Chorizo

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Chorizo

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:17 pm

I love chorizo more than life itself, it is my favorite food.
If you want a quick overview of chorizo, and how to make it, glance here:
http://honestcooking.com/authentic-home ... n-chorizo/

Most Mexican restaurants in Madison have so-so chorizo, or even worse, they use the bland Portuguese style. La Bamba's has the best, they get it from a Mexican grocer in Chicago.

I've tried every chorizo available in grocery stores. Grim. I've heard that the Mexican grocery/restaurant on Park has chorizo, will try.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mercado-marimar-madison-2

BTW, really authentic choriza is made with cow stomach. So it's best not to ask too many questions.

My new discovery is fake chorizo from Trader Joe's:

This stuff is delicous. The texture is good, and the spice overwhelms most underlying flavors anyway. Cooked some with scrambled eggs this morning. It is a step below the best chorizo in terms of the rush, you need real animal fat for that. But considering it is relatively healthy, I'll forgo the cow entrails.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Chorizo

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:21 pm

Huckleby wrote:BTW, really authentic choriza is made with cow stomach. So it's best not to ask too many questions.

Why not? You might end up with sheep or pig guts instead if you don't.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Actually, come to think of it, maybe it is pig gut. Chorizo comes in either pork or beef, more commonly piggy.

There is a mexican grocer in Calif that makes both types. With shipping (they pack it so it stays cool) it is a little expensive. I've heard is is fantastic. Maybe will try some day as a treat, a supplement to my new effete friend from TJs.
http://www.mexgrocer.com/42743-17990.html

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Huckleby wrote:BTW, really authentic choriza is made with cow stomach.

Are you thinking of menudo?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Nah, that's a soup, right? Lots of authentic dishes have tripe in them. La Hacienda on Park has a soup made with tripe, at least they used to. (It is a different name.) Some Mexican restaurants only serve the tripe dishes on Saturdays.

Not sure where I read that real chorizo has tripe. Sausage making isn't pretty - it could have eyes of newt in it too for all anyone would know.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:41 pm

I see that pig intestines are often used as casings for various sausages, so called "natural" casings.

This process involves taking the intestines arising from the slaughter of animals
(principally sheep and pigs) at slaughterhouses, stripping the mucosa and treating
with salt prior to sorting and grading. The finished stripped intestines are used primarily as natural sausage casings (although some pig intestines may be further processed into chitterlings).

The intestines are initially processed in the gut room of a slaughterhouse where the
gut waste (manure) is washed and stripped from the intestines.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -offal.pdf

Now I'm feeling hungry again.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:46 pm

If you ever get out of your parent's basement, I've been told by someone I trust (foodwise) that this tiny tienda in Janesville,

La Fiesta Mexicana
425 S Main St
Janesville, WI 53545

has homemade chorizo but you have to go on the weekend. Apparently they sell out fast. There's a street view on g-maps but I don't know how to post it.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks, will try.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:29 pm

I like the chorizo at Los Gemelos. Taco Shop is good too. They grill it up to make it crispy. Chorizo is almost better than bacon. Almost.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Los Gemelos has tasty chorizo fer sure. Some places mix chorizo with potato chunks, Los Gemelos being one of those. It is a traditional recipe. I ask Los Gemelos to hold the potatoes, and I get the full rush.

When I get a chorizo burrito at La Bamba, my favorite dealer, they withhold the beans for me. This too yields a pure, crystalline chorizo high.

BTW, I can't confirm anywhere that "real" chorizo typically contains tripe. I did read it somewhere, but maybe it was a bathroom wall. Also, Spanish or Portuguese chorizo might be very tasty prepared in the right dishes, it's just not what I'm seeking.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:31 pm

Huckleby wrote:I get the full rush....... La Bamba, my favorite dealer......yields a pure, crystalline chorizo high.

You sure we're talking about sausage here?

I too love chorizo, but can't say it's ever entered the realm of a narcotic experience. Being a pretty indifferent consumer of food, I don't have a preferred pusher..err...establishment, just random instances when it really hit the spot.

Also a big fan of mole. Unfortunately I was introduced to it by a Mexican gentleman I used to occasionally work for. He would insist I eat with the family when I worked there. Slightly awkward, as I was never sure if the kids ever realized who I was or what I was doing there. Anyway, the food was almost always amazing and restaurant mole has never quite matched it. Sometimes it's awful.

MrPoolaty

Postby MrPoolaty » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:22 am

Huckleby wrote:La Bamba's has the best, they get it from a Mexican grocer in Chicago.

I would probably kill to find out what grocer it is if this is the mid west burritos as big as your head place!!!
Does anyone know?

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”