Beer Advocate, WI, & New Glarus

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Beer Advocate, WI, & New Glarus

Postby john_titor » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:48 pm

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/state/wi/

I try not to be negative, but New Glarus has never been my thing. I hear of people outside of WI go nuts for it. Am I the philistine?

edit: beer advocate not Beer Advisor
Last edited by john_titor on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Beer Advisor, WI, & New Glarus

Postby gargantua » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:17 pm

It really depends on what you have. Their beers are of uniformly high quality. The out of state buzz is usually about Spotted Cow, which I think of as beer for people who have recently discovered craft beer. To me, it's just OK.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Yeah, I don't do Cow much because it's fairly bland (which explains its popularity, as most beer consumers are not particularly discerning. That's not meant as a knock, it's just an observation. I'm that true rarity -- a beer snob with a very unrefined palette, so it's not for me to judge the tastes of others.) Moon Man and Three Sisters are more my speed and they never let me down. Also a fan of Naked, Snowshoe, Staghorn, and Cabin Fever when they're around.

I dislike fruity ales just in general, so most of the ones at or near the top of the list in the link don't appeal to me at all and I can't say I've ever tried any of the Thumbprints or Dancing Man. I guess my taste is pretty shitty after all, eh?

All that said, I must admit when I'm out and about drinking, I usually go with Ale Asylum stuff if it's available. My go-to for drinking at home/at band practice these days is Founders All-Day IPA (<--also my go-to at Mickey's because they have cans of it for a measly $3.)

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Beer Advocate, WI, & New Glarus

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:15 pm

The first beer I had when I moved to Wisconsin was New Glarus' Hearty Hop Ale, which I chose at random. I remember thinking that if this is par for the course, I'd done gone to heaven.

Haven't had any Wisconsin beer on par since, though some very good ones.

I really dislike their Besotted Sow, or whatever it's called. It's like making love in a punt. But I understand they probably need a commodity beer to support their bottom line.

But their fruit beers, which really ought to be middling, are sensational, too. Not for every occasion, but really interesting.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:39 am

john_titor wrote:I hear of people outside of WI go nuts for it. Am I the philistine?

In-state, too. People like what they like. If you don't like New Glarus, that's the way it is. But you're almost certainly in a minority.

The things people like about New Glarus are clean brews, balanced flavors, and yes, the fact that it's sold only in Wisconsin. Nationally, it's a rarity. And when you look at how much New Glarus sells in just one state compared to "big" craft breweries that sell in multiple states, it's kind of jaw-dropping. People want to get on that train.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Three Sisters

I think you mean Two Women.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:56 am

thebookpolice wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Three Sisters

I think you mean Two Women.

Haha.... that's a strange slip, especially given it was nowhere near breakfast time when I posted.
{in a drunken slur} Guess I just likes the ladies so much I added an extra one!
{drops glass; gets cut off by bartender}

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:00 pm

john_titor wrote:https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/state/wi/

I try not to be negative, but New Glarus has never been my thing. I hear of people outside of WI go nuts for it. Am I the philistine?

Thanks for the fun link. I'm fond of a couple New Glarus brews (Moon Man, Fat Squirrel), but I HATE the Cow — which didn't make the top 100, I see.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:44 pm

gargantua wrote:It really depends on what you have. Their beers are of uniformly high quality. The out of state buzz is usually about Spotted Cow, which I think of as beer for people who have recently discovered craft beer. To me, it's just OK.

Exactly this. Spotted Cow is a safe bet for those Miller drinkers wanting to get a little fancy.

The only time that I am going to order a Spotted Cow is when I'm at the type of place that has a tap list similar to...

Miller
Miller Lite
Bud
Bud Lite
Leinie's Summer Shandy
Spotted Cow

It has a rabid out of state following but I think that's almost entirely due to scarcity. It reminds me a bit of Fat Tire, everyone acted like it was the best beer ever when it was coming to Wisconsin. I excitedly ordered one and thought, "This is it?". It's a fine beer but nothing to get too stoked about.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Sorry to wander off topic a bit. New Belgium beers are OK. But I'd never go out of my way to have one.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Beard wrote:The only time that I am going to order a Spotted Cow is when I'm at the type of place that has a tap list similar to...

Miller
Miller Lite
Bud
Bud Lite
Leinie's Summer Shandy
Spotted Cow

I would happily down a Miller Lite instead of a Spotted Cow. There's room in my heart for the Water of Beers. The Cow, nope.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Ducatista wrote:I would happily down a Miller Lite instead of a Spotted Cow. There's room in my heart for the Water of Beers. The Cow, nope.
And besides, it's way cheaper than beer!

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Miller Lite - talk about piss water!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Why is light beer like making love in canoe?

Because they are both fucking near water.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:53 pm

New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest is one of the better examples of the style, now that the season has arrived. Octoberfests are a nice change of pace from the highly hopped beers I usually enjoy.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:05 am

Madsci wrote:Miller Lite - talk about piss water!

Henry Vilas wrote:Because they are both fucking near water.

That's your response to "the Water of Beers"? I dunno — maybe you could talk some more about how watery it is.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”