Instant Pot for Xmas

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Instant Pot for Xmas

Postby john_titor » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:57 pm

What do you like to use it for? All I can find online are spaghetti recipes and those deeply troubled by the phrase "InstaPot". What is the allure? One pot meal? Can I make KFC?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Instant Pot for Xmas

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Is instant pot to pot like instant coffee is to coffee? If so, I prefer the regular kind.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:25 pm

Mrs Cadfael got one. Ribs and meat loaf, stews, soups, oatmeal, and some other things I forget but I remember I liked. Oh, chicken and dumplings. Soup stock. Don't know about kfc but that sounds interesting and I'll ask. :-)

It's a smallish, programmable, pressure cooker/slow cooker. Very trendy. She was going to buy one used but for some reason everyone who wanted to sell theirs wanted a price so close to new that just the warranty made it a better deal.

She's been talking about a chocolate cake but that hasn't progressed beyond the hmmmm stage.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:34 am

I bought a 3 quart model a few months ago. It's great for hard boiled eggs. Cooked a 3 lb piece of beef in 20 minutes, it was nice and tender. Made chili in it last week, cook the beef, veg, and tomatoes first, add beans just to reheat them. Chicken stock in 20 minutes, yes, please. Haven't done rice or grain yet.

Be aware that the cooking time does not include the unit coming up to pressure or releasing pressure. That adds about 20 minutes to the cooking time. The use you get will depend on how often you use it, just like any other appliance. I have a clay pot cooker that I like but it's only used about once a year because I don't cook large cuts of meat very often.

I have half of a small turkey breast that's going in the pot today.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:11 pm

john_titor wrote:What is the allure?

Same as with any old pressure cooker: speed. Plus the convenience of being able to use it as a slow cooker.

We already had a slow-cooker and a pressure cooker when my husband bought an Instant Pot last year, but he was indifferent to the former and unaware of the latter. Fine with me if it means he cooks more often, which he does. Roasts, mostly.

I plan to use it soon to cook an old-school family favorite with the unfortunate name of Old Fashioned Boiled Dinner. It's really an elegant, savory pork stew. I renamed it in honor of my dear departed mom: Pork Stew à la Lala.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:34 pm

I have a Fagor pressure cooker, the instructions say you can pressure fry food in it, just like KFC. I haven't done it because it's cheaper to buy already fried chicken than to spend the time, oil, and clean up afterward.
BTW the Broaster Company which makes cookers and seasoning is located in Wisconsin. If you buy their equipment you must use their coating mixes but you then have the right to call your food Broasted (TM). I like broasted chicken but you don't find it in the Madison area. My go to fried chicken is Popeye's spicy. Hy Vee's fried chicken is OK as long as it hasn't been sitting too long, Westgate Hy Vee has a good turnover of fried chicken at lunch time.
You can't do fried chicken in an Instant Pot.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:43 pm

The idea of having a cooking device on the countertop is anathema to me, however well it may work. That's prep space, dadgummit!

We do have a toaster, but that gets used at least 5 days of the week — and it's small enough to easily drop-kick into a lower cupboard when we get busy prepping a meal.

I have read enough rapturous reviews of these insta-pots that I'm really curious, but I'm still not convinced they're more than a gimmick when used by people who already like to cook and have incorporated meal preparation into their daily routines.

Another consideration is that when you move from insta-pot brand X to insta-pot brand Q (or from one version of the same to another), how do you carry over learned techniques? I mean, is there some kind of recognized export standard that will let you transport Mom's Black-Eyed Peas with Squirrel Shank from one instance to the next? And how do you adjust the process when you expect to have six at your table, versus four, or two? No doubt the software can handle the variations, but that insta-pot has a fixed volume.

Analog Mom, on the other hand, always has an array of pots and heating devices to choose from.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:58 pm

I could totally see picking one up at a rummage sale for 20 bucks at some point. Not going to bother otherwise. We have certainly gone through our share of appliances and gadgets. Nothing has equaled the Pampered Chef Chopper (think a Slap Chop that is large and sturdy enough to be useful) and a boring old three setting crock pot.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:58 am

fennel wrote:The idea of having a cooking device on the countertop is anathema to me, however well it may work. That's prep space, dadgummit!

Why on earth would you keep it on the counter top? I like nearly bare counters, and we don't have much cabinet space, so we keep our 'Pot in a closet around the corner from the kitchen. No big deal, I'm used to off-kitchen storage. our Dutch oven, which I use often, lives in the basement entryway. Takes 90 seconds to haul it up when I want to make a pot of chili or soup.

The programming is beside the point, IMO. These programmable gadgets are a pressure cooker for people who don't know from pressure cookers (or are leery of them), and the versatility is great.

Switching brands or adjusting volume would be no trickier than doing the same with regular cookware.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:53 pm

An appliance that got counter space at my house was a Nu Wave oven. Yes, the one on the infomercials. I found one on the clearance rack at Target. It's great when you don't want to heat the big oven. Yes, it is as versatile as the ads say but I never made a turkey in it. Baked brie, jalapeno poppers, bacon, cookies, chicken, roast veg, pizza, casseroles, toasty sandwiches, garlic toast, burgers, steak, and it's the best for Tots or frozen French fries. I would buy another Nu Wave oven before I'd buy an air fryer.
The appliance that got the back of the base cabinet is the blender, it only gets used about 3x/yr. Maybe I should make more frozen margaritas, wonder if the $17 blender is up to the task. :lol:

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:26 am

Thanks for the tips! After a bit of experimentation, for me it is like a slow cooker that cooks in one hour. Not sure how much use it will have for me.
Isthmus had an article or two:
https://isthmus.com/food-drink/instant- ... stant-pot/

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:18 pm

I made gumbo tonight using leftover turkey and spicy smoked sausage, it was good. Didn't have a green pepper so dug in the fridge and found roasted red pepper. Too bad the expiration date was a long time ago, the peppers went in the disposal.
Rice was cooked conventionally.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:43 pm

By the oddest of coincidences, this came up in a search for something completely different.
The Instant Pot Will Not Solve All of Life’s Problems
Now we have Instant Pots. The device seems tailor-made to address the symptoms of a laundry list of modern problems. In addition to having tight schedules, Millennials distrust the packaged foods of their youth, and many of the time-saving gadgets of the past have fallen out of favor with them—even microwaves. But if the Instant Pot is a good compromise between being overburdened at work and wanting to cook with fresh ingredients, it’s still a compromise. It doesn’t address the fact that work has seeped into an ever-larger portion of Americans’ waking hours, taking time and energy away from the basic tasks of familial maintenance, or that a lot of people would rather have a little more time to take care of their families or a more helpful spouse instead of another gadget to do it for them.

I personally think the author has some issues of her own to work out but it's quite possible writing this article helped her with that.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:47 pm

john_titor wrote:Thanks for the tips! After a bit of experimentation, for me it is like a slow cooker that cooks in one hour.

So, it's a fast slow cooker?

I'm going to carry that one around in my back pocket for a long time.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Cadfael wrote:By the oddest of coincidences, this came up in a search for something completely different.
The Instant Pot Will Not Solve All of Life’s Problems
I personally think the author has some issues of her own to work out but it's quite possible writing this article helped her with that.

Wow you weren't kidding about that. My wife met me when I was a chef, so I am kind of it forever.

I still want to try pressure frying with oil. Instant Pot works for me, not the other way around.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”