Favorite food tricks

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Favorite food tricks

Postby fennel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Boiled (dead) potatoes are good, too. Add potatoes to water. Boil. Not too long.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:26 pm

fennel wrote:Boiled (dead) potatoes are good, too. Add potatoes to water. Boil. Not too long.

Let's just recognise seeds and tubers as "alive" if able to take root. This may or not be true when prepared for consumption.
Fork whole potatoes all over and boil in salted water,
Once cooked through - rice them.
Use your imagination to take this hot steaming result to wonderful.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Soft-boiled eggs on whatever.

Use the magic 6-minute steaming method for the eggs. (I tend toward 6.5 minutes in our kitchen.) Plunge eggs in cold water for 30 seconds, then drain, cover, and let sit for 2 minutes before peeling.

Have everything else ready to go before doing the eggs, and warm your bowls/plates if you have a cold-ass kitchen. Whatever might be a bed of wilted spinach alongside a mound of brown rice or soba noodles, steamed yams and a little puttanesca, mashed potatoes with kimchi, etc. Let circumstances be your guide, but know that tomatoes will always feature well. Have some toasted Cress Spring Expedition at hand, in any case.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:07 pm

add cherry syrup to regular coca-cola to make an effective cure for upset stomach and mild to moderate nausea. grenadine is not the same thing, even if one can slip that one past 75 per cent of the population. if u have taken the juice from a jar of marischino cherries, fill it back up with everclear and put it in the ice box for five weeks to six months. add opium to taste . . .

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Insert a popsicle. Pull out nothing but stick.

Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:42 pm

I think the French call a kitchen trick or clever bit of technique, or little secret, a truc (pronounced trook).

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:14 am

Those French.

Unrelated: I went 50 years without ever using parchment, and now I'm hooked on the stuff. I've been roasting a lot of veggies lately, and with parchment I usually don't need to wash the baking sheet afterward.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:24 pm

Something I haven't made in years: Saumon en Papilotte. Or whatever in papillotte. Basically, it's a method of cooking where the goodies are enclosed in an envelope of parchment paper — seams crimped — then baked at moderate temperatures. With salmon, I recall doing a white-wine/cream sauce with fresh dill and mustard. It's a method that lends itself well to freshwater fish or anything that benefits from delicate cooking.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:53 pm

My dad used to do that with fish, a slice of lemon and a few tablespoons of white wine, and foil instead of parchment to wrap it in. It was terrific and so quick and easy. Seems like he knew it was done when the foil packet puffed up. I wish I knew the temperature he set the oven at. Maybe you can find guidance on line.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:10 pm

We cook salmon on a cookie sheet on tinfoil at about 350 if that's any help. Don't wrap it though. Salt, pepper, and Penzy's Mural of Flavor.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Parchment paper (PP) is great stuff. If you make pizza at home - roll your dough out at thin as you like on a piece of PP, you'll need to flour the surface as usual to get the shape you want. What you will have is a piece of dough ready to be dressed with topping & easily slid into the oven.
Onto a stone in 565F oven in my case.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:01 pm

Pi day trick:
Pie crust was always a mess for me. I could work a reasonable dough - but the best crumb came from dough that is the most challenging to roll out. There is a tool for this - the tool is a wooden or plastic disc that comes with a tight fitting cloth cover. The solid cloth covered surface is easy to evenly dust with flour & provides a unique surface to form circles from difficult dough.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:04 am

I use the Fanny Farmer recipe and make a little more dough, in order to get a more generous crust.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:08 pm

Mad Howler wrote:Pie crust was always a mess for me. I could work a reasonable dough - but the best crumb came from dough that is the most challenging to roll out.

One of my sisters is the world's best pie baker. She switched from shortening to an all-butter crust about a decade ago and never looked back. Dunno her exact recipe, but she swears it's the easiest she's ever worked with. I've watched her bake many a pie, and the crust does look damned near indestructible while she's working with it, especially when she's weaving a lattice. End result is uh-ma-zing: tender, flaky, delicious.

Speaking of crust, pie cookies (leftover scraps of crust baked with a dusting of cinnamon & sugar) are in my top 5 favorite foods of all time. They taste/smell/feel like home.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Word is that Dorie Greenspan is the guru of crusts, and I think she uses an all-butter method.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”