Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:53 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Donald » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:46 am

Shorty wrote:Some of us need to fill the void. I will start.

November has been so cold it proves global warming is a myth.
Trump is the best president since Nixon. He is protecting us from Iran, Mexico, N Korea, and Canada. USA! USA!
I hate taxes, regulations, nature, and the gubment. Buy more guns.

Yeah, it's just not the same. For one, you didn't BOLD anything.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 am

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Cadfael » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:08 pm

gargantua wrote:
Cadfael wrote:Indeed, that's what he said he was. But he wasn't.

I've had the experience of being told that I was not a liberal by a conservative who had a strawman idea of what a liberal is. After that experience, I err on the side of accepting people for who they believe they are. I can't be objective about conservatives anymore, because the term no longer seems to mean what it used to mean. I can tell a Trump supporter "you're not a conservative" and she'd scream bloody murder that she is so, but it's not a conservatism that anyone from as recently as 5 years ago can recognize.

I am not certain that he believes he's a moderate conservative but I accept the possibility and I retract the "But he wasn't" part. In fact I'll delete the post if you want.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11035
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Oh no need for that. You are absolutely entitled to not believe him. I don't know what to think.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 15752
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Ned Flanders » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm around. The irrational Trump hate gets boring after a while. Even Waggie had the good sense to dead himself.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 am

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Cadfael » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:08 pm

But you're not around. You're adick.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27814
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I The irrational Trump hate gets boring after a while.

Says the birther who compared Obama to a monkey.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:53 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Donald » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Who, in Wisconsin or anywhere, actually puts forth a conservative viewpoint? When you vote to provide a couple generations worth of welfare to Foxconn, you've ditched conservative values for something different. It's more like National Socialism than conservatism. Combine it with a war on unionism and a rigged election system, and you might as well call it Nazism.

I value fiscally conservative policy. We might disagree on what programs are worthy of cuts and which ones need more funding, but I don't like waste in anything. Where are the conservatives who are concerned about putting money toward useless border "wars" with defenseless refugees? That seems to be all the fake conservatives care about these days, unless it's cutting the money to Mueller investigation. Oh, there's always Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security to strip from we poor and elderly folks, while giving tax cuts to the mega-billionaires. How is that "conservative?"

Cap and trade was a great conservative idea. It worked in several areas, including reduction of ozone depleting chemicals and those emissions causing acid rain. It could work to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but conservatives abandoned their idea. Why?

Conservatism lost its way, and descended into racial politics and sucking off well-heeled special interests. Are there any conservatives anywhere anymore, or has Nazism taken over the right completely.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 am

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Cadfael » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:04 pm

The answer lies in the article I posted from Alternet a while ago. The conservative base has abandoned facts entirely. It's not a policy or an ideology any more. It's a cult.

the maxim to live by is that you can't reason someone out of a belief they didn't reason themselves into.

The people in power are afraid to cross those guys. In my own humble opinion, literally afraid. Because guns.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11035
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby gargantua » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:00 pm

Cadfael wrote:The answer lies in the article I posted from Alternet a while ago. The conservative base has abandoned facts entirely. It's not a policy or an ideology any more. It's a cult.

the maxim to live by is that you can't reason someone out of a belief they didn't reason themselves into.

The people in power are afraid to cross those guys. In my own humble opinion, literally afraid. Because guns.

I think the bigger fear is getting primaried. And do you know who I blame? The moderates in each party who just can't be bothered to go vote in a primary election. So the crazy fringe element gets to decide what our priorities are. Any real conservative has to placate them or be voted out of office. It's not the crazies' fault. If everybody voted, they wouldn't matter.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 am

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Cadfael » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:31 pm

gargantua wrote:I think the bigger fear is getting primaried.

I recognize that fear and agree that it might be bigger, especially at certain times of the year.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 15752
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I The irrational Trump hate gets boring after a while.

Says the birther who compared Obama to a monkey.

Case in point.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27814
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Are you admitting that your irrational hatred of Obama is boring? If so, why did you do it?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 15752
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:06 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Are you admitting that your irrational hatred of Obama is boring? If so, why did you do it?

I was bored?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11035
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Are you admitting that your irrational hatred of Obama is boring? If so, why did you do it?

I was bored?

"He was bored" was my guess. D'oh!

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5439
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Where are the conservatives that used to post?

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:14 am

I'm trying to give Henry and the lefty's someone to argue with in the Bishop thread. Are any of you others pitching in?


Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest