An open letter (plea) to Fflambeau:

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
admin
Forum Addict

An open letter (plea) to Fflambeau:

Postby admin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Hey there.
Look what happens - we go away for a weekend and all hell breaks loose.

You post a crazy amount of new threads in which the only respondent is you, if even that. Those views of said threads that you point to so proudly? Probably bots that are too minor for us to filter out of view analytics.
You quote insanely long text from other sites which isn't allowed - we've looked the other way until now.
You include images from sites that don't allow hot linking so either you or we will have to go to those threads and clean that shit up. We're guessing it will be us.
We asked you nicely to tone it down (albeit, we gave low chances of actually being successful in that request).

And now you have started threads that, basically, taunt us?

So here it is:
This is not your personal blogosphere.
Nobody cares.
Shut up already.

Signed,
We The Weary Admin Collective

p.s. bdog - you ain't helping. Who's gonna have to go delete all those dot posts of yours?

admin
Forum Addict

Re: An open letter (plea) to Fflambeau:

Postby admin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks, bdog, for the quick . cleansing!

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:39 pm

A weekend? This has been going on most of the year, hasn't it? But thanks for saying something.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 pm

And if that flammy guy does any more bad things, admin will look at him quite sternly and continue asking him to stop.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:56 pm

admin wrote:You post a crazy amount of new threads in which the only respondent is you, if even that.

This.

Would it be possible to automatically delete any thread that had no responses (other than the OP) after say 24 hours?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:12 pm

DCB wrote:
admin wrote:You post a crazy amount of new threads in which the only respondent is you, if even that.

This.

Would it be possible to automatically delete any thread that had no responses (other than the OP) after say 24 hours?

Not through normal forum settings and tools. However it can be easily done via the posts database and a MySQL query. I have done similar on my forums often enough.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:43 am

Cadfael wrote:And if that flammy guy does any more bad things, admin will look at him quite sternly and continue asking him to stop.

Just every six months or so.

DCB wrote:

This.

Just Flam's posts, or anyone's? There are a lot of good threads by other people that take more than 24 hours for responses. And some good threads that never get responses, especially upcoming music ones.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:09 pm

I have been involved in various internet forums for about 25 years or so, dating back to the early days of newsgroups.

From ff's posts, we see that ff seems to take pride in everyone's anger. I mean, claiming that this forum is a bunch of hardcore Trump supporters, which should be destroyed.

I have seen this sort of behavior a number of times over the decades.

In un-moderated forums, the forum is always destroyed. Every time.

Moderated forums kick the miscreant out. What usually happens after that is the miscreant will try again under a different user name, and the moderators have to play a game of whack-a-mole for a while, until the miscreant gives up and decides to destroy another forum.

So there we have the choices.

This forum means a lot to a number of people, some of whom have been here over a decade in some form or another.

If ff is not banned, this forum will completely fall apart within a few months. I can already tell a serious drop-off in posts by the more casual users. Few new threads can get started on the current events section, since they get lost in the spam.

Or, ff can be banned.

This can either be ff's private spam fest, or it can be a viable forum. It can't be both.

I agree with giving ff another chance. People like ff rarely change their ways, but occasionally, very rarely, they do.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:02 pm

I've been doing internet discussions almost as long as you. What you say is correct: one person can indeed cause so many other people to leave that the forum collapses as a result. Firm, active moderation is the only remedy. The moderator gives itself the power to ban a participant for any reason or for no reason, without appeal. It's like bWis's metaphorical bar, and you can be kicked out at the discretion of management, no questions asked.

Sure, ff will come back. I think he's the revenant of a previous spam poster already. He hasn't changed his ways, he's gotten more and more intrusive. Repetitive moderation is the key. I agree 100% with paleo on this matter except for the part about giving a second (or third, or whatever) chance. This needs to be put to rest once and for all.

Moderators are have no responsibility to reply to anybody's email. It's a courtesy, not an obligation.

If this is too time consuming for admin, I fully understand. But you have the power to give your forum another chance, or let it go down the drain. I hardly post 1/3 as often as I used to, and I skip probably 90% of the topics these days.

Trying to figure out the psychology of the spam poster, though an enticing topic in itself, is a waste of time. This isn't a psychology class. If the person needs therapy, this isn't an appropriate place to get it.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:31 pm

So, what was the point of the first entry in this thread, anyway?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:06 pm

I'm not a mind reader, but I took it as giving someone one a last chance to change for the better. Seems to me that the offer was spurned, but it's not up to me, in spite of bdog's contention that I'm the reason Roy's still around. If I had that kind of power, we would have stopped hearing from the Forum destroyer long ago.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Is it possible to simply limit a poster to 2 or 3 new topics a day? I was once on a school board and we had to vote on a dress code for the middle and high school kiddies. We looked for ways to allow something while trying to curb the excess. Since Fflaumbeau acts like a middle schooler, he might need some regulation, rather than expulsion.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:46 pm

I think we need to handle this ourselves if we want to beat the odds. More than don't respond. Don't even look at any of it's posts. It lives for reaction. Just. Don't. Do. It. And Shorty/Beaver? Thanks for contributing to the death of the Forum, you stupid, fucking, idiot. You're sticking up for the person who's trying to kill it. Then who will appreciate your topic about naked bike rides and the like?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

leviticus: pumpkin fucker

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:01 pm

u would need to wipe out any of the spammer's sockpuppets, and since u can see i p addresses and so forth, i vote for wiping em all out at once, including deleting threads, like at the end of the godfather

remove the stone from my shoe!
Last edited by gozer on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:05 pm

gargantua wrote:I'm not a mind reader, but I took it as giving someone one a last chance to change for the better. Seems to me that the offer was spurned, but it's not up to me, in spite of bdog's contention that I'm the reason Roy's still around. If I had that kind of power, we would have stopped hearing from the Forum destroyer long ago.

I saw it as the admins admitting that they weren't going to ban anybody and couldn't we all just get along. If they were really handing out last chances, it seems to me they would have said so. Because administrators aren't supposed to be there to clean up after people, they're supposed to stop the messes from happening by removing the messmakers.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”