Worst of TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Worst of TDPF

Postby Ducatista » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Roy wrote:
Ducatista wrote:
DCB wrote:While our common vernacular includes such phrases "don't speak ill of the dead" (and the related "if you nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"), these sentiments appears nowhere in the source documents. These modernist flourishes were introduced by manners activists. An originalist reading of etiquette rules clearly demonstrates that there is no "waiting period" required before celebrating the death of horrible people.

You flatter me, Roy. (And I got to quote DCB's excellent post again. Double win.)

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:10 pm

Glad to make you feel good!

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Double win for me, too. I should take the rest of the day off.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:38 pm

It was the best of posts, it was the worst of posts...

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:16 am

Westsidegal wrote:After not checking this forum in months...

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:54 am

I just realized we have two "worst of " threads. That is literally the worst thing ever.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:11 pm

DCB wrote:I just realized we have two "worst of " threads. That is literally the worst thing ever.

Well, the TDPF is pretty shitty at this point. I think we can accommodate.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:32 am

Westsidegal wrote:Who is Ms. Althouse? Is she famous?

So bad at this-- it's like you're not even trying.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:03 am

Ned Flanders wrote:First of all, Barry is half white, which everyone forgets because it's not "cool".

Heh. I almost posted in Best of because it's so awesomely awful.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:04 am

Ducatista wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:First of all, Barry is half white, which everyone forgets because it's not "cool".

Heh. I almost posted in Best of because it's so awesomely awful.

Good point. But I think you made the right call.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 am

Opening a new thread every time a new thought pops in his head:

search.php?author_id=23696&sr=posts

Based on other comments, I'm pretty sure its not just my must-categorize-everything OCD that finds this annoying.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Trying to censor other posters:
DCB wrote:shut up! just shut up!

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:32 am

DCB wrote:Have you ever thought of just getting your own blog, like on Tumblr?
He really ought to get his own blog, don't you think?
I think fflambeau should get his own blog.
Maybe you could get your own blog and explain it all there.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:46 am

Opening a new thread every time a new thought pops in his head:

i think the main objection in most cases is actually posting every *trump* thread which can be shoe-horned in here . . . and maybe just about it; any agent provocateur case is mighty hard to make, i must admit . . .

maybe someone could start a new thread for every gun and public safety thought and we can see what that does to the board statistically . . .

i am guessing that our short, ffishy torch bearer has thoughts crossing his/her head about music local and otherwise, restaurants, cooking, television and radio, state & local affairs, and books and so on, almost certainly worthwhile and quite possibly uncommon & unique in cases too . . . i am not sure exactly who is whom but there may very well be pure decent intention in there somewhere; there is a strong case for always making that the default assumption about anything, and everybody, caeteris paribus . . .

. . . buuut . . .

when gaming the system* or something worse first looked more than 99 44/100 per cent likely to me, i asked for opinions on it, because gaming the system by maximising thread counts by any means necessary, just like double-counting inaugural attendees and other such things on both sides, insults everyone's intelligence . . . . now, in this case i felt comfortable floating such a balloon because, well, i'm not the biggest fan of trump either and i was a sanders primary voter too; no trying to tune the circuits in the echo chamber or whatever . . .

it apparently doens't bother people all that much, and my own pique on the matter in question flew rather quickly too . . . and he/she makes it possible to organise one's trump reading rather than being obnoxious about it and doing things like calling a trump thread "spay & neuter?" and things like that . . . generally speaking, and perhaps goes further to do so than most readily realise . . .

---
* what truly irritates me is as follows, and maybe a voluntary moratorium on spreading the virus for a couple of weeks would have some interesting results in the debate (on i d p f ) i myself don't even start reading such articles anymore, which maybe is not a good idea, or maybe it makes no difference: the ultimate gaming of the system involves polling and pollsters, and pundits who cherry pick diseased polling data for some increasingly obscure objective . . . so now just about any mention of political polling done in the united states makes me roll my eyes and give the pundit and outlet some points on the list that leads to "all right, time to read/watch/listen to something else . . ."

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:46 am

penquin wrote:
DCB wrote:Have you ever thought of just getting your own blog, like on Tumblr?
He really ought to get his own blog, don't you think?
I think fflambeau should get his own blog.
Maybe you could get your own blog and explain it all there.

That's definitely me being a dick. I don't deny it. I might even feel bad about it, if I thought that ff ever read anything but his own posts.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”