Worst of TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Worst of TDPF

Postby kurt_w » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:26 am

Here's Sandi, channeling her inner gay-bashing bigot:
Sandi wrote:Do you know how many men you have serviced in the past year, or is it just a blur?

It's becoming a pattern ("Go suck a dick clown").

Meanwhile, here's Ned Flanders, channeling the white supremacists on StormFront:
Ned Flanders wrote:Obongo ... Obongo ... Obongo ... Obongo ...

Old-timers might remember that Isthmus used to take a hard line against this kind of thing:
jjoyce wrote:Here's what we haven't and won't put up with on this Forum: Blatantly offensive insults, including those classified as homophobic and racist. And I don't care if it didn't personally offend the object of the insult or not. From a practical point of view, garbage like that is far more off-putting to casual readers than the small percentage that actually posts.

Before the usual suspects get all huffy about "censorship!" -- no, I'm not suggesting that Sandi or Ned should be banned or that their posts should be edited or deleted.

But there needs to be some effort to assert the Forum's core values. If there are any core values. Otherwise, the bigots will just be emboldened, and more and more people will be turned off.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Worst of TDPF

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:29 am

Excellent point Kurt.
Locking in on *core values* is a thing that needs exploration.
We are funny animals & all.
Recognising & resolving this - is another issue of balance.
Resolution should not be the primary goal.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:00 am

kurt_w wrote:Here's Sandi, channeling her inner gay-bashing bigot

It is also, and more accurately called responding in kind.

Of course you do not realize that I am a transsexual, so, of course your ignorance comes as no surprises.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:29 am

Sandi wrote:
kurt_w wrote:Here's Sandi, channeling her inner gay-bashing bigot

It is also, and more accurately called responding in kind.

No, it's not "responding in kind". PW insulted you by suggested that you are stupid. You attempted to insult PW back by ... suggesting that he is a man who has sex with other men.

One could argue that all the insults that fly around here are unkind and inappropriate, and everyone should be nice all the time. Fine, whatever. But there's a big difference between calling someone stupid and using homophobic slurs to insult them.

If you don't understand that difference, you probably shouldn't be posting here. At least one foron was banned for crossing that line.

And, as Jason Joyce said in the quote at the end of the OP, it doesn't really matter whether the person you attempted to insult is offended or not. When blatantly racist or antisemitic or homophobic material is posted, it drives off other readers, regardless of whether the target is personally bothered by it.

Sandi wrote:Of course you do not realize that I am a transsexual, so, of course your ignorance comes as no surprises.

Thanks for sharing, but that's irrelevant.

Neade
Forum Addict

Postby Neade » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:08 am

Sandi wrote:Of course you do not realize that I am a transsexual

Having crusty poopy man hands doesn't qualify you as "transsexual".

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:15 am

From what little interaction that admin has had with us since Jason left, the Forum's values are pretty much policed by the participants. That hasn't worked all that badly IMHO. In this instance, kurt appropriately called Sandi out on the homophobic slurs. Hopefully she'll find different ways to insult us and that will be the end of it.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:38 pm

kurt_w wrote:If you don't understand that difference, you probably shouldn't be posting here. At least one foron was banned for crossing that line.

I quite agree. But that goes for almost all forons here, not just me. Also the reason for all the bickering and fighting that goes on here is precisely because TDPF does not moderate in any fashion what so ever.

Any forum (ANY) that doesn't moderate will devolve into what this forum has become.

Regards

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:30 am

Sandi wrote:Any forum (ANY) that doesn't moderate will devolve into what this forum has become.
Regards

What *exactly* has this forum devolved into?
What are you seeking for your efforts here?
Do you come from a frame of goodness or...

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:56 am

After a long weekend of sobbing and rosemaling, Kurt's feeling much better...

admin
Forum Addict

Postby admin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:39 pm

It seemed that self patrol by all y'all was the preferred foron method, actually.
If someone was not banned or posts not deleted, someone would complain.
If someone was banned or posts deleted, someone would complain.
So, we here at admin central make sure that you don't see any spam (except the self-inflicted stuff some bring here) and we investigate posts that are reported. Many of which we don't do a thing about. And that is about it.
I hope the self monitoring is okay, because we really don't want to be following you lot about second guessing every post you make.
Be adult-ish and all should be well.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:19 pm

Amen!

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:28 pm

admin wrote:I hope the self monitoring is okay, because we really don't want to be following you lot about second guessing every post you make.

That has to be the stupidest comment from an admin on any forum anywhere. What you are saying is that you prefer that the inmates run the asylum.

Pathetic.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Sandi wrote:
admin wrote:I hope the self monitoring is okay, because we really don't want to be following you lot about second guessing every post you make.

That has to be the stupidest comment from an admin on any forum anywhere. What you are saying is that you prefer that the inmates run the asylum.

Pathetic.

It's fine with me, but as you see, this is not unanimous. If you wanted to see what the inmates want, I suppose you could do a poll. Of course if you don't like the result, that could be an unwelcome can of worms. So, carry on.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:42 pm

ppfftt or whatever

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Sandi wrote:

Pathetic.

No one is forcing you to post here, Sandi. Besides, don't you have your own forum?

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”