Cooking jags

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cooking jags

Postby Ducatista » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 am

fennel wrote:(Cheerios with skimmed milk? Let's skip that.)

I've been making my own cold breakfast cereal. Extra-thick rolled oats, chopped almonds & pecans (toast 'em), roasted sunflower kernels, unsweetened coconut flakes, chopped dried tart cherries, cinnamon, and a tiny bit of salt. Pour 1/2 cup of rice or cashew or coconut milk over 1 cup of cereal, let sit for a few minutes, and YUM.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:46 pm

It really sounds good. It also sounds like a lot of work, especially if one is not a morning person.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Oh god no. You make it in batches and store it in the fridge. One batch is 5 cups, or 5 workday breakfasts for me.

Start to finish: 10 minutes if you're poky. It'd take even less time if you didn't toast the nuts, but toast the damned nuts already.

Here's Mark Bittman's recipe:

3-1/2 cups rolled oats
    1/2 cup chopped nuts or seeds (I do an even split of almonds, pecans, & sunflower)
    1/2 cup raisins or other chopped dried fruit (I HATE raisins, so I use cherries)
    1/2 cup unsweetened grated coconut
    1/2 tsp cinnamon or cardamom
    pinch of salt

1. Combine the oats, nuts and seeds, raisins, coconut, and spices in a large bowl. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 months.

2. To serve, put about 1 cup in a bowl and top with 1/2 cup milk. If you have some time, let the bowl sit for 5 to 10 minutes to let the oats absorb some of the milk so they’ll soften and sweeten.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm dubious. That can't be Mark Bittman's recipe, it's too straightforward.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Dube all you like, but I got it from him. Except for the toasting. That's all mine. YES I BROUGHT UP THE TOASTING AGAIN, WHAT.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:I'm dubious. That can't be Mark Bittman's recipe, it's too straightforward.

Are we talking about the same Mark Bittman? The Minimalist?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:I'm dubious. That can't be Mark Bittman's recipe, it's too straightforward.

Kinda confused by this comment given Bittman's How To Cook Everything is probably the most straightforward cookbook I've ever had the pleasure of consulting.
Your joke would play better about Martha Stewart, I think. Note, for example, step two of this two-step Tuna Salad Sandwich recipe: https://www.marthastewart.com/348577/ma ... d-sandwich

(Also, don't peel your goddamn apples before slicing them for a sandwich! What kind of madness is that? )

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:16 pm

It can't be Mark Bittman because where's the half cup of olive oil poured over the top? (Or is that Martha Shulman? Or maybe the entire NY Times?)

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:26 pm

OK, obviously perceptions differ and I seem to be outnumbered here. All I know is that of the 9 vegetarian cookbooks I own, Bittman's 1000-page tome has the most complicated recipes, the most seemingly extraneous ingredients, the most lengthy explications of cooking techniques, etc. I think there is perhaps one recipe I've adopted from it, compared to a couple dozen from the other books.

But I am no foodie, so what do I know.

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:My latest jag has been breakfast skillets, as often as not for dinner (because the idea of foods only being appropriate at certain times of day has never made a lick of sense to me.)

But I have a question for my fellow cooks: do you pre-cook your taters before frying them?
Most recipes I've seen suggest either boiling or microwaving your potatoes first then cutting them up and putting them in the pan to brown. When I do that, the skins get soggy and slip off, as opposed to getting nice 'n' crispy how I likes'em when I do them exclusively in the pan, a process which takes decidedly longer. So I've been dicing them first and putting in the time to do them in the skillet, which is usually fine -- while they cook, I cut up whatever else I'm adding and add them as I go -- but there are days when I'd like to be able to do it quicker just not if it means sacrificing texture. Any advice?

I'm a fan of parboiling the spuds with salt and vinegar prior to frying them. End result is a nicely textured and crisp exterior.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/food-lab-how-to-make-great-home-fries.html

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:OK, obviously perceptions differ and I seem to be outnumbered here.

I seemed to be "outnumbered here" because I was totally wrong of course.

I compared some recipes from Bittman's book to their equivalents in others, and of course as all the people upthread were trying to tell me they aren't any more complicated or overdone. Something about the book itself just gave me that vibe. Not sure why. Anyway, I learned something.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”