Favorite food tricks

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Favorite food tricks

Postby gozer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:06 am

it is possible to cool down excessively hot foods, at least where coriander, cilantro, black pepper, white pepper, curries , and some other types of peppers are the reason, with dairy (such as a yoghurt or milk &c depending on the circumstances) or the addition of acid such as vinegar or lemon and/or lime juice . . .

what i would like to ask folks is how they undertake to salvage an overly-salted portion or dish, for example if someone unscrewed the lid on the salt cellar or lot's wife fell into the pot* . . .

i have been thinking about doing experiments to see which technique drops how many scoville units (https://www.chilliworld.com/factfile/sc ... villeScale) from which heat source, and whether different sources of heat are related to one another in different ways, but have not yet been able to dump a bunch of spice into some food to get started . . .

various spices and foods agonise or antagonise a vanillinoid receptor in the nervous system, which of course is also affected by vanilla, and there is some spectulation that cannabinoids could potentiate or interfere with various effects . . .

---
* as a last resort, if it cannot be fixed, maybe leave it out for the porcupines and other salt-hungry critters . . .

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:11 am

You can't un-salt. That's why I never add salt from a container. It goes into the hand first, or a spoon or some such.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: untested food tricks

Postby penquin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:09 am

Grandma would toss a whole potato (peeled) into the soup if she thought it was too salty and let it simmer for about 30 minutes before pulling the spud out, but I never tried it out myself.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:08 am

Ducatista wrote:A more practical tip: wrap your celery tightly in aluminum foil and it'll stay crisp for weeks.

Really wanted to thank you for this as it works like a charm. Keeps cucumbers fresh a lot longer too.

Practical question:
I made some cocktail sauce for this weekend and while it's delicious, it's too thin. (I suspect this is because I don't usually have ketchup in the house, so I just used tomato paste and vinegar.) Any good suggestions for thickening it a bit?

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:53 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ducatista wrote:A more practical tip: wrap your celery tightly in aluminum foil and it'll stay crisp for weeks.

Really wanted to thank you for this as it works like a charm. Keeps cucumbers fresh a lot longer too.

Practical question:
I made some cocktail sauce for this weekend and while it's delicious, it's too thin. (I suspect this is because I don't usually have ketchup in the house, so I just used tomato paste and vinegar.) Any good suggestions for thickening it a bit?

Add some horseradish...

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

What! I never thought of trying it for cucumbers. Thanks, Prof!

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”