Drunkest cities

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Drunkest cities

Postby Beaver » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm glad I don't live in Green Bay for several reasons.

The drunkest city in every state
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... topstories

"Wisconsin
Drunkest city: Green Bay
> MSA adults binge or heavy drinking: 26.5% (top 10%)
> State adults binge or heavy drinking: 24.5% (2nd highest)
> Alcohol-related driving deaths: 50.5% (top 10%)

Green Bay is the heaviest drinking metro area in both Wisconsin and the United States. Some 26.5% of area adults drink excessively compared to 24.5% of adults in Wisconsin and 18.0% of adults nationwide. Despite widespread alcohol abuse in the metro area, adults in Green Bay report fewer mentally or physically unhealthy days per month on average than is typical nationwide/ As is often the case in heavy drinking areas, alcohol-impaired driving appears to be a considerable problem in Green Bay. The metro area is one of only five nationwide where more than half of all driving deaths involve alcohol.

Minnesota
Drunkest city: Mankato-North Mankato
> MSA adults binge or heavy drinking: 23.6% (top 10%)
> State adults binge or heavy drinking: 21.1% (6th highest)
> Alcohol-related driving deaths: 18.0% (bottom 10%)

Illinois
Drunkest city: Bloomington
> MSA adults binge or heavy drinking: 21.5% (top 10%)
> State adults binge or heavy drinking: 21.2% (5th highest)
> Alcohol-related driving deaths: 35.1%"

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Drunkest cities

Postby Igor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Beaver wrote:Despite widespread alcohol abuse in the metro area, adults in Green Bay report fewer mentally or physically unhealthy days per month on average than is typical nationwide

Drinking to celebrate vs. drinking to drown your sorrows likely does the same damage to your body, but people that are driven to drink by depression seem like they would be more likely to have associated health issues, whether mental, physical, or psychosomatic. Despite what people here may think, I would guess that less of the Green Bay drinkers are depressed as compared to other areas.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:31 pm

I think many substance abusers are self medicating.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I think many substance abusers are self medicating.

That's a fairly obvious conclusion, although actual evidence would be nice. I like craft beer, and it is not unusual (like once a week) for me to drink more than I should. Am I "self-medicating"? And if so, why? My life isn't perfect, but I'm pretty happy most of the time. I do have a problem with judgy tee-totalers, but I realize that I have to coexist. The whole "self-medicating" schtick just comes off as buzz words to me. When you say that, what, exactly, are you talking about?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am

Green Bay? I thought it was nearby Appleton.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:22 pm

gargantua wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:I think many substance abusers are self medicating.

That's a fairly obvious conclusion, although actual evidence would be nice. I like craft beer, and it is not unusual (like once a week) for me to drink more than I should. Am I "self-medicating"? And if so, why? My life isn't perfect, but I'm pretty happy most of the time. I do have a problem with judgy tee-totalers, but I realize that I have to coexist. The whole "self-medicating" schtick just comes off as buzz words to me. When you say that, what, exactly, are you talking about?
Garg, I'm referring to those who use daily. I think it's a shame that mental health problems still bear such a stigma.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:13 pm

I see.
After I posted that, I thought about the people I know who smoke pot daily. I used to do that, years ago. Thought I needed it, but when I quit it wasn't a big deal at all. The main change was that I wasn't content to just sit around anymore.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:44 pm

I like a good beer or other booze, but lately I noticed a trend in myself, which I didn't like. Time to pay attention to what's eating me as well as what I'm eating. I absolutely applaud our law enforcement officials who recognize the need to work for better mental health services.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”