Favorite food tricks

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Favorite food tricks

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:02 am

Ducatista wrote:One of my sisters is the world's best pie baker. She switched from shortening to an all-butter crust about a decade ago and never looked back. Dunno her exact recipe, but she swears it's the easiest she's ever worked with. I've watched her bake many a pie, and the crust does look damned near indestructible while she's working with it, especially when she's weaving a lattice. End result is uh-ma-zing: tender, flaky, delicious.

Speaking of crust, pie cookies (leftover scraps of crust baked with a dusting of cinnamon & sugar) are in my top 5 favorite foods of all time. They taste/smell/feel like home.

Thnx - I've been looking for a legitimate reason to throw plant oils (manipulated or not) out the window w/ regard to my pie crusts.
Last edited by Mad Howler on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:00 am

Happy to help! Does that mean I get a slice?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:53 am

When following a recipe that calls for minced ginger, adjust the amount upward by at least 400%. It will make your mouth happy.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:58 am

I dunno... too much ginger tastes soapy to me. But it does take a LOT of ginger to get to that point.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Ducatista wrote:I dunno... too much ginger tastes soapy to me. But it does take a LOT of ginger to get to that point.

That is interesting, I never thought of too much ginger as soapy - perhaps I never got to that level.
I do know that a couple of decades ago - my naive tongue didn't see a heavy dose of cilantro as food in a cilantro laden pico de gallo . It was too "soapy".
It has been suggested/told to me that my response was genetically hard wired. Perhaps it was a genetic predisposition, but I can tell you now I find no level of cilantro soapy in my mouth.
Perhaps epigenetic re-wiring is at play.
I don't know - but I find this experience interesting.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:42 pm

If you want the essential experience of ginger, get a big fresh root, peel it, and grate it into a quart of water. Bring to a boil, then drop the heat to a very low simmer, and leave for a few hours. Strain into a cup and sip. I doubt you'll find it soapy, but some might find the bite a bit too much.

As for me, I love food that bites back.

[As long as I don't lose my tongue.]

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:40 pm

I've never found ginger soapy tasting when all the pulp is strained out, but grating the root directly into whatever we're eating does produce that soapy taste.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:52 pm

peripat wrote:I've never found ginger soapy tasting when all the pulp is strained out, but grating the root directly into whatever we're eating does produce that soapy taste.
Soapy? You're all on crack.

Piquant, biting, sharp ... maybe. But soapy? Y'all need to rinse your vittles!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:41 pm

fennel wrote:
peripat wrote:I've never found ginger soapy tasting when all the pulp is strained out, but grating the root directly into whatever we're eating does produce that soapy taste.
Soapy? You're all on crack.

Piquant, biting, sharp ... maybe. But soapy? Y'all need to rinse your vittles!

I always wash my hands with ginger before doing open heart surgery. The patients who survive smell a little soapy but they seldom complain.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:53 am

Back to pie crust. Has anyone tried an oil crust? My mom always made an oil crust for her pumpkin pie, and I LOVED it. Nutty, crumbly, and insanely easy.

This weekend I decided to try an oil crust with King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour under a quiche that usually goes crustless. It was a qualified success... I didn't blind bake the crust, and the quiche only bakes for 35 minutes, so I detect a slight floury taste. Next time I'll do a short prebake on the crust.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Most of my crust-making has been vicarious, but having watched over years, I get the sense that oil recipes don't really cut it. Chilled butter is the thing. And never lard — unless one is making pork pie, of course.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:07 pm

fennel wrote:Most of my crust-making has been vicarious, but having watched over years, I get the sense that oil recipes don't really cut it. Chilled butter is the thing.

A no-roll oil crust (which can be made with butter, btw) is a whole different animal from a traditional rolled crust, more crumbly and nutty than flaky and delicate. I wouldn't consider one a substitute for the other.

It's the nuttiness that makes an oil crust so great for pumpkin pie, IMO, and for savory tarts.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Ducatista - would you kindly explain how to prepare "a no-roll oil crust"?
I am unfamiliar with this animal & I am very curious.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:12 pm

Fine.
I'll look it up.
Although, I was looking for some tips.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:02 am

Easy on the salt, there, cowgirl. I was off the grid for a bit.

Here's my mom's recipe, which is similar to others I've seen:

1.5 cups flour
    1 t sugar
    1 t salt
    1/2 cup oil (you can use just about any, or even melted butter)
    2 T milk

Sift dry ingredients into a 9-inch pie pan. Stir milk into oil and pour all at once into the pan. Mix with a fork and press into the pan.
It takes a little patience and care to press it into a perfectly even crust, especially with a deep-dish pie pan, but keep at it and you'll get there. I don't prebake this crust for pumpkin pie (450° for 15 mins, 350° for 40-50) and it's perfect. I should've prebaked it for quiche (350° for 30-35 minutes, so: duh, in hindsight).

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”