Quaker Steak & Lube coming to State St.

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Quaker Steak & Lube coming to State St.

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:23 pm

To the Pizzeria Uno space on Gorham, to be precise.

http://www.dailycardinal.com/news/alrc- ... -1.1164324

They should do a version of "Bike Night" there, but for bicycles instead of motorcycles.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Quaker Steak & Lube coming to State St.

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:26 pm

They should do a version of "Bike Night" there, but for bicycles instead of motorcycles.

If it'll bring people in they certainly would do it. Bike Night in the spring/summer/fall probably keeps that place a float. I've played a couple. It was fun. I'd do it again. They can get downtown=y bands, cyclists, cycle shops involved it might be pretty cool. It won't however make up for their wings which are depressingly not "Best Wings USA" as they would have you believe.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Blergh. Did Uno go under without me noticing?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:16 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Blergh. Did Uno go under without me noticing?

I haven't been to to that place in probably 15 years and I'm on State Street almost every day. That place was over priced and kind of sucked. I really don't want a quake and lube there, but with all the other good restaurants opening up, I say fuck it. How long did fudruckers last?

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:02 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Blergh. Did Uno go under without me noticing?

Landlord raised the rents, Uno's was not willing to pay it, Quaker Steak and Lube (stupidest name ever) was.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:17 am

I see where the haters are coming from on this thread but was Uno's really some Madison cultural landmark? Last I knew it was a much much bigger chain than the Lube. Hate on their food if you want. It deserves it. Hate on the Westside location and hate on bike night. A lot of people enjoy themselves there. I'm just saying anyone looking for an event like Jason jokingly suggested will find the ownership fair and reasonable and open to your ideas. They really aren't so bad as a company.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 am

The food is awful. Same goes for that buffalo wild wings joint near supertarget. You know what new chain-y type place has surprisingly good food? Sprechers.

babelfish

Postby babelfish » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:21 pm

depinmad wrote:The food is awful. Same goes for that buffalo wild wings joint near supertarget. You know what new chain-y type place has surprisingly good food? Sprechers.

Could it be that you don't like wings? The other food on their menu could suck, but I would never know because when I go to these places I always get the wings. I like wings, so if you know of a place better the BWW to get them, please tell me.

Where is Sprechers?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

yeah i'm not huge into wings, but if they are really good i enjoy them. it's true, i usually do not order them.
sprechers is on john q hammons where houlihans used to be.

babelfish

Postby babelfish » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:32 pm

My wife doesn't like wings because they are messy, BWW does have the boneless wings which are decent. There is a sauce to fit almost anyone's taste. I guess I like wings more than others, because I love spicy food!

I will have to check out Sprecher's, my wife works at Greenway Station nearby.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:38 pm

I only stopped in to eat at Uno's a couple times, usually just for an order of cheese bread, but I always felt it had a comfortable low-key atmosphere.
I can only imagine what they'll do to the place. Making it bright and gaudy and full of Nascar junk. Yech!
Seems like an odd fit for downtown Madison. Prime location, strange choice.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 am

fisticuffs wrote:I see where the haters are coming from on this thread but was Uno's really some Madison cultural landmark? Last I knew it was a much much bigger chain than the Lube.

I'm kind of conflicted on this one myself. Yes, it's a chain, and it's pretty un-special (especially since they've downplayed the pizza and rebranded as "Uno Chicago Grill"); still it's weird to see it go when it's been there so long.

Whatever place Uno's has in the downtown consciousness, I'm guessing they earned through sheer longevity. I doubt there's another (non-fast-food) chain restaurant that's had a downtown Madison location for a quarter century. Local or not, that's a hell of a run.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:39 am

I lived in Chicago for a while in 1977 before Pizzaria Uno started to chain. We occasionally went down town to, not Uno but Due, because my Chicago friends had always told me that Due's pizza was better. From Due you could see the line of folks out Uno's door and there was usually not much of a wait at Due. Consequently, I never ate at Uno until they opened one in Janesville.

I had always liked the Due pizza and for the time the J'ville Uno was open I thought it was the best pizza in town. But in a city where Woodman's has a hundred linear feet worth of pizza in freezers they were too expensive for Janesville's (fairly well paid-but-with-cheap-tendencies) blue collar folks and they didn't last long.

Uno actually built a new structure for Janesville which is now occupied by a pretty good Chinese buffet.

Having worked in pizza restaurants for much of my adult life, I know that even a really good pizza doesn't cost that much to turn out. I can only imagine what commercial rents must be in Madison if Uno couldn't keep the Madison shop going. Good luck, I guess, to Quaker Steak. Their biker nights can be fun because if the live music and the big tappers are reasonably priced. Had a burger there once that was ok, too.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:02 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote:I lived in Chicago for a while in 1977 before Pizzaria Uno started to chain. We occasionally went down town to, not Uno but Due, because my Chicago friends had always told me that Due's pizza was better. From Due you could see the line of folks out Uno's door and there was usually not much of a wait at Due.

Having been to each once or twice, I didn't notice a significant difference in quality (but again, my visits constitute a very small sample size). But you nailed the real selling point of Due - it gets less crowding because the tourists favor the one with the nationally famous name.

One point on which I give credit to Uno's current ownership (which just filed for bankruptcy last month): Even as they pushed the chain's spotlight off of pizza, nearly erasing its distinction from T.G.I. Chilibees, they had the sense not to monkey around with the twin flagships in downtown Chicago, keeping their menu pretty much as pizza-centric as ever.

Full disclosure: For all this talk of Uno's pizza, I prefer to get my deep-dish on at Gino's East, and (lately) especially Lou Malnati's. But that's a topic for another thread.

CoffeeJones

Postby CoffeeJones » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:55 pm

depinmad wrote:The food is awful. Same goes for that buffalo wild wings joint near supertarget. You know what new chain-y type place has surprisingly good food? Sprechers.

Sprecher's isn't a chain, although it could easily become one. The one in Madison is the only one.

http://sprecherspub.com/

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”