in one sitting. “That doesn’t happen to me,” he says. “That told me right away they were good.”

I'll have to give it a try. I hope a place that only sells one thing can make it.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: NutKrack

Postby Cadfael » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Yeah I want to get a taste of that. Having his own store might give him an inside track at getting his stuff out to other local shops, the way Jenny Market sells their fresh squeezed OJ out to places like Batch and sells goods from local bakeries. It seems like businesses are more comfortable dealing with somebody who's got a brick and mortar shop than someone making it in their kitchen.

And if he does find a way to diversify or sell things that accompany candied nuts, well why not.

I wish it had a name that didn't make me flinch. But I'll get over that I'm sure.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:31 am

I almost posted about this place a while back. I can't imagine a place that sells one snack item being able to make a go of it as a retail shop. They must be thinking of this mostly as a production facility to distribute to stores and online.

Also, as Cadfael mentions above, the name is atrocious. I find it tacky to use addiction as an advertising strategy. Saying that something like candied pecans or french fries are "like crack" is just classless.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am

Beard wrote:Also, as Cadfael mentions above, the name is atrocious. I find it tacky to use addiction as an advertising strategy. Saying that something like candied pecans or french fries are "like crack" is just classless.

Maybe they're just George Kuchar fans.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Beard wrote:Also, as Cadfael mentions above, the name is atrocious. I find it tacky to use addiction as an advertising strategy. Saying that something like candied pecans or french fries are "like crack" is just classless.

You'll probably want to eschew Hopcat's crack fries then.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”