Tomato season is here

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tomato season is here

Postby snoqueen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:49 pm

That's too bad.

Here on the east side I've had one of the best years ever. I just grow little bitty tomatoes because I don't care for the big squishy ones, and I mostly share them with friends. This year I put in two Sun Sugar plants (little round orange tomatoes) that have made plenty of delicious sweet tomatoes and are still producing. I also had a volunteer mystery plant that's made small red cherry tomatoes -- no idea what they are, but the flavor is extraordinary and they're plentiful. And a volunteer green zebra came up for about the fifth year running. In a few days I can pick a couple of those. They got a late start, but they're remarkably hardy and pretty.

My agriculture is pretty weird. I never gave the tomatoes any water other than what fell from the sky, but I've got nearly full sun and terrific soil because I've composted with leaves for ten years. In addition I've never used any chemicals so the soil microbial structure has to be excellent by this time. I've noticed no pests or diseases. I plant my few tomatoes right among all my prairie plants and I think something about that environment suits them. I just let them crawl all over, and the biggest of the plants has spread four or five feet on either side from where it's planted. This is unorthodox gardening but my only goal is a healthy environment and a daily handful of tasty little tomatoes.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:26 pm

I don't garden myself but I live with a mailman and he's brought home multiple bags of absolutely amazing tomatoes that a few of the folks on his route gifted him. We got a huge Ziploc stuffed full of great cherries, a handful of some that looked like Romas but tasted unlike any tomato I've ever had before, and another bag full of golf-ball sized yellow fellas that are out of this world tasty.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:18 am

Yeah, I got some nice organic cherries and one big one from a friend. Ate the cherries last night, along side a grilled cheese. Tomato salad today!

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:13 am

It's been a pretty good year for us. We've canned up over 40 quarts, plus froze a few quarts. And we've been eating them fresh and cooking with them all along. Things are starting to wind down, there's a lot fewer left on the plants.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:49 pm

We've managed to scrape together enough for 35 quarts, but the picking has been brutal. Maybe we're picking at the wrong farm. The Farmer's market tomatoes are way out of reach. $106 for a bushel of canning tomatoes - I can't do it.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:19 pm

I totally respect you folks who preserve. Me, I just stand out in the yard and eat tomatoes (and raspberries) out of hand. None of them ever makes it inside the house.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm

snoqueen wrote:I totally respect you folks who preserve. Me, I just stand out in the yard and eat tomatoes (and raspberries) out of hand. None of them ever makes it inside the house.
That's how it all begins ...

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm

I am not real fond of tomatoes (ripe) although I do eat them now and then with a cold plate. I do love green tomatoes fried though. They are as good as steak to me.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Umami is the root of all goodness.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:25 pm

There is hope. Today I found a couple of rogue tomato plants. One has cherry type tomatoes and the other has paste type tomatoes. If we get some rain and the warm weather stays around, these green tomatoes can ripen and I may get my first home grown tomato this year.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Yes, the warm weather seems to be helping. We should have another 19 quarts by the end of the day. Bob bless the tomato gods.

[Correction: 22 quarts. Mirabile Dictu!]

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:54 pm

We scrounged up 70 pounds today, so that ought to give us at least another 23 quarts toward the coming season. I don't recall having put up tomatoes so late in the season.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The chipmunks love Ms Vilas' Romas.

do they eat a good fraction of the tomatoes or do they take a couple of bites and then go on to another one?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:05 pm

gozer wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:The chipmunks love Ms Vilas' Romas.

do they eat a good fraction of the tomatoes or do they take a couple of bites and then go on to another one?
The latter seems to be the case, in my experience. But they don't seem to want to risk going in the garden very often, unlike the squirrels. I have no idea what the squirrels are looking for. They usually leave without doing damage.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:06 pm

They eat just enough to spoil them.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”