Insecure login says Firefox

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Insecure login says Firefox

Postby Madsci » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:04 pm

What's up with dat?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Insecure login says Firefox

Postby Roy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:57 pm

Click on the red square before the URL. It will tell you that the site doesn't supply identity information, and is not encrypted. You should be able to change your Firefox settings to get rid of the warning.

Can't say off hand what setting or where, as I use Pale Moon a Firefox spinoff.

Edit: Oops it is a gray circle with a lette 'i' in Firefox, red square in Pale Moon.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:41 am

anybody know of a reason that the site bogs down under firefox but not other browsers?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:47 am

gozer wrote:anybody know of a reason that the site bogs down under firefox but not other browsers?

Firefox is pretty famous for never deleting anything in its memory. No matter how much ram you got, Firefox wants it all and after it's been open a while, it's got it. Then it bogs down.

So in my own humble opinion the site bogs down not because it's much different, but because that's usually where you are when Firefox finally takes all the ram and starts using CPU memory.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 am

If you like Firefox download Pale Moon. It is Firefox without the memory problems and optimized for windows. I have used it for years and love it. Very fast too.

http://www.palemoon.org/

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm

i did some experiments on this windows 7 machine with 16 gigabytes of ram and i was appalled, especially watching the system with the various performance monitors. this is especially bad because i generally have all sorts of other windows like spreadsheets, word processors, editors and shell prompts and other programmes opened at the same time and with earlier browsers had gotten into the habit of opening all sorts of windows in the browser too . . . i even noticed bogging down on a multi-processor machine with a lot more memory . . . i am not noticing this so much with the unix versions of firefox or mozilla, at least so far . . .

pale moon is working much better, yes indeed . . .

are there any theories out there as to why this may be? bad programming methods, the languages and/or other tools used, other reasons?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 pm

I don't know, but rather suspect that it is because with pale moon they tear out all of the cross platform code and optimize it just for windows. However they do have optimized versions for MAC and Linux too.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Roy wrote:I don't know, but rather suspect that it is because with pale moon they tear out all of the cross platform code and optimize it just for windows

yet another type of software bloat . . .

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”