Forum God/Goddess

Hopcat

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Stopped in late Tuesday afternoon. Not very bu

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hopcat

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:06 am

Well, sure, but de Garde doesn't distribute to Wisconsin -- OHHHHH! BEER NERD JOKE.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:22 am

130 taps and they don't have obscure Oregonian Berliner Weisse beers? Soglin was right.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:03 pm

Busy. I wonder where most of my post wandered off to. Anyway, I thought that the service was good given the newness of the place. It's kind of noisy in there, and it didn't help that they were playing 80's music at too high volume. It had kind of a college-y feel, appropriate given the location. I found it to be pricey, but in an odd way. Burgers are half off during happy hour, which is a good thing since mine would normally go for $11.50. It was good but there was nothing special about it. The crack fries are good. The Wisconsin beers are priced well, as are many of the typical craft brews one can obtain at many other bars in town. But anything hard to get on tap here is priced accordingly. For example, a 10 oz snifter of Devil Dancer for 10 bucks. Awesome beer but, 10 bucks. We had a nice view of pedestrian traffic on State. Particularly noteworthy was the completely nude woman walking along with the rest of the crowd. Of course one needn't have gone to Hopcat to see that. Don't know that I'll put it in my regular rotation of beer places, but I'll give it a few more chances.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:15 pm

gargantua wrote:Busy. I wonder where most of my post wandered off to.

It went over here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61160

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:04 pm

gargantua wrote: But anything hard to get on tap here is priced accordingly. For example, a 10 oz snifter of Devil Dancer for 10 bucks. Awesome beer but, 10 bucks.

I think that retails for $18 a four-pack, so it's not that far out of whack when you consider the normal bar markup.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:12 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
gargantua wrote:Busy. I wonder where most of my post wandered off to.

It went over here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61160

Thx GUTC.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:57 am

Sorry, my dweeby joke derailed the fully-formed post in the other thread. I'll quote the original post here so if you want to delete the other one, you can, garg.

Stopped in late Tuesday afternoon. Not very busy but business was picking up by six. We thought our burgers were OK for the happy hour half price, but not worth the full price. Full price for my Angry Cow burger was $11.50 . You have to be kidding. We both liked the crack fries. Excellent tap list, but the price for the more unusual beers was a little high. $12 for a ST Bernardus ABT 12? Nutty. But the prices for most of the beers you could find elsewhere are reasonable. So we'll be back when we have money to blow. Also saw a nude lady walking down State, but you can stand in the street to see that at no charge.

Neade
Forum Addict

Postby Neade » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:16 pm

The craft beer bubble is coming soon. I can smell it from here.

Currently getting my ducks in a row to open a bar that has one beer on tap. It will be called Mr. Brew Cat.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:14 pm

Neade wrote:The craft beer bubble is coming soon. I can smell it from here.

Currently getting my ducks in a row to open a bar that has one beer on tap. It will be called Anheuser Douche.

Fixd.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:40 pm

They have another quirk that I found a bit obnoxious. If you choose a $5 beer from the tap list, you actually have to pay $5.25. The tap list prices don't include sales tax. I've had occasion to visit most of the brewpubs and beer bars in town, and haven't encountered it anywhere else. A minor quibble in the scheme of things, but it annoyed me.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:55 pm

gargantua wrote:They have another quirk that I found a bit obnoxious. If you choose a $5 beer from the tap list, you actually have to pay $5.25. The tap list prices don't include sales tax. I've had occasion to visit most of the brewpubs and beer bars in town, and haven't encountered it anywhere else. A minor quibble in the scheme of things, but it annoyed me.

Huh, I didn't even notice that on my tab. Did they charge 5% flat? Sales tax is 5.5%, so maybe they think they're giving you a deal(but most likely don't want to deal with pennies).

My burger was decent. Good size, solid bun, but overcooked as usual. Crack fries are pretty damn good, but I'm a bit of a pepper freak. Got the Vladimir Poutine, because I can't resist a bad pun. Decent poutine, but the pierogi sucked. Solid service, but I doubt this place will make it on our regular schedule.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:49 am

5% flat, just sitting at the bar ordering a beer. It probably is just added to the tab if you're at a table and getting food. That's typical. Most places, if you just order a beer at the bar and the menu says 5 bucks, you pay 5 bucks (plus tip).

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:02 am

Yeah, I can't recall ever being charged sales tax for a drink ordered from the bar.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:14 pm

Many chain restaurants add sales tax to their drink prices, some may have changed that policy. Applebee's used to add tax.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”