Ready for Thanksgiving?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Ready for Thanksgiving?

Postby universitylad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 am

When do you most of you all head to the grocery stores to purchase your Thanksgiving food?
I was at my local store on Saturday and it seemed less busy than usual! I was thinking it was going to be packed.

I'll have to head back today to get a few odds and ends yet. Have a few days off before working later in the week and being on call for the holiday.

universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ready for Thanksgiving?

Postby universitylad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:55 am

What's on your menu this year?

Ina Garten's Stuffing looks dee-lish!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... pe-1943434

Or maybe Turkey and Stuffing En Croute for those less inclined to cook?
https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/t ... -en-croute

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 am

Family was in the state for a different event, so I hosted an early Tday dinner last week. Was the biggest meal I've cooked for my own parents, which was a special kind of treat in itself. Brother and sis-in-law brought cake, but otherwise made the whole feast myself. First turkey I cooked in almost 20 years, but came out perfect. (salt, pepper, basted in butter and then sealed in a cooking bag). Am eating soup from the leftovers right now.

A green bean casserole that would make Fennel weep (and not in joy), a traditional family-recipe corn casserole, roasted Brussels sprouts&carrots with pecans & dried cranberries, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and some rolls were the side dishes. Freely admit to being totally biased, but it was goooooood!!

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Who is the only one who doesn't eat on Thanksgiving? The turkey, because he is stuffed!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:45 pm

penquin wrote:Freely admit to being totally biased, but it was goooooood!!

Sounds lovely. Well done!

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Oh man, I am gonna eat sooooo much delicious sodium this week . . .

The Wagstaffs do Thanksgiving proper with Dad's extended family, then Friday morning me, Mom and Dad, and my brother's family (wife & 3 kids) hit up a favorite greasy spoon in my hometown for brunch where I will be having fucking bacon you'd better believe it, then Friday night is the traditional Day-After-Thanksgiving pizza party with Mom's family.
Saturday is reserved mostly for driving and pooping.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 pm

We're all set. Last year was the first time my wife and I hosted the family for this holiday. Usually we had Christmas, but a brother got divorced, and now we have 'em all! After having the experience last year, we know exactly what to do, so now it's much easier. And the brother has gotten used to being a single parent. Life goes on. Something else to be thankful for.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”