Low Sodium Recommendations

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Low Sodium Recommendations

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:40 pm

I've been having glorious dinner salads all Summer. I got very tired of too much salt and sugar in Italian dressing. I googled a recipe, made a little adjustment and yummy! I've got some chives outside and will experiment with them next. I eat Madison Sour Dough. When I want a quick cheap-ass grilled cheese, I use Butternut.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:17 am

Look at the sodium content of the bread you eat.
Vary your diet accordingly.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Mad Howler wrote:Look at the sodium content of the bread you eat.
How does one do that? I've never seen sodium content listed on a bread label. Is this just a thing for the processed stuff?

I think it's more useful to figure out how a given bread is made, then stay away from bread that isn't made to be eaten, even if it's expected to be eaten.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:09 pm

fennel wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:Look at the sodium content of the bread you eat.
How does one do that? I've never seen sodium content listed on a bread label. Is this just a thing for the processed stuff?

I think it's more useful to figure out how a given bread is made, then stay away from bread that isn't made to be eaten, even if it's expected to be eaten.

Does it say anywhere? Something like, you can chew and swallow this, but it isn't food?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 am

fennel, I really don't think your bread elitism is going to win any converts, so can we agree to stipulate that you have strong opinions about the bread you allow to pass your lips? I don't think it needs to be said another 20 times in 20 more dismissive and superior ways.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:57 am

"I fart in your general direction," right-wing wannabe mimic.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:04 am

Food fight!

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:04 am

fennel wrote:"I fart in your general direction," right-wing wannabe mimic.

wha...?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 pm

thebookpolice wrote:
fennel wrote:"I fart in your general direction," right-wing wannabe mimic.

wha...?

At least the fart gas is absent components of inedible bread.
I hear that shit really stinks.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:05 pm

Never did report back to say I've been enjoying lots and lots of wonderful salt-free stovetop popcorn, so thanks again to Ducatista for preventing me from making an unnecessary purchase (even though she probably won't approve of my "BBQ" flavor, made with roasted garlic powder, onion powder, and lots of smoked paprika. Yummo!)

As all true popcorn lovers (oughtta) know, nothing pairs with it better than chocolate. I don't keep candy around because that would be dangerous but I do always have hot chocolate mix on-hand. Lucky for me, I only have one cup every few days because I had no idea there was so much goddamn sodium in there! I sure do have a lot to learn . . .

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Never did report back to say I've been enjoying lots and lots of wonderful salt-free stovetop popcorn, so thanks again to Ducatista for preventing me from making an unnecessary purchase (even though she probably won't approve of my "BBQ" flavor, made with roasted garlic powder, onion powder, and lots of smoked paprika. Yummo!)

Yay! Maybe I'll become some sort of Johnny Popcornkernel, spreading the oil-popped gospel. I probably won't be trying your flavor mix, but if you like it and it's keeping the salt away, I definitely approve.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:32 pm

I just discovered a dressing that doesn't taste too sweet and too salty: Newman's Olive Oil & Vinegar. It does have a little garlic, which I love.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I just discovered a dressing that doesn't taste too sweet and too salty: Newman's Olive Oil & Vinegar. It does have a little garlic, which I love.

Sounds delicious (and as a general rule, I do like Newman's Own products) but here's the thing: while it's not a ridiculous amount of salt (150mg in a serving of 2Tbsp) I am confused why there's any salt in there at all. I mix oil and vinegar at home sometimes and it's never even occurred to me to add salt (and I mean ever, long before I was watching my sodium intake.) Why would I want salty salad? But even if I did, how hard is it to shake a little salt on there?

Ultimately, that's what I find so confusing about all the sodium in packaged food. We all have salt on the table at home, don't we? So why is there 960mg of salt (that's 40% of the USRDA) in a single can of reduced sodium soup? Why not put a tiny fraction of that in and let me salt it to taste once it's in my bowl? Cuz there's really no way to get salt out of something but it's easy peasy to get more salt into something. I get some amount of salt might be added as a preservative and I also get people like salty things, but holy shit, you just don't need that much fucking salt in anything. Somehow, people have convinced themselves that without a boatload of salt, things are flavorless. Just watch pretty much any TV chef if you don't believe me.* Anyone who believes you must add salt to "bring out the flavor" of onions or garlic being sauteed has obviously never bothered to try it without adding salt. It's just some collective myth chefs seem to have all agreed on for no good reason, near as I can figure. Yes, salt is tasty. You know what else is tasty? Raw onions and garlic. Or onions and garlic sauteed in a little oil. Or the 35+ other herbs and spices on my rack.

*Kevin Belton is the absolute worst in this regard. He adds salt so many times during the cooking process it makes me thirsty just watching. And he routinely makes excuses. "I know it looks like I'm adding a lot of salt but you really need it to bring out the flavor of the . . . " No, you don't. You just like salt, Kevin.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Why not put a tiny fraction of that in and let me salt it to taste once it's in my bowl? Cuz there's really no way to get salt out of something but it's easy peasy to get more salt into something.

I'm surprised you haven't looked it up. Lots of literature on that, some on the fluffy side, some on the science-y side. <<< That NCBI link doesn't speak to why salt before serving, but this one does — and it includes good news for you: salt added at the end of cooking or after packs more of a "salty" wallop, so you can get away with less if you don't mind giving up some depth of flavor. (You'll find a similar conclusion in the NCBI link if you read far enough, it just doesn't explain why anyone would salt earlier.)

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:46 pm

I will check the NCBI link out more thoroughly when I have more time but sure, I've heard explanations about the chemical processes involved when you salt something. I've also put unsalted garlic in my mouth which I still maintain is something most chefs seem to have never bothered to do for themselves, choosing instead to just believe the passed-along common wisdom that without salt, it won't be flavorful. But it is. I mean, I used to be a very heavy smoker and even before quitting I had no trouble tasting sauteed veggies that hadn't been salted. I've been making chicken noodle soup for years without adding any salt and everyone who has ever tasted it has declared it delicious. Maybe they're lying, I dunno. There's already sodium in the stock after all. (And yes, I make my own from scratch without adding any salt. Plenty of sodium in chicken naturally.) Not flavorful enough? I'll pass ya the pepper mill and some fresh, chopped parsley.

As for the Test Kitchen link, I don't doubt their results in the least. I do, however, doubt the need to add salt to roasted carrots in the first place. I never do when I make'em (and again, this was true even before actively trying to limit my sodium intake) and they've always been delicious. Why should carrots be salty, for fucks' sake? So while I appreciate the science, I think modern folk are just overly used to things tasting salty because we've just decided as a culture that's how shit's supposed to be. I doubt that was the case back when salt was still used to pay wages and wars were being fought over it. (Take that, other peoples' culinary preferences!)

I swear, I'm no salt hater (and am well aware my body needs sodium to live) but yeeeeesh, it doesn't need to be in everything. And because it seems to be, it just means now that I'm trying to limit my intake, I have far fewer opportunities to enjoy it where it truly belongs -- like on popcorn! -- because it's so prevalent where it need not be.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”