Brandy, Vodka or Gin?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Brandy, Vodka or Gin?

Postby Bwis53 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:26 pm

My Dr. told me Vodka or Gin has less sugar in it than Brandy. I said the price was so reasonable for a nice Brandy. I usually have brandy and water. Aren't vodka and gin quite a bit more expensive? I've enjoyed Gimlets and Tom Collins in the past. (I like a drink that tastes good.) I'm bettin' you guy are much more experienced than I am, so let's hear it!

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brandy, Vodka or Gin?

Postby Shorty » Tue May 31, 2016 8:28 pm

Brandy is dandy but liquor is quicker. Sorry, I don't know much about these matters. I like de-caf tea, lemonade, and filtered water.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 31, 2016 8:44 pm

I think of brandies as being really expensive, so I guess it depends on what kind you like. Traditionally, brandy is distilled wine, aged, but there are also flavored eaux de vie that are labeled as brandy. Pear brandy, for example. But even then, production methods and quality can vary tremendously.

The most well known brandy is probably Cognac and a bottle of good Cognac will set you back at least $50 these days, so it's not exactly a bargain drink. In any case, comparing vodka, gin, and brandies doesn't make sense to me, since the only common trait is alchohol.

Drink what tastes good, and experiment. If it's a matter only of calories, or of lack of sugar, vodka will be your muse, though there will always be plenty of calories, I suspect.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 31, 2016 8:52 pm

Brandy and cognac are about the only hard liquors I drink neat. All the others get a mix and usually it's got more calories than the liquor so for me it's not a question of which one will give me more muffin top.

But now I do feel the urge for a wee dram from that bottle I keep hidden away from friends and family.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 31, 2016 8:58 pm

I once made the mistake of asking for Cognac when I was traveling through the Armagnac region of France. That's like asking for a highland single malt in Kentucky. Distilled wine is distilled wine, right? Nope.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue May 31, 2016 9:06 pm

fennel wrote:I think of brandies as being really expensive, so I guess it depends on what kind you like.

Bwis53 wrote:Aren't vodka and gin quite a bit more expensive?

In alcohol, just as in many other things, there are cheap versions and expensive versions of everything.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 31, 2016 9:21 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:In alcohol, just as in many other things, there are cheap versions and expensive versions of everything.
Sure, but the overall difference between buying a cheap vodka vs. buying a cheap brandy can't be evaluated until the next day. There, cheap vodka will typically win in terms of least damage inflicted.

Expensive vs cheap doesn't mean that much unless you know what you're buying. At the very high end, it's usually the marketing campaign that you're paying for.

BTW, the thread title reminds me of Weed, Whites, and Wine . Was that a past thread title? It somehow rings a bell ...

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue May 31, 2016 9:37 pm

Bwis, do you like bourbon? Bulleit is fairly inexpensive, and perfectly drinkable on the rocks.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:06 pm

I'm looking for lower sugar. Why not a dry gimlet, made with gin and lime juice? Or a screwdriver with vodka and diluted oj?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 31, 2016 10:18 pm

Well, sugar is sugar, so maybe skip the OJ altogether.

Have you considered dry white wine? Grab yourself a decent Muscadet. Or maybe a Vinho Verde.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue May 31, 2016 10:19 pm

Bulleit(or whiskey in general) doesn't have sugar and doesn't need a mixer, unless that ain't your style.

Gimlets are an excellent choice; I've never tried it myself, but filtering cheap vodka through a Britta should make a solid cocktail.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 31, 2016 10:30 pm

I like all three of them, but I've come to favor rum. I even toured a rum distillery in Jamaica. You can make a wide variety of mixed drinks with it, and can also have it up although I usually don't. Used to love gin and tonics years ago, and still have one occasionally. Also used to enjoy vodka gimlets, forgot all about those.

Obviously rum is a poor choice if you're trying to avoid sugar.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 31, 2016 10:39 pm

O.J. wrote:Bulleit(or whiskey in general) doesn't have sugar and doesn't need a mixer, unless that ain't your style.
Eh, that sounds like ad copy. Bourbon is fermented corn sugar, essentially. Up to a certain point, it can be modified with other sugars — rye, say. There will always be sugars in a fermented beverage — that's the source of the alchohol. The question is, how much remaining sugar is there?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue May 31, 2016 10:50 pm

fennel wrote:
O.J. wrote:Bulleit(or whiskey in general) doesn't have sugar and doesn't need a mixer, unless that ain't your style.
Eh, that sounds like ad copy. Bourbon is fermented corn sugar, essentially. Up to a certain point, it can be modified with other sugars — rye, say. There will always be sugars in a fermented beverage — that's the source of the alchohol. The question is, how much remaining sugar is there?

Sugar is converted into alcohol during fermentation and distillation.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 31, 2016 11:01 pm

O.J. wrote:
fennel wrote:

Sugar is converted into alcohol during fermentation and distillation.
Fermentation will convert some or most of the sugars, depending on the method and intended outcome. Distillation may then reduce the proportion of remaining sugars, but won't convert any more.

But if you're saying that sugars are sometime added, post fermentation/distillation, no doubt that's true.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”