Cooking jags

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Cooking jags

Postby fennel » Wed May 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Have you gotten fixated on a certain ingredient or theme in your cooking, either by whim or by circumstance?

(Cheerios with skimmed milk? Let's skip that.)

With the weather still occasionally on the cool side, I find myself roasting vegetables. Carrots, onions, potatoes, etc. Usually with some good olive oil, rosemary, and red pepper flakes. Fennel seeds, to be sure.

I think light salads — with fresh, delicate greens from the garden — are on their way.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cooking jags

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Pecans.

I put pecans on everything and eat them by the handful. No idea why. I figure there's a Vitamin P in there someplace and I need more of it.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Sweet onions! In everything savory, raw or cooked.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 10, 2017 7:43 pm

fennel wrote:. . . rosemary . . .

This has been my go-to flavor of late. It's so great on just about everything. I even used it recently in a marinade for some steaks I grilled for the fellas who come over for weekly Movie Night and everyone agreed it was transformatively delicious.

I've also been on a baked potato kick. I had somehow forgotten how delicious and filling they are and the price just can't be beat. Tonight's potato -- I am by no means locked into particular toppings -- will be smothered in my homemade blue cheese dressing with a little shredded cheddar and some crumbled bacon. That blue cheese dressing doesn't require cooking per se but I try to pretty much always keep some on hand, so that jag has been ongoing for a couple years now.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 10, 2017 8:42 pm

I've got to third (?) the rosemary. I'm not a cook by any means, but other than my genetic distaste for cilantro, I love the spicy!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu May 11, 2017 8:01 am

We've been going craaayyyzeeee with the ramps over the last couple of weeks, in a 'strike while the iron is hot' kind of way.

Everyone keeps saying, 'This is the last week for ramps.' And then we get to the farmer's market, and there are ramps out the wazoo.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 15, 2017 7:08 pm

I realized I've been making these once, sometimes twice a week, for many, many months now.
So simple! So delicious!

Stuffed red (or whatever color) peppers with feta/goat cheese and some variety of tiny tomatoes. They're even better with fresh basil leaves but I don't usually have those on-hand, so these just have some dried basil and thyme. (I shoulda used rosemary!) Drizzle a little olive oil on'em, bake covered with tin foil at 400 degrees for 30 min. then remove the foil for another 15 or so til the tomatoes are about to burst and the cheese has some nice browning.

Ttusker
Forum Addict

Postby Ttusker » Mon May 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Those look yummy!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 pm

It's turned a bit chilly, so I'm back to roasting. Rosemary and olive oil, as always. Today cumin seeds augment. Potatoes and carrots @ 425 for 25 minutes, then chicken thighs with sliced & separated onions for another 25. Maybe a 5-minute broil at the end to brown the chicken skin. A squeeze of lime juice or some nice vinegar to finish it off.

For a follow-up: perhaps a 24-hour fast.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:05 pm

fennel wrote:I think light salads — with fresh, delicate greens from the garden — are on their way.
And so it has come to pass. Beautiful tender greens, lightly dressed.

Also potatoes, boiled, dressed with chive butter. Chives are easy-schmeazy to grow and such a treat.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Ok, this is turning into a cooking paroxysm thread, I guess.

First time having grown Mizuna, we lightly steamed a bit and served it, chilled, over a potato salad made with an nice fresh vinaigrette, frilly dill from the garden, and sweet crunchy little "candy" onions/greens from the market.

Very simple, and flavorful enough to threaten conservative values everywhere.

(Indeed, within minutes of serving, a double rainbow appeared in the west.)

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 pm

My latest jag has been breakfast skillets, as often as not for dinner (because the idea of foods only being appropriate at certain times of day has never made a lick of sense to me.)

But I have a question for my fellow cooks: do you pre-cook your taters before frying them?
Most recipes I've seen suggest either boiling or microwaving your potatoes first then cutting them up and putting them in the pan to brown. When I do that, the skins get soggy and slip off, as opposed to getting nice 'n' crispy how I likes'em when I do them exclusively in the pan, a process which takes decidedly longer. So I've been dicing them first and putting in the time to do them in the skillet, which is usually fine -- while they cook, I cut up whatever else I'm adding and add them as I go -- but there are days when I'd like to be able to do it quicker just not if it means sacrificing texture. Any advice?

dooley
Forum Addict

Postby dooley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Next time you fire up the oven throw a couple of potatoes in and bake them with whatever else you have in there. Then when you start making your skillet, at any time of day you please, chop up some of the leftover baked potatoes and some butter/oil. I think that would help.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm

I agree with that. If you're going to have the oven on anyway - for whatever - baking some taters, for dinner or later is a good idea. It's nice to have a tater in the fridge you can cut up for breakfast frying or whenever. Once they're baked you could even freeze a couple for use much later.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 am

I am definitely gonna try that. Thanks!

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”