Your new favorite beer

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Your new favorite beer

Postby david cohen » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:50 pm

I had 2 different American Pale Ale's from Short's of Michigan, recently into the Madison market. They had a tap takeover at Hop Cat on Wednesday. Both were top notch. As was my quaffing partner:)

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:02 pm

Huh. I've found them to be competent and well-done, but not all that special. Maybe my opinion is due to all the great local beers, like High Coup, Velveteen Habit, Idiot Farm, and more. My opinion, but Short's, while great, doesn't beat any of those.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:59 pm

gargantua wrote:Huh. I've found them to be competent and well-done, but not all that special. Maybe my opinion is due to all the great local beers, like High Coup, Velveteen Habit, Idiot Farm, and more. My opinion, but Short's, while great, doesn't beat any of those.

Perhaps I have the inverse issue, in that my buds are burnt on all our great local beers:)

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:16 pm

Has anybody tried Tavour? Here's their quick spiel:

Tavour wrote:Tavour is exclusive to its members and is simple to use. Here is how it works…

We are not a beer of the month club. You only pay for the beer you chose over the course of the month. Accessing our lineup of delicious member-only beers is free. We will introduce a new beer making waves in the craft beer community almost every day.

If you wish to purchase the beer – just reply to the email and tell us how many you want. For example, you can say “I want 4” – a Tavour team member will process each order so please share any other thoughts you have with us. We love to hear from you!

A friend of mine recommended it. I considered it for myself, but they recommend delivery at work because somebody of age needs to sign for the delivery — so I decided it'd be a great perk for one of the studios. They have a fridge that needs stocking, and they're big beer fans, including an accomplished home brewer.

I haven't gotten my first delivery yet... may pick a couple more bottles. My crate so far:

Voodoo Brewing - Wynona's Big Brown Ale
    Modern Times - Fortunate Island with Grapefruit Zest IPA
    Bale Breaker - Field 41 Pale Ale
    Pike Brewing - XXXXX Foreign Stout
    The Lost Abbey - Angel's Share Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine
    Saint Arnold - Art Car IPA
    Ale Smith Brewing Company - Evil Dead Red
    Double Mountain Brewery - Killer Red Fresh Hop

I'll report back.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Ducatista wrote:Has anybody tried Tavour? Here's their quick spiel:

Tavour wrote:Tavour is exclusive to its members and is simple to use. Here is how it works…

We are not a beer of the month club. You only pay for the beer you chose over the course of the month. Accessing our lineup of delicious member-only beers is free. We will introduce a new beer making waves in the craft beer community almost every day.

If you wish to purchase the beer – just reply to the email and tell us how many you want. For example, you can say “I want 4” – a Tavour team member will process each order so please share any other thoughts you have with us. We love to hear from you!

A friend of mine recommended it. I considered it for myself, but they recommend delivery at work because somebody of age needs to sign for the delivery — so I decided it'd be a great perk for one of the studios. They have a fridge that needs stocking, and they're big beer fans, including an accomplished home brewer.

I haven't gotten my first delivery yet... may pick a couple more bottles. My crate so far:

Voodoo Brewing - Wynona's Big Brown Ale
    Modern Times - Fortunate Island with Grapefruit Zest IPA
    Bale Breaker - Field 41 Pale Ale
    Pike Brewing - XXXXX Foreign Stout
    The Lost Abbey - Angel's Share Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine
    Saint Arnold - Art Car IPA
    Ale Smith Brewing Company - Evil Dead Red
    Double Mountain Brewery - Killer Red Fresh Hop

I'll report back.

Thanks for the tip! Now I can blame you when my wife moans about the credit card abuse:) Seriously though, I signed up for this service and have ordered a select number of bottles/cans. I've always felt "trapped" here in flyover land, not because we have shitty beer (we most certainly do not) but because I need to visit my son in LA or my cousin in Maine to sample the best of those regions. Having traveled the UK and Germany with the idea that "the liver is evil, it must be punished", it's always interesting to see how us Yanks re-invent a good pint....plus it's fun to get alcohol delivered to your doorstep. I used to get Surly delivered when they weren't in Wisconsin, and winter IS a-comin'!

