Longest threads

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Longest threads

Postby Shorty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Here are nine I found that are 50 pages or more. Am I missing any? Think of all the time some of you have spent on these, endlessly debating and discussing them. Didn't accomplish anything. People are still getting shot, planet is still getting warmer, GOP is still in charge, etc.

Pages
344 Wouldn't it be great if everybody had a gun?
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=58345&p=866833&hilit=everybody+had+a+gun#p866833

331 97% Scientist Consensus: global warming is man-made
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=57801&p=866469&hilit=global+warming#p866469

110 What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=54030&hilit=Nygren

103 Random Thoughts
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51100

103 The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54463

78 Today in voter suppression
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=52706

55 The Hillary Clinton for President Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60768

54 Watching Scotty Grow
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=51667

50 Observations on Trump Administration
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=64840

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Longest threads

Postby jman111 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Shorty wrote:Didn't accomplish anything.

But Shorty, on the other hand...

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Shorty wrote:Here are nine I found that are 50 pages or more. Am I missing any? Think of all the time some of you have spent on these, endlessly debating and discussing them. Didn't accomplish anything. People are still getting shot, planet is still getting warmer, GOP is still in charge, etc.

And each thread takes up one whole row in a topic listing. Oh, the humanity!

Your Shorty attention span may prevent you from getting anything out of those threads, but not all of us are similarly challenged.

You did miss a few...

75pp — House hunting

74pp — What I'm listening to

61pp — The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

...which I suppose prove your point. People are still looking at house listings, people are still listening to things, and Wags hasn't even made it through the Ls yet.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Give Beaver a break -- his short attention span is clearly due to prolonged exposure to fluoride, microwaves and GMO corn. It's scary out there!

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Ducatista wrote:. . . Wags hasn't even made it through the Ls yet.

Just finished Zep III mere moments ago!

Oh and Shorty, you do know what they say about the size of a man's thread, right?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 pm

I think it's entirely possible that having shorter threads on this forum will lead to many accomplished things, fewer people getting shot, a cooling earth, and the downfall of the GOP.

Let's give it a shot. What the hell. Nothing else has worked.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Yes, that sounds great! If only there were somebody who excelled at starting a zillion fucking threads about the same thing...

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:27 pm

I stopped talking about the weather, because it never changed anything.

People ask me, "pretty warm today, isn't it?" and I say "Shut up if you're not going to do anything about it."

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:30 pm

I was not aware the purpose of these topics was to change the course of history. I thought it was more like, well, having a discussion.

And I would rather have one or two interesting disussions than forty inane ones.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:55 pm

snoqueen wrote:I was not aware the purpose of these topics was to change the course of history. I thought it was more like, well, having a discussion.

And I would rather have one or two interesting disussions than forty inane ones.

I don't think we should rush into this. The best thing to do is continue this thread for thirty or forty pages, changing topics every fifth or six page, or discuss a dozen slightly different topics within it at the same time. That's how the best decisions are made.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:57 pm

well, the random thoughts thread gets everybody thinking quasi-random thoughts . . .

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Shorty wrote:Didn't accomplish anything

I'm guessing a majority of the houses featured in House Hunting have been sold. Some possibly to lurkers of the forum. However I have received no commission checks.

Beyond that, as the OP of 2 of the top 7 threads mentioned here I believe I speak with a certain amount of authority when I say that I have nothing else to add to this thread.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Ducatista wrote:Yes, that sounds great! If only there were somebody who excelled at starting a zillion fucking threads about the same thing...

Damn. You're right. We DID try it. Didn't work.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Let us not forget the time-honored threadjack. Reminds me that it's supposed to be cloudy and gloomy like this all weekend. Really pisses me off. Hopefully complaining about it here will change things, or it was all for nothing.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:55 pm

I would say that these super long threads are as bad as nine or ten threads per day on topics that are similar written by the same person. There's a certain amount of Trump-level ego and bullying involved in both that is off-putting. Who, after all, wants to go review a 50-page thread to see if someone already covered a point before one tries to make that point. Those long threads basically say "Fuck you" to everyone who doesn't spend their lifetime on the Forum.

I created a separate thread on the Trump campaign, called, I think, "The Trump for Fuhrer Thread." There was already one on "The Trump For President Thread." I just wanted to discuss that at one point in his campaign he was spewing out semi-Nazi talking points. Well, that thing turned into a much larger thread than I thought it would. It might have been better to just create separate threads on every fascistic thing that happened during that campaign, but maybe not.

I realize that this is like the argument taxonomists get into about whether a group of plants or animals should be a different species or just be considered a population of the same species. When do you create a new thread to discuss something less generalized than what is in the big thread? I guess I'm more of a splitter than a lumper, but I'm not cuckoo about splitting, like fflambeau.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”