Pappy Van Winkle

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
waubers

Pappy Van Winkle

Postby waubers » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Curious if anyone has seen any liquor stores with Pappy Van Winkle bourbon? Trying to score a bottle as a gift.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pappy Van Winkle

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Star Liquor had a lottery a month or so back, on several different high end liquors. (Not a lottery to win one. It was a free chance to spend a hundred bucks on a bottle of booze.) There were three or four bottles of Pappy in that list. One Family Reserve, two 12 years, and one 10 year.

Those are the only bottles of Van Winkle I've ever seen in Madison.

If you want to give a liquor store clerk a nice chuckle, ask for it by name.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:51 pm

Can't help you score any PVW, but we just finished a bottle we've had in the cabinet for at least 12 yrs. It only got drank when someone passed away, and then, it was usually 2 shots a piece...so it lasted a while. As Lt. Col. Henry Blake used to say, "at that age it should know its way down."

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:40 pm

david cohen wrote:It only got drank when someone passed away...
Yo, I've been that drank before, and I couldn't conjugate either.

psforsberg

Postby psforsberg » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:19 am

The Malt House had a Pappy tasting over the holidays, but I don't think Bill would be willing to tell anyone where he managed to score his.

a3g

Postby a3g » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:01 am

I have a 2008 20 year old Pappy for sale (J2760812:56).

It is listed on Langtons fine wine on line auctions (Australia) @
www.langtons.com.au

Auction ends on the 9th June @ 7pm AET.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:20 pm

psforsberg wrote:The Malt House had a Pappy tasting over the holidays, but I don't think Bill would be willing to tell anyone where he managed to score his.

This is how to do it. I had a flight there maybe a couple of years back.

Not a big hard liquor guy but, about 10 years back I asked around a forum I frequented for single malt recommendations for my Dad's birthday. One person posted, that while not a single malt, Pappy Van Winkle was better than the best single malts at half their cost. It was either Steve's or Star that had it in stock. It has been a while, I can't remember if it was the 15 or 20, but it was a little under $100. I got him that and a single malt I can't remember. That's my story. An example of another investment opportunity I was too dumb to take advantage of. I never get to tell this story, I appreciate your indulgence.

Buying Kentucky bourbon from an Ozzie is nothing but a gentle breeze from the buttocks of our Global Economy.

p.s. currently hoarding eggs

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:06 am

A good friend of mine picked up a bottle a few years back from out of state, maybe PA. I want to say it was the 20 but I'm not 100% certain. He offered me a dram two years ago. We both agreed that it was quite good but not earth-shatteringly so and definitely not up to the hype and associated cost.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”