Tomato season is here

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
HotPepper

Re: Tomato season is here

Postby HotPepper » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:27 pm

fennel wrote:
HotPepper wrote:Oh man. I would love LOVE L-O-V-E to be able to grow fresh garden tomatoes. Alas the skills to grow them I do not have in any way, shape, or form.
Well, you *can* grow your own if you have a little bit of garden space. It's not library science, after all. If you have a bit of dirt, a bit of patience, and the willingness to ask questions, you're going to have fun. There are also vertical, suspended systems for potted tomatoes which take up very little space.

I have a balcony garden and successfully grow a variety of fresh herbs and many kinds of hot and sweet peppers. My balcony is a Southern exposure. I have tried container gardening for several kinds of tomatoes. I can't get enough tomatoes to ripen to justify the initial cost and caring for them all summer. They either get blossom rot or some nasty large worms which were more than enough to put me off from trying again. YUK. My balcony is not that big so I choose to grow what I'm best at. At one time I was in an apartment outside Madison that had a real garden plot. I did well with the large heirlooms. It's the container part for tomatoes that I fail at. Thank you Dane County Farmers Markets AND all my co-workers bringing in all their extra garden goodies.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:45 pm

That's interesting to hear. We have garden space, but we often augment that with various containers for varieties (usually more compact ones) we want to try out. Over the years, they've tended to surge then wane. So, apart from herbs, we haven't had much success in that realm.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:09 pm

I as usual planted too late. Plus rabbit, CHiPs, squirrels, leprechauns came through at the start and ate a lot of stuff while still vegetating. My watermelons, for the first time ever, survive. They are the size of golf balls. I have what appear to be a few plum tomatoes laying parallel to the earth. Almost ripe.

My latest ROI analysis indicated I should just buy whatever vegetable I need from the local stand on the side of the road. Unfortunately, my go to place seems to have cut back their hours and I am fearful they may become a thing of the past. I am not sure how far I would drive for a good tomato. Maybe a once a summer BLT thing,

Mad Howler wrote:2) a bumper crop fresh soybean for edamame

I wanted to plant these, but I could not find any seeds/plants local. Did you buy seeds online? Any strains better than others? Is the stuff the farmers plant like a "feed" soybean versus a "sweet"? Growing tips?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:26 pm

ROI is a kind of polite fiction. It inevitably involves jazz-hands calculations that help adults feel responsible. When it comes to growing real tomatoes, it's no more than a tame-eyed fantasy.

Make tomatoes happen! Give away what you can't eat!

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:46 pm

fennel wrote:That's interesting to hear. We have garden space, but we often augment that with various containers for varieties (usually more compact ones) we want to try out. Over the years, they've tended to surge then wane. So, apart from herbs, we haven't had much success in that realm.

For me this year the peppers that are doing best are the Super Chili's (they look like ornamental Serrano peppers--very hot and very prolific), sweet banana peppers, cayenne peppers, with mixed results for the Biker Billy Burpee hybrid jalapeno's. Started those from seed but only 2 plants have begun to fruit in August. The strange thing is I purchased the cayenne plants as starters. One plant is producing normal size peppers. The other cayenne plant is producing these huge extra large peppers. I am disappointed that most of the other sweet peppers I tried to grow produced a lot of leafage but teeny fruit if any. I'm thinking the fertilized soil I used may be the wrong chemistry.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:31 pm

john_titor wrote:

I wanted to plant these, but I could not find any seeds/plants local. Did you buy seeds online? Any strains better than others? Is the stuff the farmers plant like a "feed" soybean versus a "sweet"? Growing tips?

I got mine from Kitazawa Seed Co. in California. They carry nine varieties of soybean--I got the ones that mature the fastest, because Wisconsin.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:07 pm

First year that we have lost so many tomatoes to critters. We are limited by the amount of flat sunny area we have in our back yard. (not much) Jalapenos and banana peppers are going nuts though...

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:12 am

HotPepper wrote:
I am disappointed that most of the other sweet peppers I tried to grow produced a lot of leafage but teeny fruit if any. I'm thinking the fertilized soil I used may be the wrong chemistry.

You could be right. Too much nitrogen (I think it's the nitrogen anyway) makes plants produce more leaves, which you want for crops like lettuce more than peppers.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:25 pm

Last night it was spicy salmon salad on Cress Spring's Expedition bread with properly obscene slabs of tomato. Aaaam-dah!

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:59 am

john_titor wrote:

A) I think we got our seeds from SeedSaversExchange (purchased at WS Coop or Barnes) - we have also bought them online from Johnny's & at Jung. We have been disappointment year to year w/ regard to germination regardless of vendor.

B) Vendors that sell into home gardening markets generally sell the varietals that are useful for edamame. A fun place to visit in the fall & learn about this vegatable crop (and many others) is the westside ag research station. <--Please check the place & event I linked to there.

C) We waited to start ours this year till mid June, until soil temp was consistently above 70 deg F. In reference to your earlier irritation - you will likely need to put a fence around them to keep varmints away.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:13 am

fennel wrote:Last night it was spicy salmon salad on Cress Spring's Expedition bread with properly obscene slabs of tomato. Aaaam-dah!

Now you are just taunting!
Sounds awesome ;)

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:34 pm

If you are really into tomatoes you need to go to Seed Savers Exchange in Decorah, IA for the tomato tasting event.

http://www.seedsavers.org/

It looks like it is this weekend so sorry about the short notice. We went maybe 2 years ago and they had over 100 different types of tomatoes to try.

The tomatoes were tiny, small, large, black, yellow, orange and red. It was fantastic to see and taste all the different varieties.

The year we went they also had a salsa tasting event using different tomatoes and recipes for the salsa. Yum!!!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:45 pm

So this has been a rather dreary year, tomato-wise. We haven't gotten enough from the garden for any canning, and the market and pick-your-own options don't seem to have much to offer. I hope the predicted warm spell will help the current crop turn the corner, else there'll be no stock of tomatoes come January.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:00 pm

fennel wrote:So this has been a rather dreary year, tomato-wise. We haven't gotten enough from the garden for any canning, and the market and pick-your-own options don't seem to have much to offer. I hope the predicted warm spell will help the current crop turn the corner, else there'll be no stock of tomatoes come January.

Weird - we canned a dozen quarts of sauce and froze 3 large ziplocs full of whole tomatoes. 8 plants, which I didn't do a whole lot of maintenance on either. Still have about 40 sitting on the counter that I need to do something with.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:17 pm

So sad - no tomato plants this year in my garden. Luckily there are plenty of farm markets.
We haven't had more than 0.02 inches of rain this month. July had 1/2 the normal amount of rainfall. We had more than enough rain this spring and early summer. I wonder if all the fires to the north and west and hurricanes to the south are messing with our weather.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”