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:55 pm

First off, Ducatista, you ROCK! I'm on my second monthly shipment from Tavour and Woodman's hath been rendered obselete (well, almost). My wine cellar's beer section is taking up way too much space, and I'm laying down everything over 10% ABV for at least a year...I've picked up the following, notes on those I have quaffed:

Brasserie de l'Abbaye Val Dieu Blonde
Almanac's Farmers Reserve Raspberry Sour- Gave this an A-
Bale Breaker's Bottomcutter IIPA- GREAT stuff from the Pacific NW
Belching Beaver Phantom Bride IPA
Boundary Bay IPA
Champion Brewery Megaladon Imperial Coffee Porter
Lost Abbey's Judgement Day
Modern Times (San Diego) Sleepless City and Trueland Pale Ale- both ok above average but not amazing
Orkney's Dark Island Scotch Ale- disappointingly poor example
Stillwater's On Fleek- very nice and STRONG at 14.5%
AleSmith Double Red IPA
Anchorage's Love and the Death of Damnation
Baerlic's Arctos Winter Ale
Berkshire's Cabin Fever
Breakside's La Tormenta
Bronx Brewery No Resolutions Double IPA- VERY Drinkable
Cascade Brewing Sang Noir
Fort George's Magnanimous IPA
Gigantic's Shazoo Imperial Milk Stout
Highland Brewing (Asheville NC) Thunderstruck Coffee Porter- great Porter but not much "coffee"
Lord Hobo's Boom Sauce New England IPA
Melvin Brewing's Killer Bees
Pelican's MacPelican Wee Heavy
Snake River's Pako's IP and Zonker Stout
Stone/Firestone Walker/21st Amendment- El Camino (un)Real
Three Magnet's Double IPA
Track 7's Left Eye Right Eye Double IPA

The liver is evil, it must be punished, or at least tickled on occasion! Thanks for the tip!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:12 pm

Yay, so glad to hear it! The work folks love it, too. Really great concept.

Yeah, that coffee porter... I've found some of their descriptions a bit misleading. Sometimes it's hard to tell when they're talking about flavor notes and when they're talking about an honest-to-god flavor, know what I mean?

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Yeah I was disappointed in the Highland Coffee Porter considering all the GREAT beers from Highland I have enjoyed while back in North Carolina. It was a great porter but I couldn't detect even a hint of coffee- much like new Smoked Porter from Karben 4, where I just don't get the "smoke" I am looking for. I figure I'll just keep notes on some of these beers so I can say yes or no the next time they get offered. The BEST part of Tavour is getting hard to find beer from regions like the Northwest. That and sharing them with a few special friends. I'm making a concerted effort to drink them at the proper temperatures as well- some of the purported "flavor notes" are more apt to be evident when quaffed properly, and my cellar sits about 56F this time of year:)

After the holidays I'll have more feedback on individual beers on my list. I can't drink an entire 750 ML bottle of strong ale alone and my musician son is coming home from LA to help dad out!

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:50 pm

david cohen wrote:I can't drink an entire 750 ML bottle of strong ale alone...

Nobody likes a quitter.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:28 am

david cohen wrote:My wine cellar's beer section is taking up way too much space, and I'm laying down everything over 10% ABV for at least a year...I've picked up the following, notes on those I have quaffed:
[...lots of IPAs and pales...]

Two things: First, I hope you aren't cellaring hops-forward beers like the ones you listed, even if they are over 10%ABV. You seem pretty on the ball but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't ask. Second, don't actually lay them down, okay? With very few exceptions, beers are usually best cellared on their bottoms. (Again, you may have used the term colloquially, if so, mea culpa.)

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:22 pm

thebookpolice wrote:
david cohen wrote:My wine cellar's beer section is taking up way too much space, and I'm laying down everything over 10% ABV for at least a year...I've picked up the following, notes on those I have quaffed:
[...lots of IPAs and pales...]

Two things: First, I hope you aren't cellaring hops-forward beers like the ones you listed, even if they are over 10%ABV. You seem pretty on the ball but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't ask. Second, don't actually lay them down, okay? With very few exceptions, beers are usually best cellared on their bottoms. (Again, you may have used the term colloquially, if so, mea culpa.)

You are correct on both counts Sir. Hop forward ones get to the front of the line and the big guys are standing in the cases they arrived in. One of the great things about Tavour is that the offerings are all recently bottled/canned, so the hoppy ones don't suffer from age/storage issues.

Last night I had the Snake River Zonker Stout, their version of an "export" or "foreign stout". It was quite nice alongside some freshly steamed clams. Tonight it's Snake River's Pako IPA with Dungeness Crab Tacos.

As an aside, I just found a bottle of BigFoot Barley Wine from 2008. The one I tried in 2013 was AMAZING. Saving this one to split with a long time friend who has had some serious medical issues the past year but is now cleared to enjoy his spirits:)

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:03 pm

david cohen wrote:Last night I had the Snake River Zonker Stout, their version of an "export" or "foreign stout". It was quite nice alongside some freshly steamed clams.

That's some good pairing work.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Melvin's Brewing Killer Bees- awful! like drinking a cornfield.
Lord Hobo's Boom Sauce- New England style IPA blew my socks off. Best IPA I've tasted in a long time!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:52 pm

I see that a local New England style IPA is being produced by Untitled Art and Octopi Brewing. Juicy IPA is $15 a four pack. At that price it better be very good.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:09 pm

The Malt House has Juicy IPA on tap. At least they did as of Friday.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”