What could you eat every day?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What could you eat every day?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 03, 2017 9:34 pm

david cohen wrote:BBQ. Everyday. Some smoky pork butt or shoulder or ribs...even some brisket done at 225F for 12 hours....and now, with my new Cook Shack smoker, I'm gonna be doing just that...you ain't never tasted BBQ until you've tasted what this Eastern North Carolina jewboy can throw down:) The ONLY thing I can imagine tastes better is if I smoke me some Uni;) Now That would be the best of both worlds!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:51 pm

fennel wrote:Just got a delivery of a pail-full of [cultivated] wild rice. I've really come to love it.

Usually, I'll try to stretch it by combining it with short-grain brown rice, but other times we'll have it straight. So damn satisfying!
Did I mention I love, love, love wild rice? We're about halfway through that pail, having it straight mostly. It makes a divine rice salad.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:59 pm

If there were no consequences, I could scarf on an assorted cheese plate every day. Sometimes with Potter's crackers, other times different flavors of Triscuits and Wheat Thins.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:04 pm

gargantua wrote:If there were no consequences, I could scarf on an assorted cheese plate every day. Sometimes with Potter's crackers, other times different flavors of Triscuits and Wheat Thins.
Cheese wants wine. Have you ever done a nice blue with a tawny port?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:39 pm

fennel wrote:
fennel wrote:Just got a delivery of a pail-full of [cultivated] wild rice. I've really come to love it.

Usually, I'll try to stretch it by combining it with short-grain brown rice, but other times we'll have it straight. So damn satisfying!
Did I mention I love, love, love wild rice? We're about halfway through that pail, having it straight mostly. It makes a divine rice salad.

I love wild rice too.

The Willy St Coop, of all places, occasionally has a wild rice salad I like. It's got pecans, dried cranberries, chopped green onions, and a light oil and vinegar dressing.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:48 pm

fennel wrote:
gargantua wrote:If there were no consequences, I could scarf on an assorted cheese plate every day. Sometimes with Potter's crackers, other times different flavors of Triscuits and Wheat Thins.
Cheese wants wine. Have you ever done a nice blue with a tawny port?

I have with a zin, but not a tawny port. Thanks for the tip.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 pm

I could eat kale every day ...

If my jaws were like a wood chipper!

I mean, kale has a really interesting sweet/bitter flavor that, in itself, is very satisfying. But it all depends on how you cook, cook, cook it. My beloved, who is a sensational cook, doesn't understand that kale served raw only works as a delaying stratagem. It's like spraying a culprit with a sticky glue to prevent escape. And what's left is a hell of a mess.

So if you're going to prepare kale, sports fans, do it up as a chiffonade, and then steam it for at least 8-10 minutes. 20 if you have guests. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a mere vegetable. It may be a food of the gods, but that god is an angry warrior.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:26 am

Frittata of the day: Market (shiitakes, baby summer squash), garden (rosemary, garlic, and cherry tomatoes), neighborhood eggs, Dreamfarm chèvre.

Daaamn!

Sadly, the sea salt was non-local.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:18 pm

The local sea is a bit of a disappointment when it comes to salt production. Maybe the Foxconn plant will fix that.
Heavy metals, no extra charge!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Tomato/wild-rice bisque made with garden tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, and basil. Finished with white wine and a little heavy cream. Served with chewy kamut croutons, lightly brushed with olive oil.

Easy-schmeazy, too!

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:46 pm

fennel wrote:heavy cream

An isotope of regular cream but with extra neutrons.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:49 pm

The temperature has dropped, so I'm back at roasting. Market potatoes and garden carrots, lightly dressed with a good 'merican olive oil, garden rosemary, whole cumin seeds, kosher salt, and red pepper flakes.

Beautiful when served warm, but also a treat served cool, with fresh tomato wedges and a drizzle of lemon juice.

What has become of Right Bower, by the way?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:07 pm

It depends. When North Korea detonates the EMP bomb over Kansas City, I'd eat just about anything that keeps me alive. I'm looking at you, bug.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Well, the temperature went back up, so I snagged some beautiful Napa cabbage from our CSA and made a sesame-ginger slaw with rice vinegar and minced cilantro. Steamed new potatoes on the side.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”