Kitchen Gallery closing

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Kitchen Gallery closing

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:33 am

I was in the Willy St store once looking for a gift and I thought they would do better on King st. with more foot traffic and better nearby parking options.

http://host.madison.com/ct/entertainmen ... fa327.html

I was not surprised to see this in the article:

Several factors led to the Kitchen Gallery's closing. Years of construction on the east side of the Capitol Square, Doty Street and King Street cut down on summer foot traffic at the store.

But more than that, Kelly said, was the phenomenon of shoppers coming in to ask questions about All-Clad sauté pans, Emile Henry tagines and Henckels knives, only to leave and buy the items online.

I would have a hard time dealing with that as a business owner but I know it's just the way things are. I do wonder how many of those people nod in agreement with a buy local ethos when the subject comes up in social circles.

I can't claim to have bought anything from them but cooking isn't my thing and most of our stuff is hand-me-downs. Half our household buys online and I try to balance it out by buying local. Not always at locally-owned stores but at least employing local people. I'm trying to limit my bitching about a changing world but I really hope brick & mortar can find a way to survive in the future without everything turning into a Costco.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Kitchen Gallery closing

Postby Ducatista » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:23 pm

I was so sad to hear this. We've bought lots of stuff there over the years, from utensils and gadgets and barware to our tagine and a beautiful Mauviel copper fry pan. It's been one of my go-tos for cool but inexpensive hostess and holiday gifts.

This'll make the third shop in that building that I've loved and lost: J. Kinney, the gift store in the back on Pinckney (I'm blanking on the name), and now Kitchen Gallery.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:40 pm

I buy local as much as I can but that shop was too high end for me. I understand cost, upkeep, and profit, but a lot of that stuff was available locally for less, and the one of a kind stuff was too much for the use we'd be giving it.

A lot of our kitchen stuff is from Ace on Willy and Kessenich's. Some things we've bought online but I don't go to other stores to look at it first.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Cadfael wrote:I buy local as much as I can but that shop was too high end for me.

They carry a lot of inexpensive stuff. But they put the Mauviel in the window and call themselves a gallery, so I'm sure people who've never even been in the shop might have that same impression.

There's still Tellus Mater downtown for gadgets and barware, and Fromagination for gifty things. But I'll miss KG.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”