Car To Table

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Car To Table

Postby john_titor » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:32 am

https://isthmus.com/food-drink/car-to-table

I have enjoyed the show and our host, Chef David Rodriguez. I appreciate getting the idea off the ground, continuing to produce content, lining up Chefs, and getting someone else to pay for it. Nice job!

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Car To Table

Postby Ned Flanders » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Appears to be a direct ripoff of Seinfeld's Riding in Cars with Comedians.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:53 pm

In that they both have a car in the footage and name, yes. In that JS is a no-talent, no funny-idea having/yeah I chuckled at your one joke 20 years ago, two-bit hack whose real reason for removing his rib was due to his steadfast belief no one could do it better than himself to himself, no.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:06 am

JS has always been a love em or hate em kinda comedian. Cars/Coffee has definitely inspired a few "let's just talk" kinda shows, including Letterman and Norm Macdonald, but they fall pretty short. Cars is edited much better to get rid of the dud moments.

I've always been a fan of JS but I can understand how his smugness on cars could rub people the wrong way. If I had made his money I'm sure I would be self-satisfied as hell and it would probably show.

As for Car To Table.....personally I have no interest in listening to cooks talking, but good for them for finding some success.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:10 pm

john_titor wrote:In that they both have a car in the footage and name, yes. In that JS is a no-talent, no funny-idea having/yeah I chuckled at your one joke 20 years ago, two-bit hack whose real reason for removing his rib was due to his steadfast belief no one could do it better than himself to himself, no.

I gather you haven't seen Comedian... and why would you, if you hate Seinfeld. It follows him in 2001-02 as he builds a new act from scratch, and damn, he works at it. You don't like him, fine, but "two-bit hack" is a lazy leap from "not my kind of comic."

Lately we've been watching Conan Without Borders. I'm not a big Conan fan, so it's hit or miss for me, but I found the Italy episode with Jordan Schlansky hi-fucking-larious.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Ducatista wrote:It follows him in 2001-02 as he builds a new act from scratch, and damn, he works at it.

It's almost a stealth documentary. You go in expecting a little witty banter between Seinfeld and his pals, and you end up with a really insightful look into the process and mechanics of stand-up comedy.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:12 pm

mrak wrote:It's almost a stealth documentary. You go in expecting a little witty banter between Seinfeld and his pals, and you end up with a really insightful look into the process and mechanics of stand-up comedy.

Yes! I love surprises like that.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:41 pm

Ducatista wrote:but "two-bit hack" is a lazy leap from "not my kind of comic."

I am lazy but not for this. He hasn't done shit in 30 years, but thinks he can tell today's youngins how to sell pudding pops.

Ducatista wrote:I gather you haven't seen Comedian... and why would you, if you hate Seinfeld.

I have seen and have whatever.

Ducatista wrote:Lately we've been watching Conan Without Borders

This was good. I like the take on the Travel show. Conan needs to hang with Tom Green and Sasha Baron Cohen to understand taking it to 11.

p.s. I love you.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:43 am

i was expecting cooking with the automobile maybe that is coming later . . .

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Sounds like a bad accident to me.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”