Dry January

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Dry January

Postby Ducatista » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:15 pm

Anybody ever done this? Or heard of it?

I decided to try it this year after hearing this story on NPR: The Benefits of a Dry January. I didn't start till Jan 8, so I've got week to go to complete my month.

I'm doing it because Antigua is only two months away and I plan to be in swimsuit-all-day shape by then. I've known people who've done it in past years — mostly service industry types giving their livers a break. It always sounded a little like admitting you have a problem, which kinda creeped me out, but the NPR story put a more appealing spin on it.

The report from 3 weeks in: great! MUCH easier than I expected, given that I've been drinking one or two glasses of wine a night for years.

The NPR piece says many people find their alcohol consumption is lower even 6 months after their dry month, and that makes sense to me. Now that I'm out of the daily wine habit, I see no reason to jump back into it — in fact, I'll keep the dry (mostly) groove going right up till our departure date.

My favorite quote from the doctor interviewed in the piece: "You know, alcohol is toxic. If it was invented in 2018, it would not pass the FDA to be on the market. So it's toxic. But, of course, it is an essential evil."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dry January

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:22 pm

I'd heard of this too. I'm not a daily drinker, but I'd be challenged by a month, especially in the absence of a direct threat to my health.
I've been to Antigua. Loved it.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 pm

It's seriously SO much easier than I thought it would be. I've had special-occasion beers twice in 3 weeks, and that hasn't derailed things (and I didn't expect it to, given that the doc in the piece isn't 100% strict about his month).

Yeah, Antigua turned out to be everything we were hoping for in a Caribbean isle. This is trip #2 for us, and I expect we'll keep going back. We stay at a small resort of cottages perched on a low headland between gorgeous beaches. It's straight-up tropical loveliness.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm drinking a lovely 2011 Nicora.

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Is that month enough to wash out any kind of tolerance to alcohol which can develop?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Ducatista wrote:It's seriously SO much easier than I thought it would be. I've had special-occasion beers twice in 3 weeks, and that hasn't derailed things (and I didn't expect it to, given that the doc in the piece isn't 100% strict about his month).

Yeah, Antigua turned out to be everything we were hoping for in a Caribbean isle. This is trip #2 for us, and I expect we'll keep going back. We stay at a small resort of cottages perched on a low headland between gorgeous beaches. It's straight-up tropical loveliness.

If I ever won the lottery, I'd stay at Jumby Bay. You strike me as a Galley Bay sort of person (not a slam, I'm considering it for 2019). But Antigua has a number of other sweet resorts. Take a side trip to Barbuda if you can fit it in.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Wasn't Barbuda totally wiped out by Hurricane Irma?

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Wasn't Barbuda totally wiped out by Hurricane Irma?

That is precisely what I have heard. The entire human population and all or most of the animals up and left or had a worse fate. I wonder what wind speed and rainfall combination would be requisite for literally wiping the island clean like an Etch-A-Sketch, that is blowing away everything including stripping off the soil down to the bedrock.

There is also speculation that Barbuda will remain uninhabited and uninhabitable for as long as 100 years. If a quicker timeline emerges, I suppose libertarians will try to find it to be an example of society and country without central government, very little local government, and different socioeconomic class structures. A number of reports about Somalia from the Cato Institute in 1990-2010 period say just that. That would be too much of uncertainty and openings for citizens to abuse each other for my tastes.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:07 pm

gargantua wrote:If I ever won the lottery, I'd stay at Jumby Bay. You strike me as a Galley Bay sort of person (not a slam, I'm considering it for 2019).

Smaller and more rustic for us: Cocobay, a collection of cottages strung along hilly paths on the headland at the south end of Valley Church Bay. It borders Little Ffryes Beach, and is just a 2-minute walk from Big Ffryes, powder-sand perfection with a great view of Montserrat. (Bonus: Dennis Restaurant next to the beach is a great lunch spot for jerk chicken or curry goat.) Valley Church Beach is an easy-ish swim or paddle board away... you could probably even walk there along the water's edge.

Highly recommended if you don't need a TV or phone in your cottage, don't want "resort activities," and don't mind little birds sneaking in through the open-lattice bathroom wall to steal sugar packets from the coffee service. Also if you hate tile-floored hotel rooms, which it turns out I do. Cocobay: ebony-laquered wood, 10 billion times cozier.

And yeah, Barbuda was annihilated. We talked to a couple people we know at Cocobay, and they stayed open through Irma. What a difference 40 miles makes.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:31 pm

Sounds idyllic. We don't have a TV in the room at the resort we frequent in Jamaica. We never even give it a thought while we're there.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Trump is a non-drinker. We should all try being more like him, and not a guzzler like this guy:

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:55 pm

gargantua wrote:Sounds idyllic. We don't have a TV in the room at the resort we frequent in Jamaica. We never even give it a thought while we're there.

Care to divulge the resort?

We've looked at a few places in Negril (Rockhouse, the Caves, and Catcha Falling Star—godawful name, but it looks like a fun place for the price) and at the Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios.

But there's something so romantic about Antigua, that tiny island way out in the eastern Caribbean. That and the Cocobay idyll pulled us back.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Ducatista wrote:
gargantua wrote:Sounds idyllic. We don't have a TV in the room at the resort we frequent in Jamaica. We never even give it a thought while we're there.

Care to divulge the resort?

We've looked at a few places in Negril (Rockhouse, the Caves, and Catcha Falling Star—godawful name, but it looks like a fun place for the price) and at the Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios.

But there's something so romantic about Antigua, that tiny island way out in the eastern Caribbean. That and the Cocobay idyll pulled us back.

Couples Swept Away.
We got to see Rockhouse because its bar is one of the stops on the One Love Pub Crawl. Looks like a cool place to stay.
You'll want to go on the Pub Crawl if you make it to Negril. A bus picks you up, and takes you to 7 or 8 local bars that are somewhat off the beaten path. You can imagine what the bus ride back to the hotel is like. The cost? However much you choose to tip Lenbert when he drops you off.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:14 pm

npler wrote:There is also speculation that Barbuda will remain uninhabited and uninhabitable for as long as 100 years.

Probably not, no. There is, however, a bit of a debate about how to rebuild. The cost is estimated at $100,000 per resident and at that price people have very different ideas about what the outcome should look like...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/hurr ... -to-an-end

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm

gargantua wrote:You'll want to go on the Pub Crawl if you make it to Negril.

Yes we will!

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”