Rath puff piece

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Coplay

Rath puff piece

Postby Coplay » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:57 pm

It’s a shame the Jay Rath had a chance to write an informative piece on the F-35 issue. Instead what we got was a PR gold mine for the Air Force. Countless pics of smiling fly boys/girls, a list of what the plane can do.

However, no mention of the 1 trillion wasted on development. Or the following issues which can be found by simple research: The plane is vulnerable to cyber attacks. The F-35A gun consistently misses targets during testing. On April of this year, the pentagon suspended sales over corrosion issues. In March, Lockheed-Martin admitted that stealth issues contributed to half of F-35 issues. The plane was originally a one fighter kind of plane for all branches but now has become specialized for each branch causing parts acquisitions to soar.

In effect, the plane is a piece of junk. It’s not just about the noise. It’s about the complete waste of money. If Rath was assigned to cover the AF side of the story ok. But if he actually believes what he wrote then it’s just shameful.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rath puff piece

Postby Beaver » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Siting F-35A in Madison would be environmental racism
https://host.madison.com/ct/opinion/mai ... user-share

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 am

well you could, you know, go stand on the main runway in protest?

Coplay

Postby Coplay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 am

Presented with the truth, you would rather make a joke. So my reply is that I wouldn’t protest on the runway because it would interfere with flyovers at football games. Plus, big brains like you would be denied watching explosions as our military bombs the enemy of the month on Fox News.
Whatever, you go on with yourself. Keep paying taxes for junk.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:05 am

Coplay wrote:Whatever, you go on with yourself. Keep paying taxes for junk.

We don't really have much choice.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:35 pm

gargantua wrote:
Coplay wrote:Whatever, you go on with yourself. Keep paying taxes for junk.

We don't really have much choice.

The only reason we don't really have much choice is because so many people have been scared/conditioned into only voting for the TwoMajorParties. And since the TwoMajorParties pretty much agree when it comes to defense spending there isn't much choice when it comes to that.

If you want more choices then vote for different choices instead of voting for the same ol' same ol' in election-after-election-after-election...

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:14 pm

everybody who makes jokes and isn't against F35s at Truax MUST be Fox News viewers....and you wonder why no one takes the F35 opposition seriously.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm not in favor of building toys for war. Development of the F-35 has been a clusterfuck, and there are still glitches that have to be worked out if this plane is going to be effective. I can agree with most everything opponents say about the plane, and still be on the fence about housing the F-35 here.

What I don't agree with is that showing a picture of smiling pilots or a plane somehow makes a "puff piece" out of Rath's article. Pilots and support staff are part of our community, just as are the opponents of the project. I've seen a number of articles about concerns about noise and government waste of this project. I think the news media has provided pretty good balance, over time.

The fact that elected officials have jumped on the bandwagon does concern me, but is not at all different from when officials try to protect any large federal government presence, whether it is military or civilian. I expect if the VA or USGS Wildlife Lab in Madison was threatened with closure, there would be a similar response.

Coplay

Postby Coplay » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:52 am

No one takes opposition to the F-35 seriously because most Americans believe that the military is otherwise what it is. What is the military? The military is a sophisticated welfare system. It is a federally mandated money giveaway to defense contractors. When you strip away all the feel good PR, the military is about dealing death. The material produced for the military blows up, creates nothing and then is replaced again and again. Plus, there are 800 military bases in 80 counties worldwide. Some of which are like cities and others which are termed lily pads, small supply bases. For those of you who believe closing Truax would compromise the security of America you are fooling yourself.

What can be done? I agree not much. Americans like Cohen and our politicians are so far down the rabbit hole that they are never coming back.

deadguy
Forum Addict

Postby deadguy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:21 pm

maybe folks just love airplanes?

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm just not so dogmatic that I think ALL military hardware is EVIL. I guarantee you I hear these planes as much or more than you do.

Coplay

Postby Coplay » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Not many of you may know this but many people in the Commercial avenue area sold air rights to the Dane Co airport for the equivalent of $2500.00 close to 20 years ago. This payment goes solely to the originator of the deal. So if you complain about noise you will get a letter informing you of this deal. I admit, I was not informed when I bought my house. Having said this, I can tolerate the commercial flights.

It is the military flights that are wrong on so many levels. Morally and financially. Military flights are not the sound of “freedom.” They will not protect from terrorist attacks. They exist because no politician has the courage to say no. Hello Tammy Baldwin.

Cohen, I’m sorry if I’ve come off like a jerk. I just believe that this waste and the pr campaign to maintain it will ultimately mean the ruin for the next generation.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:20 pm

They just held a test of the F-35 against the A-10, the results of which remain closely guarded. The idea has been that the F-35 would replace the A-10, but I've read that the A-10 seems to be superior in some areas. I'm not enough of a defense person to know what the hell that might mean for the housing of the F-35 at Truax, but it probably would mean not as many would be needed if it can't fully replace the A-10.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Donald wrote:They just held a test of the F-35 against the A-10, the results of which remain closely guarded. The idea has been that the F-35 would replace the A-10, but I've read that the A-10 seems to be superior in some areas. I'm not enough of a defense person to know what the hell that might mean for the housing of the F-35 at Truax, but it probably would mean not as many would be needed if it can't fully replace the A-10.

They have different missions. The A-10 is a tank killer, designed back when we were afraid the Warsaw Pact would send tank divisions through the Fulda Gap in Germany. The A-10 was regarded as extremely good at what it did. One of the biggest problems with the F-35 is that its asked to do too many things. The defense contractors don't care. It's just an endless series of change orders, each adding to their profits.

Coplay

Postby Coplay » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:13 am

The F-35 has met standards but only because the standards were reduced.
It has been described as a flying Swiss Army knife. As was mentioned it is being asked to do too many things.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”