Brennan's closing in September

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brennan's closing in September

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:25 am

I hope the new Brennan's jams are made with cane sugar, not high-fructose corn syrup. That was one thing I didn't like about the old place.

universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:48 am

I hope they will still carry the Basil Farmers Cheese.

I enjoyed the University Ave Store the most.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 am

Got an email from Brennan's Cellars today. They officially open on Monday, but will hold a "sneak preview" this weekend.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:52 am

Finally made it to Brennan's Cellars yesterday. Very similar to their old places with some additions, including a sit down area near the deli. Not run by Jacobson's, but they do carry their potato salad. Good to see the absence of high-fructose corn syrup in their jams and jellies.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I hope the new Brennan's jams are made with cane sugar, not high-fructose corn syrup. That was one thing I didn't like about the old place.

whose idea was that, by the way? given the number of products ruined by the cane sugar to high fructose corn syrup change (and it is not that h f c s is a bad thing or objectively tastes like arse -- it is just that it does not taste like cane sugar and what kind of glue-addled food scientist and/or parasite marketing person has the idea that people cannot tell the difference? maybe they could get away with beet sugar or even sorghum syrup, then again maybe not) including several colas (wasn't that the number two issue with the new coke débacle in 1985? aside from the fact that with or without the c-jam*, coca leaves have a distinct and very good taste which no other cola has had since 1910 when celery=cola was taken off the market for using leaves with the c-jam still in them and advertising to the contrary) -- i see that royal crown cola has recently re-appeared after being essentially deep-sixed by a similar change about the same time . . .

why not come up with some products with the corn syrup in it because it tastes good and advertise it for that reason. rather than trying to cut corners and insult consumers' intelligence?

---
* the de-cocainised coca leaf concentrate is exactly that, they use an acid-base extraction to get it out for mallinckrodt, roxane, and merck et al which takes care of the bitter alkaloidy taste -- and since no chemical process is 100 per cent efficient down to the molecular level, yes, coca-cola has c-jam in it at part-per-trillion levels all other things being equal . . . water intoxication and a massive caffeine overdose would kill anyone who tried to get enough coca-cola down their gullet at once to feel it, probably a whole swimming pool full . . . and then we have the case of the enegy drink, the savage one, rockstar i think it is called, which was found to actually have pharmacologically-active quantities of bolivian marching powder in a couple of batches . . .

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”