Best of TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Best of TDPF

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:So is Professor Limprag gone for good? It's been so pleasant here for the last month or so.

Yeah, your lame and predictable posts really liven the place uhhhh.....sknnnx........

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:So is Professor Limprag gone for good? It's been so pleasant here for the last month or so.

Don't you have some white supremacists to hang out with or something.

Sorry, I'm not friends with too many old Democrats.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:41 pm

whatever u may think of said poster, it is not a good thing that a perverted net.terrorist with a very tenuous grasp on consensus reality and no real objective other than to make everyone angry, bully everyone, shit all over the threads, and to make pathetic efforts to pick up foronettes is apparently able to drive people away from the forum. the professor's final high-noise campaign on the i d p f may very well have something to do with the anti-trump resistance going into the fever swamps of political thought as opposed to said professor "losing it" -- trust me, one fewer critic of net.terrorism on i d p f is not a good thing . . .

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:46 am

gozer wrote:net.terrorist

I like it, but I don't think it's gonna catch on.

gozer wrote:with a very tenuous grasp on consensus reality

That's an act.

gozer wrote:and no real objective other than to make everyone angry, bully everyone, shit all over the threads, and to make pathetic efforts to pick up foronettes

That is true.
Okay I'm not sure about the foronettes thing but the other stuff is. Actually can I have a link to that? Just curious.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:48 am

i will attempt to find the whole thing* in moment here, but in the meantime i will add the proviso that it is well within anyone's human rights to try to be a pick-up artist, but i think one has hit diminishing returns to say the least if they lash out at bystanders, particularly when they have to make up shit and call the foronettes snooty and dumb and so forth when the overall project is not working . . .

for all i know, not bringing up the thread of which i was thinking right away on the search form could be the result of strategic post-editing of posts, or it could even be that maybe the powers that be are slightly expanding the list of what gets deleted . . . after all, the net.terrorist of which i am speaking appears, based on what myself and others have observed recently, to be skating and jumping up and down upon exceptionally thin ice, and if it does it may not be the first time it broke . . . so maybe wagstaff and others can come back sooner rather than later. two or three others who got fed up already have returned . . . disrepect for the collective will result in deactivation -- so jjoyceism perhaps isn't dead after all. . .

---
* it may not be a slam dunk; it may take a short while -- i certainly don't keep a spreadsheet or other archive of a bunch of peoples' posts as some apparently do

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:28 pm

i should also point out that whilst it may irritate some folks for whatever reason, the alternative to ned flanders, cornelius gotchberg, roy, and a few others apt to post less often is i d p f turning into an echo chamber, and as many no doubt know, there are centre-left and similar posters with debate styles which leave a lot to be desired . . . the big three's ideologies aren't really even the same . . . big three per the above sentence -- if any centre-right poster felt unfairly forgotten i can surely go back and add them . . .

a worthwhile project may be for forons to help find a right-wing near-echo chamber site, preferably local/regional, and then a bunch of us could show up and try riling up some of the dimmer posters and poking holes in the arguments of the smarter ones . . . .

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:56 pm

gozer wrote:a worthwhile project may be for forons to help find a right-wing near-echo chamber site, preferably local/regional, and then a bunch of us could show up and try riling up some of the dimmer posters and poking holes in the arguments of the smarter ones . . . .

One would need the same mindset as the neds and the crotches to do that. I've tried it and found it quite distasteful. It takes a lot of energy and needs to be pretty constant.

And echo chambers have a purpose. That's where you discuss tactics and nuances, and identify threats. As long as you don't live in one constantly, it's good to have a safe place where you can hang out with like minded people and process all the crap you've been forced to deal with all day long.

This is emphasized by the number of trolls we're dealing with now. They know that plans get formed, ideas are disseminated, and resistance is encouraged in echo chambers. It is advantageous to their agenda to disable them.

So they do.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:09 pm

And echo chambers have a purpose. That's where you discuss tactics and nuances, and identify threats. As long as you don't live in one constantly, it's good to have a safe place where you can hang out with like minded people and deal with the crap you've been forced to deal with all day long.

but a forum on a site for an ostensibly general-purpose community newspaper with rather wide and apparently increasing readership, one which does make quite an effort to be fair & balanced? it would be nice if the various county democratic parties installed software of this type on their sites to serve the purpose u mention, as well as the greens, unions, lgbt+ civil rights, black lives matter &c, then connect them together in a web ring of sorts, maybe have a subcategory on each for weekly digests of the other sites . . .

one could say that it also has an early-warning function in some cases . . . i think i saw my first bathroom demagoguery post on here a good 9-15 months before it became a common issue on media and in legislatures . . .

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:02 pm

I do miss the effeminate, high-strung, whiny Limpie. But not the post-election unhinged, braying lunatic.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I do miss the effeminate, high-strung, whiny Limpie. But not the post-election unhinged, braying lunatic.

I can understand that. If I was a shithead white supremacist and someone kept calling me on it, I would probably get annoyed too.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Cadfael wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I do miss the effeminate, high-strung, whiny Limpie. But not the post-election unhinged, braying lunatic.

I can understand that. If I was a shithead white supremacist and someone kept calling me on it, I would probably get annoyed too.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:44 pm

How is this best of tdpf? Seems like worst of tdpf.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Beaver wrote:How is this best of tdpf? Seems like worst of tdpf.

The best part is that Limpie's gone. Some of his comrades are a bit, um, upset by that.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Beaver wrote:How is this best of tdpf? Seems like worst of tdpf.

Either that or Fight Club.

Beat you to it, Bwis!

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:50 am

u know, i d p f already has hall monitors -- they draw a paycheque for it, have found an effective happy medium, and i would guess work on pinckney street -- above and beyond that, the other/s can bob up and bite my arse . . .

and why is the complaining always in the name of less information, less sharing, less inclusiveness, less participation? and don't tell me it's "netiquette" -- near as i can tell that was something arbitrarily promulgated by an inaccessible unelected star chamber of rich-ish anglo-saxon caucasian male technical types with demonstrated control issues a few decades ago, and anyone swallowing it whole doesn't have any critical thinking skills of which to speak, so it has always been a bit of a third-world-solidarity/social justice/information-wants-to-be-free issue with me . . .

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”