Total Wine

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Total Wine

Postby jman111 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 am

Goober McTuber wrote:I got that flyer too. Not convinced that Woodman's isn't cheaper on a lot of stuff.
Yep, we did too and I thought the same thing. Their prices in the flyer for items with which I'm familiar were definitely higher than Woodman's.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:13 am

I flipped through the mailed flyer yesterday and was unimpressed, nothing that I couldn’t get for the same price or less at pretty much any grocery store.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Made it out to Total Wine today. A huge space with lots of employees on the floor to help direct customers. Large selection of craft beers, including some not available at Woodman's. Prices sometimes better, sometimes worse. I checked out the 1.75 L bottle of Don Julio Añejo. Twenty buck more than at Woody's.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Made it out to Total Wine today. ... I checked out the 1.75 L bottle of Don Julio Añejo. Twenty buck more than at Woody's.

Guess it won't be you go to place for tequila.

shyguy
Forum Addict

Postby shyguy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 pm

I've got mixed views of Total Wine. Have only been to them in Arizona and Texas, so there may be some differences here.

I agree with those who say Woodman's seems a little cheaper on some of the wines I buy regularly. I admit to usually spending no more than $10/bottle most of the time - special occasions will spend more. So, for that price range, Woodman's seems at least competitive if not better. But TW has a very nice selection, plenty of stuff Woody's doesn't carry. So, you know, it's a nice place to do some exploring and picking up something new and different. But not necessarily a big savings over Woody's for your favorite stuff at least in the lower price range.

On spirits, I've found lots of new and different stuff at TW, I'm mostly into gin and bourbon, at "reasonable" prices, and have purchased. Again, this is in the southwest, so it just may be that what I've found "new and different" won't be found in Madison. But I would say they have some decent prices on spirits. Brought back many gins and bourbons from both AZ and TX that can't be found here.

Can't speak much to beer, I'm not that much into craft, so just can't speak to pricing. Selection looks pretty damn decent.

An anecdote. Was in Austin TX recently, and shopped at TW for "Texas bourbon". One of the staff asked me if he could help, and I told him what I was looking for - some Texas hooch to bring back to Madison - and he took me over to some stuff called Winchester, and said it was really good, blah blah blah. Turned out it wasn't from Texas at all, but I did buy a bottle on his recommendation (along with some other stuff clearly labeled from Texas). Then when I get back here, I googled Winchester bourbon, and there was a post on some review somewhere basically ripping on it, saying it was kind of a "house bourbon" made specially for TW, not of great quality, etc. And my judgment is it was about a 5 out of 10, nothing special, altho not expensive either. So, sounds like the staff guy "steered" me over to some house brand over other brands more in line with what I was actually looking for. So just a caution, keep your eyes open and aware that they have some "house brands" they may be steering you toward if you ask for suggestions.

I did buy two liters of Angel's Envy bourbon there, in Texas, priced at $39.99, and at Woodman's it is $49.99. So, you know, that's 20%! Not bad.

I will be going there and will probably spend some money there, so I'm not dogging them totally. I'd just say, if price is your main criteria, they won't necessarily be the cheapest. And beware the staff recommendations.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 am

We checked it out and ended up with a bottle of Chabanneaux xo that I've never found at Woodman's, for a price lower than what the interwebs says it ought to cost. The only liquor store in town where I've seen it charged twelve bucks more.

Seems to be in keeping with how most big box stores operate these days: they do have bargains but they make up for it by selling more popular items for more than you'd pay elsewhere because they expect you won't want to hop around getting the best price for everything.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:14 pm

I went last weekend looking for beer. I ended up going to Woodman’s. I wasn’t impressed by the selection, let alone it was warm on the shelf. I did hear a couple of people say they found some sort of liquer they could not get anywhere else.

It was very crowded.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”