Low Sodium Recommendations

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
ichiban71

Re: Low Sodium Recommendations

Postby ichiban71 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:03 pm

I also had to reduce my salt intake a couple years ago. I didn't have much luck with the salt substitutes until I tried potassium chloride which is available at most grocery stores. Whenever I get the craving for a salty snack I'll make oven fries, or pop corn and I'll use that instead. You can also use it in baking and just about any other recipe. Although, I've noticed that it does give off a metallic taste to some folks so you should probably try just a little bit at first. Hunts makes a salt free ketchup that uses potassium chloride and I would bet most folks would never know the difference. I actually prefer it over the iodized stuff (YUCK) and bonus: most people's diets are potassium deficient.

Also, it helps to increase the amount of water you drink to flush excess salt from your system.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 pm

And if you drink water that has been softened, potassium chloride is a good substitute for regular salt in the water softener.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Not drinking enough water will never be a problem for me. I drink more water than anyone else I know. In the morning, I have a couple three cups of coffee most days but after that there's pretty much always a 32-oz. cup of ice water by my side. It's also the only thing I drink with meals (and I drink a lot when I eat -- always have.)
And, y'know, beer is mostly water too. ;)

It is tap water but it's from my kitchen faucet, which is not softened.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:33 am

Ducatista wrote:I'm just saying you could skip the cooking altogether if you go with the packing peanuts.

That's just silly. How do you get the packing peanuts to melt into the chocolate bar & graham cracker if you don't heat 'em up first?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 pm

The caller makes an excellent point.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:18 pm

This is why god made the microwave.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:33 pm

And just remember: Variety is the cilantro of life.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:00 am

In case anyone wanted solid evidence that yep, Prof. Wagstaff really is an idiot . . .

In my quest for a cheap-ass bread that can sit on my countertop for 2 months but isn't as loaded with salt as the average, I dutifully checked labels on dozens of brands/styles and finally found one with "only" 70mg of sodium per slice (which still works out to 6% of the average recommended Daily Value per sandwich.)

Here's the winner:
Of course, when checking those labels, it never occurred to me this miracle of sodium reduction was accomplished by the simple trick of making the slices much thinner than the norm! So while the "serving size" was still one slice (because obviously that is the normal serving size for bread), you'd need at least three of'em to equal two slices of any other similar brand.

Oh, Wags! You sure is not smart sometimes. This is why I can't have nice things. (And by things I mean "pants that fit".)

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Isn't that on them, though? You had to buy a loaf in order to open it and find the particular dishonest trick they used to foist their product on you.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:13 pm

gargantua wrote:Isn't that on them, though? You had to buy a loaf in order to open it and find the particular dishonest trick they used to foist their product on you.

Careful examination through the plastic would have revealed the less-thick-than-usual slices and while it does say "serving size: 1 slice" it includes the weight in grams and ounces as well, so a more careful reading would have revealed the trick. I would still argue their packaging is deceptive but that doesn't excuse just how easily deceived I was, I don't think.
And of course, despite all that, it's not like when I make a sandwich I'm adding an extra slice to compensate, so I'm still getting less sodium then I would have with the bread I used to buy, which was the goal, after all.

For the record: the bread itself is pretty tasty for, y'know, cheap-ass "wheat" bread.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm pretty sure that's just not bread. If real bread's too expensive for you, maybe go with Marie Antoinette's suggestion, and have brioche instead.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:39 pm

fennel wrote:I'm pretty sure that's just not bread.

I agree with you to the extent that every time I've brought it up, I've called it "cheap-ass bread" to make clear it's sorta its own thing. So while I really don't wanna discourage anyone from contributing here, I'm not sure why you continue to harp on this.
We get it.
You're a bread snob.
That's terrific but it's also irrelevant. Even if I could afford to buy "true" bread, most of which is just gonna go bad before I can eat it anyway, I'd still be trying to reduce my sodium intake and that stuff is loaded with it. Some days, though -- and it's not often or this wouldn't be an issue to begin with -- I just want a sandwich. For that, I need "some kind of bread-like substance between which I can place ingredients" and this stuff fits the bill just fine, thank you very much.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Oh, for heaven's sake. And you're a Hawkwind snob! (Heard on WFMU this past week, BTW.)

My point is, if it's its not nourishing, it's not food. So if food item A is out of scope for your budget at a given point, find a good alternative. (As opposed to an industrial alternative.)

Millet is cheap and nourishing, for example. And that will keep in a dry bin for many months.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:01 pm

Beer is food. Kinda like liquid bread. Don't know the sodium content of an IPA, but I expect it's zilch.

My doc told me that alcohol only elevates some people's bp. Although the weight gain of a beer belly can affect it.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:14 pm

fennel wrote:And you're a Hawkwind snob!

Sure, but every time someone mentions a band they like that's not Hawkwind, I don't tell them they're doing it wrong or that what they like isn't even really music so why even bother. It's not that your opinion is bad or wrong or even uninteresting, we've just already had the conversation.

fennel wrote:My point is, if it's its not nourishing, it's not food.

I'm not eating Play-Doh, fer fuckssake! The cheap-ass bread pictured upthread has nourishment. Besides just calories, it has not-insignificant amounts of carbs, fiber, calcium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and folate. It's not just some sort of non-nutritional paste made from vats of industrial goop. It's flour, water, gluten, yeast, sugar, soy. There's literally no ingredients on here I can't identify. You don't like it; totally fine. That's no reason to misrepresent what it is, though.

fennel wrote:Millet is cheap and nourishing, for example. And that will keep in a dry bin for many months.
See, you can't really believe this is helpful advice, can you? I've explained why I keep cheap-ass bread around and what I use it for. A dry bin full of millet is obviously not gonna fill the same need.

I can imagine a day when I no longer desire sandwiches, but I'm not there yet. In the meantime, they remain a quick, lazy way to eat a small meal which doesn't require much preparation.
Last edited by Prof. Wagstaff on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”