Re: Star Liquor RIP

Postby Beard » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:23 pm

^^

Awesome. Thanks.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:40 am

Goober McTuber wrote:The coop was a big factor. Someone at Star told me that one of the biggest hits was losing the coop employee business. When the coop started talking about getting a liquor license, I heard that not only was the neighborhood opposed, but so was a significant portion of their membership. I no longer shop at the coop for this very reason.

Is it too late to dig out that coop membership?

Anderson said financial pressure from Festival Foods on East Washington Avenue and new wine and beer sales at the Willy Street Co-op was “negligible.”

“Competition can cause you to make a little less money, but the co-op had little impact,” he said. “The store wasn’t well managed. Star didn’t close because of competition. There were plenty of customers, plenty of sales. The lack of Jerry is what caused its demise. He was not in the business at all for the last two years.”

I'm pretty shocked that a random comment from an employee wasn't true. It's as if it was a rumor or something like that.

The reaction I've been seeing to it's closing is as if someone's best friend died. It's a liquor store. #Priorities.

I'm sure I'll get crapped on for that last comment, but so be it.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:19 am

Stebben84 wrote:I'm pretty shocked that a random comment from an employee wasn't true. It's as if it was a rumor or something like that

What Stebben said. And add in some changing demographics in the neighborhood.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 am

I still have my coop membership, I just don't use it. Star wasn't the only local business affected by the coop.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/east-side-retailers-irked-that-willy-street-co-op-s/article_36ef8074-16fd-5205-a0bf-77da65dcae49.html

I am Jack's PO Box

Postby I am Jack's PO Box » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm

I didn't buy the co-op argument at the time, and I'm glad to hear someone involved with Star putting that story to bed. Like someone else on this thread mentioned, the co-op beer selection is pretty thin. The few times I was at the co-op and wanted a sixer, I'd still go to Star. Their selection was just so much bigger, and once parked in the co-op lot, it only took an extra 5 minutes to walk there and back.

I'm not sure "we miss this store" qualifies as a business plan, but if new owners can make it work, I'd be happy to continue shopping at Star.

Also, the co-op may be member owned, but it is still a business with costs and employee payroll and whatnot. If they can't make bank because they are trying to be neighborly, isn't that worse for the neighborhood overall?

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:24 am

I am Jack's PO Box wrote:I didn't buy the co-op argument at the time, and I'm glad to hear someone involved with Star putting that story to bed.

Sounds like the someone putting that argument to bed was a friend of the absentee owner, who didn't currently work in the store, and who in the process appeared to be throwing Adam under the bus. Not suggesting that the coop single-handedly killed Star Liquor, but Star had gone out of their way to orchestrate wine and food pairings with the coop in the past. I've never checked out the coop's alcohol selection, but I'll accept everyone's contention that it's miniscule. Interesting, since they expected it to generate $400,000 to $600,000 in sales per year.

In a business plan submitted to the city for an alcohol license at its flagship store at 1221 Williamson St., the grocery co-op says sales at the store are "stagnant if not slightly declining" and that the addition of beer, wine and hard cider could increase sales at the store by $400,000 to $600,000 a year.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:54 am

Goober McTuber wrote:
In a business plan submitted to the city for an alcohol license at its flagship store at 1221 Williamson St., the grocery co-op says sales at the store are "stagnant if not slightly declining" and that the addition of beer, wine and hard cider could increase sales at the store by $400,000 to $600,000 a year.

500,000 / 365 = 1369.86
Thirteen hundred dollars a day? How much is a bottle of wine? I never priced it. There are weeks when I'm in the coop at lunchtime several times and I've never noticed anyone buying liquor. Maybe it's an after work thing.

Also, that sounds like a lot of money that would have gone to a nearby business.

I am Jack's PO Box

Postby I am Jack's PO Box » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:Sounds like the someone putting that argument to bed was a friend of the absentee owner, who didn't currently work in the store, and who in the process appeared to be throwing Adam under the bus. Not suggesting that the coop single-handedly killed Star Liquor, but Star had gone out of their way to orchestrate wine and food pairings with the coop in the past. I've never checked out the coop's alcohol selection, but I'll accept everyone's contention that it's miniscule. Interesting, since they expected it to generate $400,000 to $600,000 in sales per year.

I'm not a business guy, but I'd guess that part of that $400,000 is meant to come from actual alcohol sales and part is from other grocery stuff people buy when stopping for booze. Selling beer and wine means that someone heading home from work who wants a bottle of wine and fixings for dinner can choose the co-op for their one stop shopping instead of going to Festival instead. There's a reason gas stations sell milk and bread, and I think that's the same reason the co-op is selling beer and wine.

The co-op's selection is minuscule, and Star always had a bigger selection. I like choices more than convenience, so I would still go over to Star. Other people like convenience more than selection. Ironically, now that Star closed, I'm more inclined to go to the west side co-op or to a different grocery store precisely because the east side co-op doesn't have much selection.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”